Laser Platform unable to take out an air factory?!

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by doomrater, March 2, 2014.

1. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I was playing around with a laser platform because the computer wasn't smart enough to build umbrellas and I leveled a bunch of buildings with it almost by accident. But then I tried to level an air factory.... and it would just repeatedly kill the plane being built but never actually get to blowing up the factory itself. I found that kinda amusing.... but is that intentional? I don't recall that being an issue back in Beta.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

There's a bug where you can select the units being built on the factory, rather than selecting the factory.

Kinda amusing sometimes.
  3. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Them things have WAY too huge a clickbox when they're still on the platform then. I've clicked all the way around to the corners, even zoomed in, and I must have still been targeting the planes. Oh well, I shortly found his commander exposed and blasted him instead afterwards.
  4. rawrifficus

rawrifficus Member

A tiny attack move circle drag or a patrol circle drag and it will probably then attack the structure.
  5. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

The laser isn't smart enough to target the corners of the building-it will always aim for center of mass.
    So even if you target the building, it's probable the laser is still going to hit the planes.

Imagine if that were the genre-savvy solution: Tanks that build aircraft on their heads to protect from artillery. :p
    ace902902 likes this.
  6. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I feel guilt somehow...

The easy solution is to give the laser satellite enough splash radius that it will hit the airfactory underneath the airplane being built.

A better more and consistent solution would be to make weapons penetrate units that aren't finished yet.
    After all you could basically make a shield by making nanoframes infront of you which would block any shot no matter how powerful it is and I think that is kinda bad.
    corteks and FrozenLord like this.
  7. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I'd like to note that the clickbox issue happens when I am trying to select the air factory to change orders or for some other reason, not just when I'm trying to attack an enemy air factory.
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

This reminds me of the hovercraft factories in TA. Not only did they have way too much hp, they were also very short and had such a large open space in the middle that you would hit the hovertank more often than the actual factory.