King of the Planet 11 - 7th February, 1500 UTC

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by exodusesports, January 28, 2015.

1. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who was able to join us to watch this live, and to those of you who setup local events to watch another top level clash.

If you weren't able to make it then we have uploaded VODs of the games for your convenience.
  2. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Moi Aussi

cptconundrum and philoscience like this.
  3. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

No offense guys but I found the commentary and interviews a bit lackluster. Was everyone half asleep or something? I realize it is difficult with a 5-game total shutout, but this seemed especially bad. Also can I please kindly request you guys commit to playing at least a few ranked matches per week? The commentary feels not particularly insightful - like listening to two casual players make uninformed remarks about expert players.

I hope that doesn't come off as too harsh, I love exodus e-sports and your guys casts, but I felt some constructive criticism was needed.
    stuart98 and knub23 like this.
  4. wpmarshall

I will be the first to admit that I haven't played PA since the patch and my attempts to gain insight failed as a result of a lack of time due to things like my studies etc. But at the same time, there is a balance to be made between indepth commentary and entertainment value.
    I'd like to hear other opinions on this event's casting.
    philoscience likes this.
  5. philoscience

Sure totally understand, and it is hard as heck to keep up with the meta with new balance patches dropping constantly. I did bring this up in KillerKiwi's stream last night and a few people agreed. I actually already asked Zaphod if he would go back to his training days or at least play some regular 1v1s, as it just feels like a trend with casts becoming increasingly uninformed. I really crave the days when the videos you guys put up nicely showcased the meta, the trade-offs, builds, etc. Now there are a lot of times when its like... really guys this match was a total shut out 10 minutes ago and your still acting like its half and half. Anyway I'm just trying to give some feedback, still a huge fan. One solution might be to do future casts with either you and Elodea or Zaphod and Elodeah, like one charming funny caster and one elite player.
  6. wpmarshall

The issue with spending 10 minutes saying "This guy is losing and has been doing so for ages and he's only going to do worse" removes potential hype for the rest of the game of a 'surprise comeback'. The issues I have with dualcasting with exodus is that it is usually 2 play-by-play casters, hence why I try and do a bit more analysis and then zaphod maybe joins in on that discussion which it then becomes. I'm personally therefore more used to doing solo commentary in that sense. The other issue I have (especially with not knowing the meta too much, as pointed out above) is that there isn't an ample opportunity to go into the significance of early builds. One reason for this is ANY discussion that happens prior to spawning in is irrelevant in the VODs because they get edited out to cater for the "official zaphod intro" - at which point we then have to go through all the motions again, by which point the game has progressed.
  7. philoscience

Hmm, OK. Sounds like you guys may need to think through your intro/outros a little more or just general organization for the stream. I want to emphasize that I still tune in for basically every cast/VOD and love your content. I think my main criticism is that it really feels like you could both use a little more competitive play to make the commentary shine again. Anyway, take it for what you will, i'm just one voice.

I don't want to focus too much on the example of a game that is basically already called, I get that you guys have to come up with stuff to say on the fly and keep it interesting. Was just trying to give on concrete example where it feels like there is a general lack of insight into the various strategies and such players use.
  8. wpmarshall

I don't know if a new meta is fully established yet, though this may reflect my inexperience with the new patch. As for my experience with 1v1s, I have tried to stream lately, but most of my experience is with the naval updates. I do not yet really know too much about what the ground balance has implications for in a competitive 1v1 simply because I haven't the time and juggling this with uni stuff makes it very difficult for 'anything' to stick in my head.

As for the intros etc, it certainly seems very much geared toward the zaphod vod upload, but there isn't too much I can do about that as I am not much more than a co-caster.
  9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Not at all, it's always helpful to hear where people think we need to improve. If you watch it live we put out survey links to try and get an idea of where we're doing well and where we need to up our game.
    Last edited: February 10, 2015
    philoscience and proeleert like this.
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

elodea pretty much wiped the floor with battlebear :( ...
  11. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member

Exodus just earned a gold star in my book for accepting this feedback as nice as you did. Keep up the good work!
    zihuatanejo, philoscience and jtibble like this.
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Unfortunately Battlebear has been busy studying and has hardly played PA since before Christmas and the UC patch. Real life can get in the way, on the other hand Elodea has been playing quite a lot lately. Not saying it wasn't a well deserved win, Elodea (as much as it pains me to admit) is pretty much the #1 PA player for a reason :p Still I think Battlbear wasn't on his top form for these, I would have expected it to be much closer really.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  13. MrTBSC

... yet i still see @Yaegz on the ladder :p
    Zaphys and cdrkf like this.
  14. cdrkf

Hasn't Yaegz already tried to take the KOTP crown and failed? He's a superb ladder player, however he tends to fail whenever he enters tournaments...
  15. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Yaegz has not competed in kotp.
  16. cdrkf

Ah ok, in that case @Yaegz you know you want that crown :D
    MrTBSC and cptconundrum like this.
  17. MrTBSC

even if what stops him from retrying? didnĀ“t see a rule to not be able to rechalange (that a word?) the king again ... especialy if it is one that reigns for months ... cause competition right? have to keep that WWE hype for PA
    ... hmmm WPAE???
  18. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

I think a problem Exodus has and which will grow the longer it takes is that Exodus has too few casters. Zaphod and Marshall cast a load of games. clan wars, tourneys, their own stuff. They are pretty much occupied every weekend because tournaments get more and more frequent with more and more viewers. For Exodus to grow they need to come up with new ideas for tournaments etc. but with 3/4 casters doing their thing in their free time (which they do very well let me be clear) It is also occupiing almost every saturday. Always the same casters. If exodus can attract more casters to them, maybe even train them with zaphod and marshall. So that there more casters available to choose from. It will relieve a bit of workload, stress and obligations that they MUST be there for them.

I know Marshall also has uni stuff and other things on his mind and I know for sure Zaphod has the same. To keep it fun for them aswell they need some backup in the form of other casters. But that is just my opinion :)
    Zaphys, cdrkf, Schemya and 2 others like this.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

#SquishyForNextExodusStreamer.
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm trying to re-familiarise myself with PA and the current meta so I can get back to casting again after something of a hiatus. I did a couple of Exodus events as a guest a while back and I'd love to work with them again in the future if they'll have me.
    Zaphys likes this.