Latitude & Longitude Overlay

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by urablahblah, April 20, 2013.

1. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

In terms of notifying your allies that's what flares are for, giving and reading coordinates is too slow and cumbersome.

As far as navigation, strategic icons would take care of that. And the shapes of the continents should be recognizable enough.

Overall I don't think this would have much use beyond aesthetics. And I'd rather less **** cover the graphics.
  2. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I think this is a good idea that should be relatively trivial to implement, and as long as it's toggleable then everyone's a winner.
  3. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

Guys, guys... temporary and static pings. FAF F5-F8 Wow, three pages and no one said anything. :roll:
  4. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

There's two separate ideas here. One is having lat & long for personal reference to help with orientation. The second is to use that data to communicate positions to others.

The first idea has merit, and while this specific solution isn't something we've been thinking about necessarily, methods for quickly giving planet relative orientation information is important to alleviate confusion.

Trying to use that data for player communication is less useful as, as others have already pointed out, we can handle that through more direct means. Why would we make you type in information like that when we could just let you add a link in your msg to an arbitrary position / view of any point?
  5. thapear

thapear Member

I'm all for lat/long coordinates being available to the player.
    I'd also like to see some sort of grid (even if it's only a (toggleable)visual overlay), but I've been all for that from the start.
    I'm slightly OCD, so my bases always have to be neat. These things would help me with that.
  6. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Why not named flares which were really cool and useful in supcom?
  7. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

I kind of see that as a different issue. We could arbitrarily align buildings to the equator, but that falls apart quickly as you go towards the poles. This would be better handled by letting you put down one building that's snapped to a lat / long line and all other buildings in close proximity get their snap alignment from that building. Can't say we'll actually implement that, but it will certainly be more than what we have now (which messes with my OCD tendencies too).

Sure. Was more giving an example rather than saying what we'll be doing.