KNight's Custom Commander Adventure

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by KNight, March 10, 2014.

1. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Hmmm, Legs dont look thick enough to support such a heavy looking upper body, but that just might be me. Looks awesome overall <3
    ooshr32 likes this.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Have you seen the other commanders? This one has much beefier legs by comparison.

Mike
  3. KNight

Because even Uber uses non-standard poses to show off thier Commanders;

[​IMG]

Got a temp rigging solution set up fully so I can try stuff like this, still more to do before I'd actually do any kind of render on it, lots of poly splitting and junk to do across almost the entire thing so I think I'll wait a bit before I get to that.

Mike
  4. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Love the top half. But sorry but I have to agree re: the legs.

For what it's worth, an analysis from my admittedly non-arty brain follows:

The likes of Alpha/Delta/Progenitor get away with their smaller legs by using a tiny waist section to visually separate the top/bottom halves.
    Theta/Beast just massively exaggerating the difference, so it simply doesn't matter, your eye is pulled up and away from the legs.

Centurion/Nemicus/Rallus illustrate good examples of the more balanced approached for me.

Therefore, I respectfully suggest you try: Pinching-off the waist or Chunking up those legs.
    From what I've seen so far, I don't think you're after a Theta/Beast style, so I skipped the skinny leg option. ;)
  5. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I'm really liking the design of your commander so far.
    In my opinion the lower legs just have to be a bit bulkier.
    Shame that the rest of the community won't get access to it :(
  6. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Manifold!

Also I don't have a problem with the leg bulk now. It's chunky enough in my opinion.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I like its shape a lot, it makes me wonder what shoddy thing I would have made instead. Maybe it is a good thing I didn't pledge that high lol.

I think the legs are fine. If you wanted to match the width more, just make the legs come out to the side a bit more, even humans look skinnylegged when they put them close together but thats why in military stance you have your feet shoulder's length. Maybe make the sides of his legs bulge out more, maybe. Otherwise, keep the legs imho. The legs and everything else you got going on are a lot better than the other PA commanders (and the backers said Delta looked the most human...)

Did I ask what weapon you were going for on the Ugun arm? I think I can tell from it's model.
    Last edited: April 29, 2014
  8. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

There's no horn on this picture! :eek: What did you do with the horn?

Legs are fine. But feet are still weird. Maybe this will be fixed by the texture, but right now I can only see slippers. You could scrap them altogether and go with feetless mecha (would fix knee proportions too), but that would probably look bad when animated...

Also, will you replace your forum avatar with it when it's completely done?
  9. KNight

Guys I don't want to sound dismissive, but I simply can't push the legs any more, the rig is at it's limit. If I were to make the legs noticeably wider they'll clip into the arms, if I try to simply widen the stance not only will they clip into the arms but the joint would result in a very awkward set of animations, not just for the hips but also the ankles.

Go back to page 7 to see an overlay of the mesh and rig and see how far I've pushed the rig already.

For the Uber weapon, I haven't decided yet, I'm trying to hold off as long as possible because honestly I really am disappointed that I'd have to make such a "blind" choice at this stage.

For the horn, I explained it in the initial 1.1.6 update, in short I still like the concept oh it but I didn't think it fit in with the design as a whole.

As for it becoming my new avatar, it's possible but it ultimately depends on that variant I end up going with.

Mike
    Last edited: April 30, 2014
    corteks likes this.
  10. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I think the legs look fine, wouldn't beef them up any more even if you could.

Whole rig looks great basically. Not the most sophisticated feedback ever but... Yeah. Wow. Well done.
    corteks likes this.
  11. KNight

As they say in the Biz, and now for something completely different!

[​IMG]

Like I said, completely different! ;p Trying something more along the lines of Arc Gurren Lagann this time around, also been seeing GIFs of a new-ish(maybe?) Anime with a wicked Main Mecha, I think. Anyways, just blocking some stuff out here, as before the legs are going to be the sticking point again so I'll be trying different things with them here compared to last time.

I also if want to try and make the arm shields something plausibly functional instead of just being a shield, but we'll see.

Honestly not sure how long the "spire" will last in this variant, it'll come down to either the spire or the big shoulders going I figure.

I also figure the Torso will end up "slimming" down more as well over time, it's about setting up the Proportions to work with the overall design and such.

A small aside, but my brain is kinda weirdly vulnerable to nostalgia. Case in point, just tonight I've starting yet another viewing of GaoGaiGar. Why? Because I was talking to a buddy about 08th MS Team and the new-ish mini OVA thing they did for it with some sweet animation of the EZ-8, and it turns out the voice actor for Shiro from 08th MS Team is the same voice Actor as Gai from GaoGaiGar.

Also at this point I've lost count of how many times I've watched GaoGaiGar, but I dunno man, it hits all the right feels for me and includes some fantastic Mecha design to boot.

I'm a little weird.

Mike
  12. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Try playing with a smaller torso to chest ratio. Don't want to bog you down with suggestions, but that would make the chest more pronounced without neccessarily making it large in proportions.

otherwise. hope to see what comes of V.2
  13. KNight

Yeah, I think what I need to do is try to incorperate the "thrusters" as more of a "separate" backpack type unit rather than trying to build it directly into the torso, then maybe I wouldn't need the Torso to jut forward so much...

Mike
  14. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

1.2.0 i dont like somuch. I would entirely remake shoulders and neck and also the outward things on his forearms. I wonder how it would look with a backpack module or something.
  15. KNight

Well it's a bit early to judge, this is still the super blocky concept, I mean, the 1.1.0 wasn't so hot either at the beginning and it even had the advantage of not starting from scratch because it was an offshoot of 1.0.1 which already had some of the basic "groundwork" put into place. 1.2.- might be slower because I need to still figure out some of that groundwork that 1.1.- already had.

Much like Uber's approach to game design, I make lots of little changes along the way and don't "lock my self in" to anything too specific early on. You really should read too much into the way things are blocked out, this stage isn't so much about figuring final forms as much as it's about trying to find good proportions and silouettes and super basic shaping. Like yeah for the shoulders I'm pretty sure I want them to taper as you get to the top, but I'm not sure I'll use those exact angles in whatever I design you know?

Mike
  16. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Ok, im not sure about proportions man. The shoulders and the upper-arm look very big to me, but might be because of the lack of detail in this stage, compared to the ''hand''. Now that i look at it again, im not even sure anymore lol.

It looks like the legs are way smaller then the arms and hands altough i have no idea if this is good or bad.
  17. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

At the moment the 1.2.0 looks like something that assembled from some power rangers vehicules. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad. We'll see how you manage to make this into an awesome rig by adding some details to it. :)

edit: afther googling I found this video, ah, the nostalgia:
    ace902902 likes this.
  18. Devak

Devak Post Master General

a great job there mike! i appreciate that you try to actually make it a plausible commander (using the Uber Rig).
  19. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Penis is not big enough. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On a serious note, a question: After you finish multiple variants of your commander and pick one to apply - do you have any plans what to do with the rest of them?
    carlorizzante likes this.
  20. KNight

Not really, it's the kind of thing that has to be played by ear, Uber haven't revealed that much in regards to modding and such so it's s bit of a waiting game right now.

Mike