KNight's Custom Commander Adventure

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by KNight, March 10, 2014.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You'll have to be a bit more specific because "atlas style" is super vague, even when I know you're talking about MechWarrior.

Mike
  2. tristanlorius

tristanlorius New Member

Mechwarrior Online atlas. the style is just right for a commander in PA :)
  3. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I think KNight meant what aspects/parts of the atlas..

i think it looks similar to a hellbringer with the upper chassis design..
    [​IMG]

I like KNights Large squared shoulders, wish the hellbringer/loki had a broad shoulder design like knights commander concept.
  4. tristanlorius

tristanlorius New Member

i mean the bulky, boxy, sort of look associated with Mechwarrior online, and the guns everywhere :D
  5. KNight

But that just doesn't work in this context, PA's style directly opposes many aspects of MWO's style.

Not to mention that MWO isn't really all that boxy from a technical perspective, sure it has a lot of flat surfaces and hard angles, but they (mostly) aren't arranged in a "boxy" style.

Mike
    Last edited: March 22, 2014
  6. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

starting to look a bit like a riptide battlesuit! Awesome!
  7. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

8. tristanlorius

tristanlorius New Member

cherrypick bits, if you so desire.
  9. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I don't think "Steroid-ripped 8-year-old" is in quite the same league as PA's "Rejected tiny tots toy" aesthetic. :p
  10. KNight

I'm starting to think I might be investing a bit too much time on this variant, but I'm really liking how it's turning out.....

[​IMG]

Most notable thing this time around is the Gun/Lathe Shields, I wanted something protective, but not overtly obstructive, I'm liking it so far at least. Less noticeable is a large number of small tweaks I've done to the Torso, along with starting to build out some(not all yet) details. The biggest change has problem been in how I've dealt with the shoulder connection to the Torso, now the backpack rolls directly over the torso and seems to extend past the torso, kind of like bulky harness thing, kinda like what locks you into a roller coaster kinda sorta....but not really?

I still need to try and get onto those legs.....

Mike
  11. doud

doud Well-Known Member

wow ! I love it !
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

When this thing appears on the battlefield there's going to be allot of players bricking it! I've got a feeling your going to have one of the most hardcore commanders going as all the models uber have done thus far are rather conservative in comparison, the advantage of being a modder :)
  13. tristanlorius

tristanlorius New Member

can you try a pretty render of the commander. as well as the wireframe? thanks
  14. KNight

Eh, I wouldn't say they're conservative actually, I think the commanders I take the biggest issue with design-wise are the "original concepts", Mainly the Alpha and Theta really, the Progenitor isn't so bad, but I dunno why it has a head up top.... Anyways, the stuff they've put out since the Rigs were set are pretty good, obviously I like some more than others but overall I'd say they've been pretty consistent.

doing a "pretty" render at this stage is kind of useless. The legs are still the temp blocks I did originally and many more details are still unfinished as well. As for the Wireframe, that's is what you're seeing already.

Mike
  15. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

The horizontal line on his head - eye or mouth?
    Nice work.
  16. KNight

Shaping mostly, somewhat inspired by Specters from Titanfall, but mostly inspired by the Basilisk. There will be some form of eye(s) thought as well, in this instance I'm inspired a lot by Armored Core too, the trailer for Armored Core V and Intro for Armored Core 4 show off some awesome eyes I really like(mostly near the end of each video).

Mike
  17. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

looking good
  18. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty damn good to me mike, perfection is worth the time.;)
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Great idea for a thread, I'm already enjoying watching your progress and I expect you're only just getting started.

Your ideas about a 'spine' got me thinking of a friend of mine studying architecture, who says all of her designs are inspired by a single aspect of a plant or animal which she then tries to capture and exaggerate in a structure. I wonder if a more organic design would work in PA, with an exaggerated spine/crest and slightly more exoskeletal feel to it. All kinds of animals and plants pop into my head that could be tried out: cobra's hoods, the shapes of fins and flippers, segmented insect bodies... Lots of cool ideas to be explored.

No idea if it's the look you're going for, but this thread got me thinking about what I'd do if I had the opportunity to design a custom comm.
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

head reminds me of basilisk a bit ...
    too bad you decided to take the spine out ... had something majestic to it imo ...
    Last edited: March 26, 2014