It's time to talk unit ideas

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, September 30, 2013.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Ooh. I forgot.

I also want to see a mobile anti nuke and a mobile Umbrella. Maybe make one of them a bot and one of them a vehicle?
    carlorizzante likes this.
  2. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

An anti-nuke bot could be a one-use interceptor, that Transformer-style becomes an interceptor missile. Meanwhile, the vehicle could be a large platform with a very big gun on top, like the things NASA used to move the Shuttle to the launch pad- except with an anti-orbital laser cannon instead of a rocket.
  3. icefire909

icefire909 Member

for the mobile anti nuke, that was a K-Bot on TA. But since we're shooting for awesome, remember Starscream in the transformer movies? running and jumping into jet mode, that's what I imagine when you say one use interceptor. Flying itself into the nuke for maximum bro-points.

And anti-orbital tanks? I imagine something long, fairly thin with a big honkin' railgun on it, with a bit of time to actually fire while it spins up the magnets, sorta like these. Maybe hover tanks to defend over sea too?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    carlorizzante and PeggleFrank like this.
  4. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

Starscream was exactly what I was thinking of! Also, first image is great for anti-orbital platform- what's it of?
    christer1966 likes this.
  5. zurginator

zurginator Member

What could be done is the mobile AntiNuke as a vehicle (big missiles are heavy), and mobile umbrella as a bot (rail guns not as heavy). Would encourage factory diversification.

Another thought: nuclear subs.
  6. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Hovercrafts, various versions of AA, Anti bot, Anti tank as hovercrafts with weapons on are filled with win
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I think after a little thought, that a vanguard being able to transport 6 bots, or increased in size and transport 10 bots, would be pretty powerful.

Possibly make it amphibious too, like a marine APC.

I say this, because it would be a variety-of-use type of unit. You could use it to breach an unexpected area, you could use it to breach an expected area by trying to soak through, if unscouted you could leave them empty as a mild thread to soak damage for tanks and reaction time for another attack, and lastly it could still have a high-skill-snipe-possibility using boom bots, especially since you can pick a vanguard up with a pelican ;)
    n00n and carlorizzante like this.
  8. verybad

verybad Active Member

Digging nits. weak but invisible on radar?
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  9. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I don't know if this unit already came up but i'd love to have the following units.

A T2 kbot which has legs like the quadrupel legs and as torso a big cannon and a small head upon that torso
    The cannon is a plasma cannon which fires a plasma ball that as soon as it hits the ground it digs its way a few feet further (like the Dgun in TA) so that it can kill units that are behind each other.

The gun would need to recharche which comes with this cool animation. The cannon has two parts that spin opposite direction which goes faster and faster until the plasma ball shoots out.
  10. zurginator

zurginator Member

I don't know about digging units, but I do rather like the idea of a low HP but 'stealth' unit.
    Last edited: June 16, 2014
  11. icefire909

icefire909 Member

Probably mentioned before but I'll just leave this here :)
    [​IMG]
  12. Zenotheory

Zenotheory Member

Orbital Mines - But make them like the Boom Bots that are currently in game but in the orbital layer only but with 2x explosion range :)

Edit: Inferno/Vanguard type ships for Naval as there is no short range ships or ships that can take a punishment.

(Redesign T1 Ship) Narwhal - Change main turret to a flamethrower and beef up it health to the same as the inferno.

(New T2 ship) Kraken - Same as Narwhal but has Vanguard health and weapon plus a flak cannon.
    Last edited: June 19, 2014
  13. namelesst

namelesst Member

We really need large scale orbital to land invasions.

My dream ship "Carrier" would have;
    -The attacking power equivalent of 2 avengers.
    -The health equivalent to 4 umbrella hits.
    -50 unit capacity. 50 (fighters, t1 bomber, transport with units inside, t1 fabber, scout) or 25 (t2 bomber, gunship, t2 fabber) or any mix.
    -Say 10000 metal cost.

Transports would require being switched to to a 4 unit capacity. 4 doxes, 2 ants, 1 t2 tank. etc etc but regardless of load, count as 1 unit inside carrier.

Operation would be as follows.
    -Build at orbital factory.
    -Air units are rallied to it for loading, it brings them into it's holding space without leaving orbital layer. (Tick marks to indicate how much of capacity is filled)
    -Unit flies to center of target deployment area. (say a nukes blast radius for the deployment or smaller if desired)
    - Deployment option one shot guns all units at once after a 5 second timer (chance to shoot it down) within the deployment zone directly below the Carrier, in the air layer and can be giving a rally point (for consolidating the landing forces).
    - Deployment option two shot guns all units in the same manner but any transport plane will automatically drop it's troops on the nearest suitable ground from where it was jettisoned from the carrier. All air units will automatically patrol the drop area until given new commands.
  14. drrobotussin

drrobotussin New Member

More space ships. Avenger is cool in all but what's an avenger's counter? We have more avengers and unbrelas which one requires the other to be simply outnumbered while the other can just be moved out of the way from in comming attacks. They should really add 2-3 more ships to counter it or even some ground units that can attack, though I'd rather have more space ships and maybe even get some proper space combat instead of everything being done around the planets.

I also think new ways to kill planets would be cool. Think 60's spy fiction dooms day stuff, like building a massive drill with a bomb in it and have it dig to the center of the earth to make it explode from the inside or even being able to make stilights that mess with players even more.

I was also thinking that maybe planets could have different dooms day types for each planet. Metal planets could be made in to death starts, water planets could be able to make some biological war fare stuff, lava planets get something else. Either way while I like literally crashing planets together I think there is a lot of potential to go even crazier on how to blow up the solar system.
  15. tegrapple

tegrapple New Member

What about some kind of rogue bot that the commander has no control over? These rabid monkey bots would run out on their own and harass the enemy at random places and times without any input. Each unit makes its own path while searching for targets, but skips over some. Make them cheap so they are easy to spam, but because you have no control, they may or may not do what you want. They also likely won't cluster together so blobs won't crash through anything reasonably defended.
  16. namelesst

namelesst Member

Set your factories to patrol entire planet. Don't give the units any new orders. Done.
    klavohunter likes this.
  17. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I actually think is a really good idea. You find your opponent and see he's prepared for sensible options so you choose random options as a distraction, They have to then find the factory as it's causing havoc make them unable to identify friend or foe and as a consequence they may kill the factory themselves or skitter off in the rally direction so you take a gamble for every unit produced but if you win they will go in a direction indefinitely until they find a target
    tegrapple likes this.
  18. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

For fun i did that today :

It is a kind of bulldozer obviously :)

A slow vehicule unit with a tons of HP to suck up a lot of damage, kind of mobile walls.
    The unit would have a construction turret but it wil be only used to reclaim automaticaly the wreckages, usefull to clean the way for the army behind, perhaps the reclaim of enemy unit could be enable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A unique Silhouette from top for a quick identification

[​IMG]
    Last edited: July 9, 2014
    aggie2016 and Jaedrik like this.
  19. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

A vanguard with a reclaimer.

Pretty much what people have been asking for sense day 1.
  20. Geers

Geers Post Master General

[​IMG]