It's time to talk unit ideas

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, September 30, 2013.

1. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

2. Maruun

Maruun Member

[​IMG]

Funny thing that gave me a idea: Devour Bot reclaiming enemy units or tries to :p
  3. Badtoasters

Badtoasters Member

Actually I was thinking it would be more of an large AOE bomber against "live" units
  4. plannihilator

plannihilator Member

A bot that frantically asks every enemy unit if it's named Sarah Connor and kills them anyway. Naked awesome.
    Ringworm likes this.
  5. sorenr

sorenr Member

Rocket bot, light tank.
    Pop-up laser and artillery turrets.
    Tactical missile bot and hovercraft.
    Nanolathe turret/tower.
    Crawling bomb/cruise missile suicide units.
    Gunships.
    Combat engineers.

ASAT laser subs.
    Transport zeppelins.
    Directional mines.
    Artillery-launched crawling bombs.
    Orbital railgun platforms.
  6. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

SupCom's Mavor let off little mushroom clouds. :)

iron420 likes this.
  7. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

since we have a nice 4 factory setup in game

i'll try to be brief with my unit ideas.

Land
    • T1: amphibies torpedo tank: shoots torpedos and slides underwater... nothing really unique
    • T1: modify the scout unit into basically a radar tank: differentiates this from the sprinter scout so that it is more for defense and detection.
    • T2: Laser Tank: Basically I want this tank to just shoot one laser beam or heavy shell that just oblierates 1 unit and sends debris everywhere. debris does damage too. the unit has to be deployed and as the same range as regular tank long reload.
    • T2: Flak Tank: Anti air... nothing crazy. maybe laser flak. maybe flak that shoots lasers.
    • T1: stealth tank: slow moving and a weakened attack.. but not to weak.
    Bot
    • T1: Jump jet scout/ attackbot: this bot can navigate difficult terrain and overall be a pain with its speed.. The speed is the emphasis of this unit.
    • T1: Hover Bot: Basically a hover unit that uses artillery depth charges to rush a naval base.
    • T2: Jumpjet Rocket artillery: basically rains hell from cliffs... weaker then regular mobile artillery and same speed... have to deploy.
    • T2: Suicide jumping robot: using frog leaps, jumps towards stuff and just blows up. I just want to see stuff hopping across the map and say crap crap crap as they hop into my commander doing terrible damage
    • T2: Small Shield bot: Basically a small shield that can cover a 2 unit by 2 unit area! no real protection against nukes or dedicated fire... but just as shield man. good for formations. Weak from other directions other then the front.
    • T1: Sprinter scout: Uses amazing usain bolt technology to outrun gun fire.
    • T2: gattling gun anti air bot: Two gattling guns are used to destroy all forms of air superiority
    Air
    • T1: Basic gunship: same pelting power as a T1 bot shoots cool lasers
    • T2: Cargo plane Transport ship: carries those slow tanks to their destination. Bots can fire from this ship... put primarely transport... no armor.
    • T2: laser flak gunship: Basically Tier2 anti ground flying death machine.
    • T2: Air Land mine: Floating Laser/Rocket death ball in the sky. sets when deployed and can't be moved.
    • T2:Carpet bomber: Similar to a bomber but this one has bombs that are weaker then T1 bombs but en mass drops. Moves slower then T1 bomber. Must wait in between attacks.

Naval
    • T2 defensive ship vs ship: Anti tactical missiles.. Anti torpedo rounds... sonar and hefty laser beam cannon for primary defense
    • T2 Anti air missile ship: Fires laser flak and other crap at airplanes to destroy them n stuff
  8. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

T2 anti-air turret/anti-bot:
    advance anti-air, anti-bot defense chain gun tower.
    since the gatling cannon uses bullets, it could be used for both air and land defense.

gattling tank:
    smaller version of the shredder gun mounted to a t1 or t2 tank frame.

rail gun tower:
    advance anti-armor tower.
    rail gun bolt would damage multiple units in its path.

rail gun tank:
    as you figured, rail gun tank.

cluster missile tank:
    fires one large tomahawk type missile from a tank frame and flies towards its target. Instead of hitting the ground it breaks apart in mid air (air burst) and drops bomblets for AOE damage.

kk im done lol.;)
  9. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Or...make the orbital minelayer build mines that look like trees/rocks. It would be a case of "I don't remember that forest being there before..?" The kaboom!
  10. ulight

ulight Member

Question for Uber. If you end up using one of our ideas, is there any chance you'll let us give inputs on the unit's name?
  11. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

How about a super invasion turret, built and dropped from orbit. Strong enough to repel a concerted attack of say 100 to 200 units at once and tough enough so that you can develop a small foothold scenario.

Name:
    Foothold Fortress

Limitations:
    Immovable
    Prohibitively expensive
    Explodes like a nuke if destroyed...so there is a need to keep it alive.
    Vulnerable to air (no/limited air defense) Could also make one that can only shoot air with limited ground defense.
    Drains energy and metal when it shoots.
    Drop pod can be destroyed by AA before landing, preventing setup.
    Deployment after landing could be delayed with animation.

Positives:
    Can be launched onto an incoming Celestial body
    Extremely tough and damage resistant
    Aoe weapon(s): eg chain lightning/Plasma launcher or something like that (would look cool at night) and the chain would hit 10-20 units, if all clumped together.
    Have 5-10 anti nuke missles built into it and ready for launch after deployment
    Could have walls placed around in a radius as part of deployment and include a fabber as part of the deployment package.
  12. thetallestone

thetallestone Member

A Drill. that goes all the way through planets.

I'm thinking a small, tough unit with short-med range direct fire weapons...possibly the same thing it uses to "drill". Atm not enough of the game utlizes the spherical map feature very well. This would.

So, here's the notion:

When ordered to, the "drill" positions itself on the opposite side of a world to its target and begins drilling through. Time taken to go through depends on planet size/composition (lava easiest, metal hardest?). It eventually appears on the other side next to its target and attacks. movement speed on land is too rubbish and weapons too short range to be effective against standard units.

Would add some good counter-play with people having to keep an eye on the guy across world from them, in case he tries it, rather than only worrying about the people next to them.

Thoughts? Could be great for trying to snipe that nuke def/umbrella/Arty...
    ironnomad, dala1984 and rgturner244 like this.
  13. rgturner244

rgturner244 Member

I was trying to think of a fun unit and although this one doesn't make the most sense, the concept is fun to think about, and for old C&C players, a pretty cool throwback.

The Disc Thrower
    [​IMG]

This bad boy was in the C&C game "Tiberian Sun" and he throws explosive discs that can bounce beyond his target range and hit targets further away than he normally would be able to hit. This makes for some interesting micro where you're force-attacking the ground toward an enemy to score some free hits out of range before a battle, or while trying to retreat.

For PA, I was thinking of something built from the vehicle factory that lobbed short range artillery discs. T1 maybe, I don't know, but the main reason I wish to present this is because of the large amount of water on some planets. If the disc thrower/shooter shoots toward the water, the disc would realistically bounce further. If it bounces once on the ground, it should be able to bounce twice or three times across the water, striking targets far out of range.

They would make descent defense against land vehicles, but would make spectacular land defense vs ships trying to hit your buildings from the shore. Also, if subs are going to be immune to land attacks while submerged, I thought the disc could dive through the water to strike them as well, being the only land unit able to attack a sub (besides the commander). And of course, the disc thrower would not be able to hit air.
  14. corteks

corteks Active Member

rgturner244 I remember them in Tiberian Sun! Sounds like an interesting idea.

So I just had a crazy idea pop into my head, while thinking about invading armies and space elevators...

Moon Tether
    The moon tether would be a large building built on your planet that would bridge the gap between your planet and a single body orbiting said planet. The moon tether, after being built, would allow you to select which moon(in case there are several) to bridge between. After selection it would wait until the orbiting body passed clost to its launch cone and then the tether part would be launched towards the surface. Upon connection units can be told to pass through the tether to the other side, taking some time before they exit on the other body.

I figure it would be different from the unit cannon because it would act like a bridge that worked both ways, meaning your enemy may choose to push on through it instead of destroying it.

Upon destruction of either base station (tether end becomes a second base station) the tether is destroyed, taking with it any units in transit.

Okay so it's a pretty ridiculous idea, but I figured I'd chuck my idea on the pile. It gave me a bit of a laugh :p
    cmdandy likes this.
  15. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

The trouble with that is that many people are having the same "ideas", and Uber prolly haven't got the
    manpower to track down whose idea it really was. Also, in your case, you'd have to have a unit incorporating some sort of searchlight, probably...
  16. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

hahahahaahahaaha This post made my day. It would kinda fit in the PA. I mean here we are flinging asteroids at planets. We don't give a damn about the planets.
  17. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Upon thinking about this thread while literally just now posting in another thread, I wanted to quote myself for something on-topic.
    It's a bit of a long read, but I highlighted some of the units I really enjoyed from TA. Among the Flash units being a favorite of mine (Brawlers too), The Annihilator was definitely near the top, as was the Phalanx.

These don't have to be put into PA in particular, (but would LOVE to see them, just sayin), but I would like to see this line of thought put into the future and current units of PA. Looking at you, Leveler. It's this type of thought process that made basic and advanced units so well balanced with each other. (most of them, anyway)
    LordQ likes this.
  18. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

Napalm as a new weapon type (could be dropped by bombers, lobbers, or satellites).
    Flamethrower kbots!
  19. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm always willing to look at input on unit naming but I'm not going to guarantee anything.
    iron420 and ulight like this.
  20. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

#SaveTheScamper