Late Game Planetary Invasion and Other Constructive Thoughts

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by steampunked, September 9, 2014.

?

Would you like Uber to develop an armed interplanetary transport capable of lifting multiple units?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    91.2%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Well, I mean, as long as units don't just despawn and respawn while getting in and out...
  2. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Really what the OP is asking for is a type of spaceship, which Uber has said they are not interested in developing that aspect of gameplay. I would wholly support the inclusion of a balanced set of orbital spaceships, as long as they use the current transport mechanincs, I think they could be modded in. Including all the capabilities in one unit would be overpowered, but splitting it over several orbital ship units would be more balanced.

Here is what I would do:

Orbital Carrier: Carries orbital fighters and ground invasion dropships, and has an array of kinetic anti-orbital weapons. Note that the same cargo space would be used for both, so the player would have to choose how heavy to weight this ships function. Lightly armored, not much HP, this is the "Capship" of the fleet. Large model, should have a generous cargo space though (250 - 500 units).

Orbital Cruiser: Long Range Anti-orbital support unit. Can launch EMP missiles to disable buildings (not units) on the surface below it. Also has anti-orbital missile banks. In addtion, 2 anti-nuke missiles are also mounted. Moderately Armored, Moderate HP. Meduim sized model.

Orbital Destroyer: Short range orbital attack unit. Kinetic Weapons. Can attack orbital or ground units, but its attack it relativaley weak. Heavily Armored, lots of HP. Small Model.

Make them all more expensive than seafaring ships, and they should be slower than current orbital units on planetary transit. Note that under this schema Orbital fighters would not longer be capable of interplanetary transit on their own.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

what did supcom do at a technical level?
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Move the units together in a group, fly transport to that group, lower transport directly above them, animate transport arms, pick up the units with some tractor bean animation, fly transport to target, lower transport, animate transport arms, drop down units with tractor beam

I think it should be obvious that is a lot of work to program, compared to:
    fly transport to unit, remove unit from playfield, add to cargobay, fly transport to target, remove from cargobay, add to playfield.
    tatsujb likes this.
  5. TheLambaster

Well, but all that detail is what makes SupCom transports so awsome...
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. cola_colin

Not even starcraft has transports like that I think, yeah.
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. TheLambaster

StarCraft is extremely simplified anyway. How is that a comparison?
  8. cola_colin

Starcraft has a budget that makes PA's budget look like pocket change.
    tatsujb likes this.
  9. TheLambaster

Well, SupCom-style transports would probably be prone to unreliably behavior, as that is what they often are in SupCom. And this is a No No for StarCraft, so...
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yea and? still doest realy make me intrested in having orbital teleporters .. but i can already see how this will go down .. even if it actualy does make sense being able to build highways and there being the risk of your opponent using them against you .. but still not realy happy about that ... *sighhh*
    Last edited: September 9, 2014
  11. tatsujb

"orbital teleporters"? hold on what? I'm not sure what you think my idea was in the other thread is what I suggested.
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

ok had total brainfart .. and ephiphany at the same time ..
    it may have been mentioned before but this could be actualy great ... taking from your threat
    the orbital fabricator should still be able to build teleporters make them more expensive more energyheavy to maintain but t2 for surfacefabricators ... additionaly the orbital fabricators can build orbital telleporters for better orbital logistics setting up a propper way for orbital superiorty and invasion
    this makes orbital even more supportive for surfacebattles
    considering how quick multiunit transports can get through and the idea of a crossplanetary t2 air unit ...

this is currently just an initial theory how this whole thing could work but man ... this could be pretty intresting even if pretty complex
    Last edited: September 9, 2014
  13. tatsujb

ok sounds neat, but have a look at my idea as a whole, I sure you'll find a whole lot more interesting points with it.