KNight's Custom Commander Adventure

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by KNight, March 10, 2014.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yeah that's something I mentioned as well.

Mike
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If it were to be more asian mecha, then the legs could use thinner areas between joints, maybe barely smaller joints themselves, to simulate slender frame and human curviness.

My actual suggestion on the jetpacks, are to shrink the shoulder ban for them a bit, lower the shoulder ban a bit on the shoulders, and thus lower the jets themselves on the back part. That would reproportion the way it looks on the arms, as well as reduce how they block view of the spine.

I not only want that commander concept though, I want a full sized mech of it in real life, that would definitely trump Gundams and anything in Titanfall lol.
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. tristanlorius

tristanlorius New Member

Titanfall sucks. and anyway good job mike, i'm liking it, and i need to start making more of an effort into making such delightful 3d models
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

looks a bit more evangelion-ish this time arround with that horn ...
    and while it looks awesome i dare ask to be carefull not to add too much details ... did you had any chance to work with the imperial skeleton yet so to not get a possibly wonky model when it is moving?
    also did uber say that modders could make and include their own skeletons into the engine?
  5. KNight

That's a gross oversimplification, I guess the Mad Cat then is "asian" because it has "thin joints"? Frankly the idea of "asian" and "western" mecha design is so "pre-internet"......and it wasn't even right back then. The design needs to serve a specific purpose, and limiting yourself to arbitrary classifications just holds you back.

You'll have to explain what you mean by "shoulder ban" because it's gibberish.

Actually my inspiration for the horn is something completely different.

As for dealing with the Rig, you might want to read through the thread again, I talked the process and how the Rig is involved early on.

Mike
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

the jetpack leads up, follows a smooth circle around the shoulder and under the armpit right? shrink and lower.

And it was oversimplification, but I was just following the leader on that, it was his stereotype not mine, I was just saying it probably would if the area between the joints were slender. I didn't say the joints themselves, except leaving them same size and reducing legs would look funny so you would have to reduce them slightly as well.

Anyway, that was a comment about asian mechas, not your commander, its your commander bro, I like it.
  7. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Good god those things are cute. Where do you find all this stuff? Big fan of everything related to robots? Or this specific thing is from your childhood?
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  8. KNight

Mecha of my childhood and thanks to the glory of the internet I was able to watch it through properly last year to boot!

Mike
  9. KNight

Got to spend a bit more time on things;

[​IMG]

Lots of tweaking on the Torso and with Leg/Feet Proportions and trying to figure something out for the shoulders still.

Mike
  10. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Really liking the design, but I think the lower legs are a bit too thick...
  11. KNight

Yeah I'm thinking I need to get rid of the Side Pods, the proportions just don't work for them all that well here compared to the source;
    [​IMG]

Mike
  12. Devak

Devak Post Master General

for the shoulders maybe something reminiscent of those arm shields? (i hope that makes sense).

I really like it tho, very unique and cool yet still very PA-like.
  13. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Try putting them on the back, like in Tribes.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It's not mecha, but it looks cool and is functional. And you can make front side of the legs fairly thin, like on your picture. Your picture actually has those too, if I perceive it correctly...

Also, separate toes look better than solid feet. They just should be more similar to sandals than to hooves.
    mrscience likes this.
  14. KNight

This did give me an idea so I've sketched it out at work, not sure how well it'll pan out, might not have enough bulk for what I'm looking for but I'll certainly give it a shot and let you guys take a look.

Yeah maybe something could be done on the back of the leg but I think the proportions just aren't that well suited stuff like this, Gundams have great proportions for this kind of stuff because the legs overall are quite big compared to the torso and because the lower legs are much longer than the upper legs usually to boot but I'll give it a go.

Yeah, I had a coworker say the split looked terrible and I agree with that assessment and this isn't any better either, I'll probably scrap the entire foot and try something new.

Mike
  15. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Knight,

It would be cool to update the initial post with latest image, or maybe a collage of the images over time.

I like the progression though, its pretty sweet.
  16. KNight

Whoops sorry, thought I replied to this earlier, it's something I should probably do, but when it comes to organizing links OR working on a cool 3D model it's really hard to do the boring one! xD

Speaking of which;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So tried some new shoulders, new lower legs and new feet.

All told.......eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm not feeling anything with the legs honestly so I'll probably have the scrap them again and start fresh....again.

The shoulders I think can work, but I need to do some fairly significant tweaking, right now they feel overly large and that makes the really short legs look even shorter with such a heavy top.

Mike
  17. doud

doud Well-Known Member

You may simply just no need to put reactors on legs. It's your com, but too me it looks like a little bit "too much" ;)
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

imo it looks like his knees are too low
    as for the shoulders let them be at first and try to just change the position of the knees
  19. KNight

I can't change the position of the knees, that's just where the knee has to be because of the Rig.

Mike
  20. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

People will look at the model, not at the rig. And you can't reliably say that this will look bad in motion - it can actually look nice, if correct knee height will outweigh the mismatch.