Iterate on the Gate (Teleporter)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, August 4, 2014.

?

Iterate : (read the OP well, this is single-choice and you only get to vote once)

1. DON'T! (I like it the way it is)

52.2%
  2. only make gate travel time distance relative

4.3%
  3. only make orbtial travel time shorter + buff the Astraeus (more capacity+ faster+ faster build time)

14.5%
  4. only make gate T2 but can still be built from orbit

7.2%
  5. only strip the orbital engie from it's gate building capacity

4.3%
  6. make gate T2 and can only be built by ground engies or orbital factory

5.8%
  7. make gate travel time distance relative and orbital travel time shorter

1.4%
  8. make gate travel time distance relative and T2 and orbital travel time shorter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. make gate travel time distance relative and can't be built from orb and orbital travel time shorter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. all of the above

10.1%
  1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I believe 'worm holes' are actually based on a genuine theory (which is what the lore in Stargate uses to explain them and it crops up in other Sci-Fi often enough). I also believe the concept of 'sub space' is another- most modern Sci-Fi is off the back of actual theories put forward.

All these theories work on the premise that *faster than light speed is impossible in standard space* and go on to postulate a situation that circumvents that restriction (e.g. like reducing the distance as opposed to increasing the speed, or creating a 'short cut' and such).
  2. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Energy cost per transported unit
    Well, that would actually make sense. Because lets face it: Right now, main use of the Astreus is the invincible commander exploit, nothing else.
    Once you can afford to run a teleporter, it becomes superior to the Astreus in any way. The Astreus is much slower than then teleporter, but it doesn't pay of by any other means.

Teleporter delay
    Nope. Definitely not.
    WYSIWYG, remember? You can't just make a unit vanish somewhere in subspace temporarily. If a unit is removed from the game when entering the teleporter, it has to appear somewhere else instantly.
    Besides, given the time scale of PA, this would be a matter of milliseconds. So it would be barely noticeably anyways.

Making teleporters T2 units with shock-drop
    Possible. Maybe even benefitial. Mostly because this solves one special oddity about orbital fabbers: Teleporters are the only reason why they are currently able to assists ground layer.
    So changing the deployment mechanics for orbital fabbers would remove the need for this specific hack.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wormholes are bent space, same thing.

: / sorry , another one perhaps?
  4. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Precisely correct. There are also ways of travelling at light-speed, being uploaded and digitally transmitted to the receiver. One must assume that inside PA there is FTL communication, as I explained otherwise there would be a lag in your orders being recieved so that in effect would constitute FTL teleporting as well.
  5. schuesseled192

Sub-space/ hyper-space, e.g. utilizing the extra dimension which are squashed in our universe as a method of quick traverse.

Warp ala Star Trek. (Although that one probably has no basis in reality)

The list just goes on and on.
  6. tatsujb

[​IMG]

How is delay according to visible distance NOT WYSIWYG???

I'm sorry but WYSIWYG is not the ultimate argument winner.

proof of that is that I'm using it as well. find yourself a legitimate argument, preferably not forgetting to bring along some form of development to your argument this time around.

other than that, agree :)
    that is fiction. : /
  7. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Actually i think you are confusing warp drive technology with wormhole technology, wormhole technology would actually join 2 points in space into one, you would probably need more energy to bend space the longer the distance, but travel time would be instant, since both points in space would be same in the event horizon.

The other technology would require destruction of the original object and subsequent transmission of it's information to the other end were it would be "rebuilt". If that information is transmitted trough normal methods its limited to the speed of light. And it would take years to transport a commander from star system to star system, witch is not what appear to be happening in the lore. One way to solve this would be quantum entanglement at the gate witch would permit instant travel of the information.
    Last edited: August 14, 2014
  8. tatsujb

I have no idea where you read that it would be instant but it would take some time travelling between the two. the idea is you have to move yourself from entry point to exit.
  9. schuesseled192

That would depend on the length of the "tunnel" would it not. Who's to say the exit and entrance aren't together.

And if people start quoting stargate lore, the travel time between stargates was not instantaneous, it was about 5/6 seconds on average. (But a stargate isn't a teleporter, it's a gate that contains an artificial wormhole.)
  10. LmalukoBR

This is all theoretical work yet, but it comes to reason that wormhole technology, works by bending space in such a extreme form that it would actually make the 2 points in space become one point, hence no travel time would occur. Inefficiencies in the folding of space could lead to the 2 points being close but not becoming one and then here would be travel time, but it would be the same in all travel since the distance of the foldspace would be the same being limited by the efficiency of the technology to connect the 2 points.
  11. tatsujb

I'm not a physicist so I don't know, but it seems highly probable to me that the bigger the distance the less you'd want to toy around with bringing the exit too close to the entrance for fear of accidentally placing the exit before the entrance, as these huge distances and huge quantities of energy may make things unstable and impossible to be very precise on, also the amount of activity/instability if the two were so close for such a big distance could make the wormhole utterly impassable without being disintegrated. So in the aim of obtaining something more stable and less hectic you may want to put a small margin of distance.

I dunno.

that's my theory.

hopefully we can get Stephen Hawking or Michio Kaku in here so they can clear us up.

can we just get back to how massively OP the gate is and how it is currently the pivot point of the entire balance of the game and finding solutions instead ? :D
  12. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Nope, not how it works. Compressing/stretching space is possible in theory as soon as you give up on c being a constant, folding space for wormholes however is an entirely different thing. Even more, it's not even sufficient just to bend the room, in order to form a wormhole it would be required to define the intersection of sections of the same space.

Remember, a wormhole isn't just a bypass in a discrete 4th dimension, it implies an actual folding of the space and the wormhole actually violates the triangle inequality (and causality...) even under the assumption that c isn't absolute.

FTL travel or subspace travel would be really simple to explain / model in comparison to wormholes.

Besides, who ever said that PA portals would use wormhole technology? Simple Start Trek like matter transfer technology is sufficient. Dissolve matter on one end, transport energy between two resonators, reassemble. Et voilĂ , unit got transported without causing any causality issues or space time anomalies.

And still: Given the time scale of PA, that's about instantaneous, assuming light speed propagation. Remember, a 20 minute suborbital transfer only lasts seconds in PA. An interplanetary travel lasts less than a minute in PA - but in our solar system even light takes 8 minutes to reach us.
    Last edited: August 14, 2014
  13. tatsujb

last one before I drop this entirely:
    Code:
     http://youtu.be/kYAdwS5MFjQ?t=1m26s
  14. LmalukoBR

Yaohh daugh i heard u like Michio Kaku:

15. tatsujb

allright so we're now with the full list of 1.) wormholes and 2.) wormholes (natural)

anyways, back to investigating solutions to the gate.
    "can we just get back to how massively OP the gate is and how it is currently the pivot point of the entire balance of the game and finding solutions instead ? :D"
  16. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Nice title, sir tatsujb. I like it.
  17. tatsujb

why thank you, good sir.
  18. tatsujb

also drop pods
  19. tatsujb

so it came to my attention that maybe I didn't make it clear enough that this thread is also made for debating and sharing your opinion whilst proposing your ideas.
    Last edited: August 18, 2014
  20. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I think many of us have had it [sneaky teleporters] happen, but I haven't seen it in 1v1's (though I'm sure that it has been) and it isn't all that common, even on medium-large planets in most cases. Every now and then it'll happen, but it's mostly an orbital game-play structure. Often, by the time it takes to get the fabber there, and build it, I could've just sent the army and gotten very similar results, and if your army is effective, it's silly to send a fabber to keep the flow going unless the planet is HUGE.

Personally, I think that, by themselves, the teleporter is fine--the problem lies in how it's built: by 50 orbital fabbers. Orbital is screwy and you're picking up on it. The ability to send units anywhere is a bit powerful, but it sure beats waiting for slow orbital games; it beats astreaus drops; it's a much more comfortable way to play compared to many of the alternatives.

Are you happy now Tatsujb? :p
    tatsujb likes this.