Le Lighthearted Aesthetics Thread... Le.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, February 7, 2014.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Great way to hurt someone's eyes.

And let me hop over back to Bill's base after this extended moon battle....I'll just use my camera hotkeys.....

OW OH GOD turn off cinematic mode turn it off AHHHH I CAN"T SEE.

whew.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

For the record, SupCom used mass and energy, not metal. Which is why reclaiming them made sense. I'm not really sold on the simple, cartoony fashion the game has, but I don't think it would run very well otherwise. It looks nice, but I prefer the gritty gunmetals of SupCom to saturday morning Transformer aesthetics.
  3. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Thank you for telling me that. I mean I knew it anyway and used it as part of my reasoning for having flamethrowers and not reclaiming, but hey. You assumed that I'm not a geek, thank you ^^
    I think the blocky aesthetics will look better once they're polished up a bit.
  4. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

As stated on your other thread, I'd love to have natural random events that happen, but don't effect game play-- they just look awesome. Volcanoes erupting could work like that by having the lava stop flowing before it hits the bottom, and tsunamis that just raise the water level for a moment or two.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  5. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

Welcome to General discussion

I would loveee to see these astetics options in the game
    +1 for that
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

uhhh I love this thread.
  7. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

More significant looking projectiles. Just take a look at the following pictures:
    [rant]
    This, I am okay with, though I don't understand the fire coming from the middle
    1.PNG
    These are tank shells (apparently) I think they should look more, I guess, shelly and less energy bally
    2.PNG
    This is from a laser turret, to me it looks like a fluorescent light, it should be red or some other color at least (mod?)
    3.PNG
    This is what happens when any projectile hits anything, not sure how to improve this, but I feel like it could be better
    4.PNG
    this is what bots shoot, it looks like a mini tank "shell", yet it is called a laser...
    5.PNG

[/rant]
    Now, before any goes beta on me, I already know.
  8. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Some good ideas in this thread, for me I would love to see weather on planets, don't matter if it effects gameplay or not I just think it would be kool for example, snow on ice planets, rain effects, or volcanic ash that falls on the lava planets. Maybe some natural disasters like a Tsunami wave if a nuke explodes in the ocean or something perhaps even have earthquakes certain biome types which you can set what type of natural disasters that particular planet type has in the system editor drop down menu, or none at all if you don't want that.
  9. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

I think we need more TA style energy balls. Even a weapon that looks like the D-gun would be awesome.
  10. eroticburrito

Used to love how the D-Gun would create a straight line of destruction and set the surroundings aflame lol.
  11. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Have a pic?
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

Clouds and stuff will mess with your view .... not good ...
  13. eroticburrito

Read the quoted passage in my OP please, it shows how atmospherics could be implemented without obstructing line of sight.
  14. MrTBSC

Still same problem you would obscure interaction between orbital layer and the other layers ...
  15. eroticburrito

In what way? The Astraeus would be selected and then you'd find your unit on the ground as now. Same goes for the laser. You'd just zoom in slightly, past the very high cloud layer. We already zoom in when picking a unit for the Astraeus to pick up, or for the laser to target.
  16. MrTBSC

So you now want to force me to zoom in? Rather bad design
  17. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Can we please keep it light hearted in here? Its just an idea thread.

Anyway,

I want to see clouds on mountain ranges where the tall mountains are visible above the cloud layer.

I think that would be cool to see.
  18. MrTBSC

I dont think i offend anybody by critizising an idea that might disturb gameplay for everybody else ..
  19. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Wasn't saying you were offensive, this thread is about aesthetics and what you would like to see. (or at least that's what I thought this thread was about). I'd rather just see more posts of people posting cool aesthetic ideas instead of ideas being analyzed for gameplay merit.

IMO. purely my opinion though.
  20. eroticburrito

Not offended at all, but I did take your concerns into account in my OP (as I share them) so your criticism wasn't especially constructive.

Aesthetics shouldn't negatively impact upon gameplay, so if you think an aesthetic might then by all means point it out.
    This thread's really for pretty ideas though, so what would you like to see? :)