King of the Alpha

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by oxide246, September 15, 2013.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Because it's a competitive tournament to see who is best. It's not a King of Luck tournament where game results are predominantly decided by who gets the luckiest spawn.
  2. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

i say 23-24, neptunia is too small ^^ , and it is like a 20-21
  3. zaphodx

Personally I think 20 is a fine size for 1v1. There's too much mass in this current build so I don't think bigger maps are better. I'm probably generating the planets tonight so please express your preferred planet size and reasons for it.
  4. judicatorofgenocide

20-21 too small , high chance of cheesy games 23-24 slightly higher chance of 25-35 min macro oriented games, muti front, multi tasking games, more exciting for viewers. Creates more of a risk to move out w/ commander early. Where as unless spawned on the opposite side of the planet on a 20-21 commander rushing becomes low risk high reward. As in the commander rushing player is less likely to fall behind in the macro because arrival at the enemy base is extremely quick.
  5. judicatorofgenocide

20-21 is equivalent to the phased out steps of war in starcraft 2. Lame maps sizes lead to lame games. This is a dominate the universe macro game, and i think the final tourney of the alpha should show case this. How large, how fast, how cool, this game can get. Unlikely to see adv structures ie t2 arty, eco, nuke/anti, radar, ORBITAL with a 20-21. I mean how cool would it be if the strongest players in the world actually got out a satellite and won a 35 min 1v1 game. Talk about throwing down some manner mules or some manner nexi lol.

Clopse- 1 wall to 1 turret prevents turtling from being to op and would not lead to 5hr long games
    Last edited: September 19, 2013
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

We are all prob going to have our different biased opinions so it's best to just leave it to the unbiased judges for size.

I think the bigger maps could be kept maybe for the latter stages and begin with smaller maps. I don't think it would be fun watching 2 turtles on a 25 radius map for 4 hours.
  7. zaphodx

For the first two rounds I think it definitely has to be r20. The games might not get played otherwise and we have to finish the tourny before beta. I'm leaning towards maybe 23 for quarterfinals onwards.
    Clopse likes this.
  8. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

The tournament has been locked and positions have been finalised.

SPOILER ALERT: As I have played my first round match clicking the "round 2" heading will reveal that result.
    http://pa-tournaments.com/tournament/64 (Make sure you press the "round 2" heading if you can't see your name as 3 players have byes)

I'm now trying to find a decent round 1 planet, after which people may start their matches if they wish, even though the tournament doesn't officially start till tomorrow 12pm UTC. Please remember to have your matches recorded/casted!

If anyone has some nice planet configurations please post them here.
    Last edited: September 19, 2013
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Some of those matches look rather interesting!
  10. godde

godde Well-Known Member

You can't be unbiased when you chose the size of the planet unless you don't give a ****.
    The size of the planet are likely to determine the scope of the game and have very big gameplay effects.
    By the way. There is nothing stopping a close spawn to last 35 minutes. It just gotta be even enough for the game to last that long. Personally I don't think far away spawns is that interesting because I think it is mostly about rushing nukes and that antinukes are sort of underpowered.
    But it could be cool to see multiple nukes being thrown around by both players although the game is likely to be decided when the first nuke hits.
  11. judicatorofgenocide

lets get the planet picked out =D im anxious to get this thing started! The sooner we play the sooner the vids make it up on youtube the sooner we have glorious eyegasmic explosions and strats before our eyes!
  12. zaphodx

13. judicatorofgenocide

oxide might already have one ^^
  14. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Round 1 planet:
    ----------------------------
    Biome: Tropical
    Seed: 24042
    radius: 21
    height: 42
    water: 34
    temp: 63

[​IMG]

EDIT: Just woke up and watched my game from last night and noticed quite a unique feature on this planet.. look out for it! This planet shall be named "Speed Cock"
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
  15. judicatorofgenocide

yay! 1st match about to be underway Oxide246 v.s. Mceldowney! Who shall advance to the second round, and one step further towards the coveted crown of KING OF THE ALPHA mu ha ha ha!
  16. judicatorofgenocide

I predict that will be the best game to be produced out of round 1, to bad there is not a losers bracket. Cuz I know the losing player is better than some others in the field. Ggwp to both players. You can check it out at mceldowney1 youtube channel in twenty min
  17. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

There are so many trees on that planet that I have big lag issues even when selecting my spawn spot...
  18. gorerillaz

gorerillaz Member

The
    Why don't you remove trees on those planets then?
  19. judicatorofgenocide

I have a shitty cpu and could run it and a recording program.......... But hey everyone can ask for a different one for round two. I say round 1 radius 21 round 2 radius 22 round 3 radius 23 round 4 and on radius 24........that would be cool
  20. judicatorofgenocide

Any other games played any other vids up? I wanna see the action!