It has begun!

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by khazar1, June 20, 2013.

1. khazar1

khazar1 Member

Just an update:
    The entry is gone. xD @uber you guys do know that it is illegal to pay people to "shut down" people? :lol: ;)
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

LOL That's WAY too much effort. That stuff gets shut down pretty naturally on it's own, thanks to people who realize it's kind of a crappy thing to do.
  3. plink

plink Active Member

If you find a way to only push updates to 'registered owners' of the game, the pirated copies would have to keep re-cracking the game every time you push an update. This is one way to simply annoy the illegal downloaders. They will always have to wait after every patch to play with friends as their versions won't match. Eventually, out of frustration, they will buy the game.
  4. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

The one thing that makes me lol is reading stories of how companies protect their property.
    Such as the game dev game where if you pirate the game, it gets very metaphorical.
    Because you'd be in the position of a games company making games on a cracked copy.
    The devs added in code for the pirated version that pirates steal your sales so you can never make money on great games because of piracy.
    I loved that ingenious twist to fight pirates because it demonstrates why it's wrong yet some of them ask for help on forums on how to beat it when it's impossible not realising it's their behaviour for the reaction.
    Or crysis where the game makes you shoot chickens which do no damage so you can't complete the first level.
    FYI I only know about this because it's on cracked.com
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure ;)
  6. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

http://www.cracked.com/article_20482_5- ... rates.html
    Feel free to read it, I can be an honest and upstanding person. My worst crimes I used napster when I was 16.....during the dial up days of the net
  7. khazar1

khazar1 Member

Stop confusing us with facts you phony! :ugeek:

It's always interesting to inform yourself in all the scenes if you're into a hobby. ^^ I myself have my eyes at almost all themes in gaming(though the sportgaming scene is quite boring) and of course the piracy scene is also part of that. Of course it is almost impossible to be up to date with everything, especially if you're working, but mostly superficial reading and selective detailed reading can help with that. ;) If you want you can even let a theme snooze for some months like I did with fighting games for 6 months. ^^
  8. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Ok I download naruto on a weekly basis but have bought every available dvd when it it's available. I downloaded GoT but again bought the dvds and books. Some things pass you by because until the last two months I had a job and limited free time.
    Why would I have backed this project if I didn't want to support creativity?
    I'm guessing this is gentle teasing but that article isn't the first on the website and the ideas are good ones.
    But some hobbies you just spend to much time playing the game to not read everything.
  9. veta

veta Active Member

For sure, a good approach. The best ways of encouraging patronage over pirating are cosmetics and infrastructure for user-generated content and multiplayer, as well as just making a good game and supporting it. Minecraft and all it's third party tools that require legit copies are a great example of this.
  10. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

Hey All,

I would imagine most pirates would choose to play this as a single player offline game against the AI out of fear of being caught being online. Of course im sure there would be those who have their own LAN parties but i would honestly think most people would be playing single player offline.

Neutrino can't something be done with the AI or the orbits of the planets? For example if the game game detects it's not legit then the orbits will degrade over time causing everything to go towards the sun? :D

Or maybe have the AI pretty much just sit there as it does now in the alpha?

I must apologise because I don't really know how it would work or if it could work with PA. I do know other games have introduced game degradation systems previously.

I suppose my point is that the pirates will be able to get the game running eventually.... how good their experience is could maybe be altered.

Cheers,

-Todd
  11. antillie

antillie Member

PA is DRM free. If someone really wants to pirate it there is nothing stopping them and nothing to crack. Just install the game and don't play on the Ubernet servers. There will be plenty of other servers to play on instead. Simple as that.

The idea that there is a "crack" for PA is just silly.
  12. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

If any thing released can be cracked eventually hence the always online starting to come up expansive to run but if public don't get sever part they can't crack it.

If PA is designed to make cracked versions a pain in the &@# to maintain or legit could in theory covert the freeloaders or "game testers" what ever excuse people call installing pirate games these days.
    I think uber will find they get less pirated games because of the continued development that is planned.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

this
  14. Terrasque

Terrasque Member

Nah, is cool. I know this guy whos a real computar whiz he even had summer learning html, we'll just fix it ourselves hahaha :D :p :cool: :lol: :cool: :D :mrgreen:

/skiddie
  15. khazar1

khazar1 Member

PA LAN/offline release(and maybe beta) is DRM free. The alpha as of now is not. If they somehow(not sure how) would be able to make it work without the official server, then that is considered a "crack". Of course it will be possible later on totally official but right now it isn't. Therefore there is still "crack" potential, even if it is only for a limited time. :lol:
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

There is no "crack" potential whatsoever, as there is no drm in the alpha to crack. The "problem" to pirates is not that the Alpha contains extra code to enforce drm (which could be cracked) but rather that the alpha does not contain the whole server. Reprogramming the server is extremely unrealistic.
    So anybody offering "cracks" for PA is only offering free trojan horses.
  17. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Where do I sign? I always wanted a pony.
  18. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

I like the trolling approach; let them play the game, but do annoying stuff like disable power generators and metal extractors so they can't really build anything.
  19. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Get the commander is a wizard bug to happen lol.
  20. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

If they can reverse engineer the server, they've basically made most of the game, so why not just make new games, get lots of money, then buy PA with the proceeds?

But that requires logic...