Layoffs

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by Remy561, October 17, 2015.

1. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

So the other RTS games like Act of Agression are hurting Ubi?
  2. veep

veep Member

Indeed.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think an 'official' statement is unlikely, this is after all an internal hr matter. The free availability of information on the web is the only reason we know about it.
  4. veep

veep Member

I don't think it's that simple. Sorian was a highly visible and active developer as well as obviously the developer intimately familiar with the AI. It is very valid to read his departure as the end of AI development, which one may debate the impact or validity of but which is not a purely internal matter any more. Likewise I'm pretty sure I read that Michelle Krater was the only person handling PA customer support; if her "redundancy" is not a valid reason to worry, then I don't know man...

Just my 2c.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm not saying your wrong, just also remember uber is a business, and normally businesses wouldn't discuss employment matters publicly for a whole host of reasons (many of which legal) so I suspect there won't be a reply specifically related to these layoffs. We might get a comment on the general stance of the company on development of PA as a whole, maybe, but chances are they'll say nothing.

After all if they come out and say 'that's it, were done developing PA' it would hurt future sales (people these days have a big hang up about games being 'dead' when a few years ago once a game released that was usually it for development and yet games continued for years after regardless).

Alternatively if they state they're still actively developing PA, they open themselves up to the 'you promised x' mentality.

Strikes me as a rock vs hard place scenario. I suspect the reality is likely they are going to continue to do bug fixes for PA, but I'm personally not expecting much new content (and tbh I'm not sure how much there is left to add to the game really, most remaining ideas are quite complex and would be difficult to balance and titans plays pretty well imo).
    MrTBSC, stuart98, Quitch and 3 others like this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

7. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

8. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

SORIAN STILL HAS AN UBER TAG IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY GUYS.

</chemtrails>
    squishypon3 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  9. tatsujb

they get to keep their uber tag after they leave. haven't you noticed yet?
  10. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Heck, metabolical is still an administrator, which I have to assume doesn't imply any actual admin rights.
  11. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Like the great Jim Morrison said..

This is the end. Anyway I think it's time to move on from PA. Better now than when Uber inevitably shutters it in a few months.
  12. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

Act of Agression looks interesting.
  13. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I thought I made the humour obvious :(
    Clopse and killerkiwijuice like this.
  14. tatsujb

nnnah it doesn't really
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

no idea what act of aggression has to do with ubisoft .. it's not published by them but focus interactive
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

I have it and can say don't bother. It does have a basically non existent campaign like PA but PA's campaign is a bit more believable as at least Uber understood that giant robots can only do what giant robots do best.

Game play goes like this loose one unit in the beginning of the game and it will snowball really hard as they still haven't balanced the whole "Mass one unit and win" issue like dox. Like standard C&C Air is effectively useless and overly expensive and you will most likely never see the scale of destruction you did in PA.

oh and don't get me started on the "wounded" units. You ever see a person roll back and fourth on your screen for about 24 mins? It's annoying.

There are 2 types of viewing, the more standard look at the game play from your chair in low orbit or the "new feature to RTS's" It puts you in a much more zoomed out (Like Pa vision when looking at the planet from orbit) and everything is much more clear and obvious ...you just can see any of the actual textures and everything has the Blue is you, green is allies, and red is enemy coloures and it's very dull but you have to use it to actually know what is going on at all times.

My suggestion before you think about buying...this game... is watch some streams or YouTube vids on it and if you are still interested wait for it on sale. Don't pay anything above ~30$
    (For any kind of credibility I have put in 32 hrs into the game.)
    Last edited: October 19, 2015
    stuart98 and Quitch like this.
  17. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Sorry it took so long , had to go with nukes for the com explosion rather than unit canons.
    stuart98, Furballman, cdrkf and 5 others like this.
  18. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

SO MUCH NUKE NOISE
  19. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

┌(˵༎ຶ ل͟ ༎ຶ˵)7

.·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.

༼;´༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽

༼ノಠل͟ಠ༽ノ ︵ ┻━┻
    Remy561 and dom314 like this.
  20. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Damm didn't know this game was being made. It looks awesome and it has stardock on its back. Maybe they should absorb Uber. On the other hand maybe some fresh eyes might do it better.