Lava Biome Has No Lava

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Tomasina, October 28, 2014.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yup tank treads use scrolling UVs. And that message was from 2014 anyway :p
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

People should stop necroing :p
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

The shader can change over time, but the shader doesn't control the input variables it receives. So if there is no time component given to the shader, there is no deterministic action it can take that makes the pixel change over time.
  4. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

interesting. However I think this has more to do with shaders that are being used for muzzleflashes and general visual effects like gunshots. As with water, lava and sun they use a shader which runs indefinitly. I dont know if its possible to extract those shaders and change them though. If its possible, than making new lava can be done.
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

A shader is a small c-like program that gets compiled and run on the GPU to compute vertex postitions, or in the case of water effects, computing the color of a pixel (fragment). The water changes over time, that means that there are two options. One is that the shader actually gets some information about the progress of the animation, something like time. The other is that the shader doesn't get that information, but instead the rendering engine updates the UV coordinates on each frame like you mentioned. I would lean towards the first since it is kinda a waste of bandwidth to be sending a bunch of UV updates when you can just compute the offsets on the GPU by giving the shader a time-like parameter.
    rivii likes this.