Iterate on the Gate (Teleporter)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, August 4, 2014.

?

Iterate : (read the OP well, this is single-choice and you only get to vote once)

1. DON'T! (I like it the way it is)

52.2%
  2. only make gate travel time distance relative

4.3%
  3. only make orbtial travel time shorter + buff the Astraeus (more capacity+ faster+ faster build time)

14.5%
  4. only make gate T2 but can still be built from orbit

7.2%
  5. only strip the orbital engie from it's gate building capacity

4.3%
  6. make gate T2 and can only be built by ground engies or orbital factory

5.8%
  7. make gate travel time distance relative and orbital travel time shorter

1.4%
  8. make gate travel time distance relative and T2 and orbital travel time shorter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. make gate travel time distance relative and can't be built from orb and orbital travel time shorter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. all of the above

10.1%
  1. balsamicninja

balsamicninja Member

You'd need to introduce some other way of attacking planets. Perhaps through some sort of building that launches units.
  2. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

What? Making teleporter ultra late game will remove them from the game. Being able to teleport units when the whole planet is covert in defense doesnt have much of a point.
    The teleporter right now is the only reason ground units are still viable in late game, weaken it down will remove factory units from the game, and only orbital will be used, even more than now.
    And even if now, okay, even IF the teleporter would get nerfed, just think about a 1v1v1v1, two planets, on each planet two player. One kills the other, leaving a 1v1 behind. It will take such A LONG TIME where NOTHING happens until those two meets, because you need so much orbital to get your units to the other planet. And even after this long period of boring nothingness the only thing you see is boring orbital.

The teleporter right now is a MUST HAVE, stop trying to make the game even slower, it is ridiculously boring at couple points, this game needs to start increasing in speed.
  3. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

I see where you're coming from. I'm hypothesizing, and things could certainly work in a different setup eventually anyway.

I don't think it should be easy or cheap to move an entire army from one side of a solar system to the other.
    I think early-game should be about two Commanders landing on a pristine, unoccupied planet.

I don't think bumping the Teleporter to low-cost T2 would be bad for that early-mid game struggle for dominance as it prevents somebody moving a large force onto a small moon mid-game.

Pushing the Teleporter up to T2 recognises how it's being used currently anyway. What are we Teleporting early game? A Commander and five Engineers? A small army which can't secure an entire planet? The Teleporter would become available after a couple of Energy Plants at T2, which is not much of a barrier.

Once one person lays a Teleporter late-game and moves a T2 Army across, there's little chance you're going to lay a Teleporter and mount a successful Ground invasion.
    For this reason the Teleporter needs to be more expensive to access, more heavily armoured and have defences if it's going to fit the semi-invasive T2 role Uber wants it to in the stead of the Unit Cannon/Multi-Unit Orbital Transports.

I agree that building mechanics around missing parts is going to result in a machine which doesn't work. Therefore I'm happy to shift my position and suggestions in accordance with the game as it is now.
    Last edited: August 5, 2014
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I want this problem fixxed by making the nukes more affordable. In a FFA i already was able to fend off and wreck insane invasion army of custard that he very skillfully planted on my very heavily defended planet using 1 nuke wich i had as backup. I wrecked 10-20% of the planet worth on T2 army's a teleporter and orbital units. The few T2 armys i had where easily able to kill of the last surviving invaders. I think nukes are just too expensive and not being used for this anymore wich is a shame. But his attack would have probably killed me otherwise.
    igncom1 likes this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I've been thinking about this for a while and I have a slightly strange suggestion that could be interesting (probably mod territory though)...

What if gates & orbital were removed as build able items, and instead planets were seeded with a number of neutral gates that provide at least one path to each planet in a system?

The gates wouldn't be target-able, and would allow anyone through them. This way planets can be accessed by anyone, and holding the gates becomes very very important (and critically *on both sides*)....

I think that could lead to some very interesting games as it would create multiple critical locations on maps and you wouldn't be able to obviously tell what someone was up to on the other side of a gate if you have no units there.
    spittoon likes this.
  6. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Almost all of the changes you suggest were there in the beginning of teleporters, they were more expensive, made of paper and were t2, what happened? People just didn't use them and orbital stale mates were the norm.

Currently in the beginning going for that orbital fabber actually may not be the best idea, if you are rushing orbital, it is more expensive so it takes longer to complete, i just transport the commandeer with the astreus and use him to build the teleporter to bring the ground forces and some fabbers.

I do think the Astreus should be able to transport more units and be faster (since late game it is pretty lame), but the modding community has said that transport limit is probably due to game engine limitations.
  7. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Wouldn't people just build like 10 T3 laser towers with walls(input any defense good enough here), killing anything that comes out almost in the second that it does? Now if you have both the buildable and neutral, then it would be fun.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Maybe, but on the other hand *would that be enough* to stop a large force of vanguards ploughing through? Also, if you *really* wanted this to work, why not allow nukes to go through the gate :D

That aside, having a number of neutral gates & allowing build able could be fun, and would probably work in context of the ideas here as the build able gate could be very expensive but still make sense (as your not going to get 10 x triple barrel laser towers up until late game)...
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

what about the idea I had for a different method of using the astraeus : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...al-launcher-and-transports.55624/#post-941821 ?

definitely makes the whole invading system more accessible through Astraeuses.
    also I also think I would be simplifying the logic for rookies if the gate couldn't be built from orbit like it is. and at least had to be landed first. or could only be built with ground-level engies : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/assisting-orbital-units.60571/page-2#post-942969
  10. tatsujb

WOULDN'T IT? I KNOW RIGHT????
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/the-teleporter.55519/
  11. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

You can't make travel time distance relative, because that's not how teleporters work. Unless we are talking time taken for orders to turn on to reach the planet in question, but in which case all orders to sent to stuff light seconds away would need to have lag, so I'm fairly sure we won't be doing that.

Also if there is a delay between entering the tele and exiting the otherside, ask yourself what happens if the exit gets destroyed before arrival.

On another note can an enemy use your teleporter? I'd love to have a teleporter exit set up and switch to it when needed to take enemy units into a field of mines or something.
  12. tatsujb

sorry to be a pair of butts here, but actually, following the theory of bending space... it is.
    the bigger the distance the bigger the bend. even if you're tanking a HUUUUUGE shortcut, it's still longer then if you're shortcutting across shorter space.

so... if you want to be more down to earth to physic's theories about space bending, gate travel time should be distance relative.
  13. schuesseled192

Sure if we are talking about bending space. Since we are not....

And besides which the extra bend you are talking about would lead to an extra travel time of ms.
  14. tatsujb

how are we not?

bending space is currently the theory that's the only reason why physicists of today regard teleportation as possible where we used to think it was plain fiction.
  15. schuesseled192

It still is or are there plans in the works to start colonising interstellar space.
  16. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You can't fix the Gate; it's just a small cog in a much bigger (and malfunctioning) system. Orbital and interplanetary as a whole needs to be stripped down and rebuilt from scratch.
  17. tatsujb

well nasa is in full gears preparation to colonise mars. but i feel your question is largely unrelated and you have not understood what's going on.

We have nowadays the knowledge that allows us to extend such theories as "given enough energy we could bend space and thus "break" the light speed limit".

when we will be able to apply this knowledge depends on if we survive our own imminent-destruction crisis and pass through into a type II civilization and harness the power of either our own sun or another to create the first space bend.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale
    Last edited: August 14, 2014
  18. tatsujb

I feel ya, look at the poll and my posts stating that there are many more things i would have liked to include in the poll.

In the end, this thread is most definitely not about the gate alone.
  19. schuesseled192

Bending space isn't the only theoretical way to break the light speed limit. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I'm fairly sure it's also not the only way a teleporter could work.
  20. tatsujb

it's the only one i've ever hear of, if there is another please provide sources.