Jables 3 questions chat log

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by cola_colin, July 28, 2015.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yep this is how it is, I went into trying to mod sounds ages ago, the only way I could see it as possible is to extract the fmod file, and then create a new fmod file in fmod studio attempting to mimic everything from Uber's, with the same file names but different files. I could only see it as possible to CHANGE sounds and not create new ones, but I'm not even sure that's feasible.

Source: I tried to make a PA balance mod using the numbers from TA and even intended to use sounds.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Ok here's probably a stupid question... would it not be possible for the community to simply create a full new Fmod project and come up with a whole pack of sounds for PA?

Then it could easily be distributed and modified at will without involving and of Uber's stuff?
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm not entirely sure, from what I saw the game uses a similar path system to finding sound files inside of the fmod pack. I wasn't sure if there was something special to it or not, I know I attempted to create a new project with replacing the firing sound of the dox with that of the peewee. I'm not sure if I ever went through with it, or it just failed, but I know I did stop trying for some reason.

Sorry for not giving a good response, this was like a year ago :<
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. cdrkf

I was just curious. I guess you'd need to make a mod where all the sound triggers are removed from the various unit files (I'm assuming they're in there)? Then create a new project with *1* sound in it and point a single event it and get that working. Then you can start adding in more. That relies on the sound event triggers being something that can be controlled through the jsons though?
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

yeah, but you'd need to create all of the sound events and custom behaviors from scratch, which is insane.
  6. cdrkf

Well it would be a *big* job, although one that would only need doing once. I mean if someone could create a mod that provided 1 or 2 sounds and an Fmod project I think others would be interested in working with it?

One thing, what do you mean by 'custom behaviours'?
  7. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Custom behaviors = sound's unique parameters, like the maximum number of sounds allowed at once.

I don't really think it's worth spending many hours creating the same sound project :/
  8. cdrkf

Well, I'm just trying to drill down to what is possible. Uber feels that releasing their Fmod project isn't acceptable, so if we can create a new (blank) project that people can work with (and it works) then that means that sound modding is at least possible. Also it's not really a case of recreating the existing sounds, if someone were to go to the trouble of making a new Fmod project it would have to be for a pretty significant overhaul in which you'd want different sounds anyway. The main issue is, will this actually work?
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Isn't that always just a function of how much time you are willing to put into it?
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. cdrkf

Well I was more thinking that maybe there are specific things in how the PA engine works that would mean a new FMOD project file wouldn't work or would simply crash the game? I mean it's quite a lot of work but if it's actually feasible there's a chance it might happen (I mean many of the modders have taken on large projects such as a full new faction mod recreating every single unit in the game and all the animations- this doesn't strike me as worse than that but then I'm no expert with Fmod).
  11. cola_colin

Still a function of time.
  12. cdrkf

Yeah true (as with most things). Sounds like maybe it's an avenue worth experimenting with though? I mean as I suggested earlier if someone could put together a mod that drops Uber's sounds and puts in just 1 or 2 custom made ones, it could form the basis for a lot of audio work moving forward. Now of course as you say the question is would anyone be willing / interested enough to try it? The other thing that occurs to me is, would it be possible for Uber to provide a 'template' fmod file to speed up the process (I'd guess a project file with the actual sound data stripped out)?
  13. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Q1) nixtempestas: Do you guys use balance mods/stuff from balance mods in internal play tests to try them out for vanilla?
    jables: #1 we play wtih them for fun, but most actual internal playtests are focused on official releases.

Q2) TracerTong: will reclaimable wreckages for all units be added to the game?
    jables: #2 We'll see how that plays out. currently it's useful for the buildings that have it, but i can't make promises for future

Q3) (P)MangoMango: Do you have a better version of the system editor that you keep to yourselves?
    jables: #3 we use the same editor as everyone else :) we just released the internal one to public use.

(There wasn't any other significant discussion to require the chat log)
    cwarner7264, Quitch, stuart98 and 5 others like this.
  14. jables

jables Uber Employee

Yeah sorry, this morning is super busy, hence late questions and not much chatting :(
    xanoxis, stuart98, doud and 2 others like this.
  15. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

We love you anyway :*
  16. cola_colin

logged new questions
    Quitch and Remy561 like this.
  17. cola_colin

logged questions for the 18th.
    Quitch likes this.
  18. cola_colin

logged the 19th
    Quitch likes this.
  19. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Wow. @jables
    Hardest troll ever.
    Gorbles, squishypon3, veep and 6 others like this.
  20. cola_colin

logged the 20th. Moving to Titans generals
    Remy561 and Quitch like this.