King Of The Planet Series - Sunday April 6, 5PM UTC

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cptconundrum, March 31, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

The PA Stats server on System Sharing has been updated with the current Auto Matching systems. What we're going to do is randomly pick either ColaColin or Matiz to be the one that chooses the first map. Maps can either be a PA Stats map or a randomly generated system, but no map can be used twice. After the first game, the loser of each game will be the one to choose the next map.
  2. cptconundrum

LavaSnake, Murcanic, Quitch and 2 others like this.
  3. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

We're live!
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. cptconundrum

ColaColin won the first game by getting an early advantage by bombing four fabbers at once. The second game is being played on a much bigger planet! Anyone not watching yet can see it live at http://www.twitch.tv/zaphodx1
  6. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

And not one single wall has been build today :D

I'm always amused by the different approach to the game that top players show, vs the more average ones.
  7. cptconundrum

They don't make so many walls because they prefer t2 armies instead of t1. Matiz is making a lot of mistakes though in not building enough stingers.
    Murcanic and carlorizzante like this.
  8. fajitas23

fajitas23 Member

Love it. Thanks for doing this to everyone involved.

Someone has a link to the straw poll (or how does this work?)? Is there a chat (irc?)? Sorry for the newbie questions.
    edit: Ok, the chat is on the right side in twitch
  9. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Congrats to Cola_Colin for being the first King :cool:
    Long live the King ! (or not, for the crowd to be entertained :p)
    LavaSnake and fajitas23 like this.
  10. cptconundrum

ColaColin won after four games! We will be back next week with a new challenger to compete with him, but for now he can enjoy the satisfaction of his new title as King Of The Planet!

We will be announcing the challenger, date, time, and casters as soon as we can. I would like to keep the time and day the same, but the most important thing is finding a time that the players are able to make it to.

Please let us know what you think we can do better going forward.
    LavaSnake, Murcanic and fajitas23 like this.
  11. Quitch

12. carlorizzante

Extremely enjoyable watch as usual. Great casting, and outstanding players.

And obviously great organizers behind the whole. Thanks guys.
    cola_colin and cptconundrum like this.
  13. cptconundrum

The casting was really good and I loved being able to hear the players talking about the game after. Those interviews are one of the most important things in this format, in my opinion. These guys are really smart!

Special thanks to Illmaren and Quitch for their help organizing it. Illmaren has added a couple really cool features to his ladder to show us the king, and Quitch had some great straw polls for all of us following along, as usual.
    Quitch likes this.
  14. Illmaren

Illmaren Active Member

[​IMG]
    i said it...
    Here is the First King of the Planet
  15. Quitch

You going to start a new topic for the next one?
  16. cptconundrum

I will when I get a chance to write it up, unless you want to do it. I've got some things to be doing for the rest of the day but I might be back later tonight.
  17. carlorizzante

Toh! Cola_Colin has the same numbers for wins/losses as I do. Just inverted.
    zaphodx likes this.
  18. cptconundrum

In case you missed it, the full recording of today's game can be found here on Zaphod's Twitch channel. Please let us know what you liked and didn't like about the format and organization.

• Do you like the straw polls? What other kinds of questions should we have up next time?
    • What about the interviews? Are there any specific questions you want to be asking? Should the length of the interviews be changed?
    • What challengers would you like to see in the future?
    • Would you prefer to keep the same casters whenever possible or switch it up if we can get other people to do it?
    • Is bacon delicious?
    • Do you like the way we are selecting maps, or would you prefer a different method?
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Looking at it it is really bad if the straw poll links are only there as an image. Or did you have them somewhere else to click on while the stream was running? Also out of curiosity, how many people watched this? Is this kinda of setup popular?

I like this way of selecting maps, as we can play maps we know this way, which is best.

Bacon is good, I'll get a bacon-something pizza tomorrow I think.

EDIT:
    About the polls: How about putting them in this kinda of thread all together?
  20. cptconundrum

Quitch was posting the links in the Twitch chat and we were getting quite a few votes on each one. There were about 130-140 viewers at any one time throughout the game, and that number pretty much held steady the whole time. There was even a person who discovered the game through Twitch and bought PA while he was watching you guys play. I think we will have a higher turnout in future games once we start telling more people about it, but the focus this time around was to get the format figured out and make our organizational mistakes now rather than later on.
    Quitch and Murcanic like this.