Layoffs

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by Remy561, October 17, 2015.

1. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Last edited: October 18, 2015
    EdWood, badfucatus and Nicb1 like this.
  2. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

...wut
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

OMG! I loved @mkrater that sucks!

I'm less worried about @Sorian though. I think he'll find a job no time. I hear Oxide/Stardock are hirering for AOTS and they claim they want to make the "best RTS AI yet"........ that ain't gonna happen without the best RTS AI coder..... just my two cents. :p
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I checked the Twitter feeds, he apparently got a new job same day which is awesome.

Makes you wonder what uber are doing though when they ditch customer support and a top engineer... I guess that explains the heavy focus on ai patches recently.
    ace63, tatsujb, stuart98 and 2 others like this.
  5. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Sad too see them go :/ But what about Titans, does this mean the end of support for the game since they layoff the
    guy who makes the AI.
    Last edited: October 17, 2015
  6. cdrkf

I'd say these layoffs infer an end to new content patches for PA and titans (therefore little need for significant ai changes, the ai can adjust to small balance changes after all).

I think it also points to uber no longer directly distributing they're games (which was evident with no titans purchase available through uber store) removing the need for as much customer support.

Well PA has been quite the ride, and uber have done a great job with it imo.
    EdWood, Nicb1 and Remy561 like this.
  7. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Isn't this quite too dark view on the situation? End of PA and nothing more?
  8. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

9. cdrkf

End of new content for PA isn't 'nothing more'. I still think uber will continue to develop games (e.g. wayward sky), and these will be distributed through 3rd party networks I.e. steam or PSn and so on.

Of course this is just me speculating.
  10. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

MKRATER WAS WHAT!?!? Hate to be the fem nazi but wasn't she the only female in the company (gender has nothing to do with who's good at a job i know but it's ust sad to see the industry i'm going into is still so male dominated... NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH MEN I LOVE MEN!!!... i'm digging myself a hole aren't i =P)... also, she was my go to for female problems why would you guys!?!?!?
    RIP </3
    I wish you luck in your future ventures @mkrater <3
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

12. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Uber have had other female employees in the past!
    Though i think they may have gone in the last set of layoffs.

This is sad news indeed, though if i may say so regardless, anyone who worked on pa should be immensely proud of the feats therein!
    stormingkiwi, MrTBSC, devoh and 2 others like this.
  13. cdrkf

Agreed, all good things come to an end, and just because development may be winding up by no means signals the end of PA as a game. I think TA and sup com have shown us that!
    devoh likes this.
  14. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Though, outside the SUPCOM master server, they're P2P while PA is not.
    tatsujb likes this.
  15. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I feel like people are overreacting just because someone was fired. People get fired all the time. Same happened to Everquest Next, and game is still worked on.
  16. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Fired != redundancy, just for clarity's sake.
    devoh, cptconundrum, Quitch and 2 others like this.
  17. cdrkf

Well I wasn't suggesting Uber were going to close the servers (although if it ever got to that, they'ed open up the API so we can more easily show privately hosted servers I'm sure).

Lets be clear- neither were 'fired' (seriously, that has very specific connotations of misconduct and I'm certain neither did anything wrong). They were made redundant (i.e. surplus to current company requirements through no fault of their own), which is what happens a lot.

Why I think it indicates a wind down on development for PA is any new in game content will require specific support building into the AI. Letting Sorian go means no new AI development, ergo they're not expecting the game to change.
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I would still see Sorian improving the AI in his spare time though ;)
    wpmarshall likes this.
  19. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

You are assuming that no one else in Uber can do anything with AI. I doubt that is true.
    websterx01 likes this.
  20. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member