is there something missing? story?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Bluepanda63, March 4, 2014.

1. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Combining the scraps of info from lore and borrowing from my knowledge of TV tropes, UBER is aiming roughly for this:

The Progenitors are either humans or cyborgs (human augments). Some horrible war happened that urged the creation of the Commander, as a way of waging Autowar (autmated war). As time went by, the war stretched far beyond the human solar system and the Progenitors became scared of the weapon they had made, now far beyond their control and no longer just fighting for them, but fighting for the sake of fighting.

So the Progenitors launch a virus that disables each and every commander in the galaxy, also causing wide-spread self-destructing of the slave robots.

Now, after potentially thousands of years, the Commanders re-activate after slowly restoring the damage (or the environmental damage to their system actually purging the virus) and in turn activating others, overriding their default behavior and turning them to their side.

The first faction believes the Progenitors will try to destroy them again when they find out their weapon wasn't 100% effective. They rally together in a singular army.

The second faction believes in a Machine God that made them and the progenitors, and don't tolerate non-believers.

The third faction believes that the Progenitors are a force of nature that while defeated, will spawn again when organic matter is left alone and they believe it has to be obliterated.

In conclusion, "destroy who oppose us".
    shiwanabe, alantoner and igncom1 like this.
  2. moonsilver

moonsilver Member

I liked my idea :) so did my cat :) since I got 2 votes I think we should go with my idea as posted previously :)

Actually, Why doesn't everyone come up with an Idea, we present it as a Poll to Uber? How does that sound? As far as many RTS plots go, they are all more or less on par with what's out there.

We could turn it into a community project type thing maybe? Does uber do its own writing or do they hire someone outside to do it?
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

*Chuckle*

They paid someone to write for them. They're not going to take fanfic and put it into the game when they've spent money hiring someone to write their backstory.
    Devak and igncom1 like this.
  4. moonsilver

moonsilver Member

So this means this entire thread then, is basically pointless, except for sharing our ideas with others and the pain that those same ideas will never reach the light of day?

If this is true, is it possible to get a sneak preview of the story? Perhaps we can provide some feedback for the writer? Or something, my cat espically has a great talent for pointing out my errors of consistency.
  5. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

This thread is already testimony of our criticisms against PA's lore. There's no need for Uber to expose the process, nor the open the floodgates to "formal" suggestions as I'm doubtful they share the same concerns we do at the current time. The lore is very low priority and probably given a minimum of funding. I'd say that rewrites are unlikely and that the author of the lore isn't interested in our suggestions or feedback. We only got to pick the name of the commander and its faction from a pool of four names each. That was the sum total of all the input Uber is willing to accept at this point. The writer was paid to write... not to crowdsource.

Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, very few people actually care about the lore of the universe or the Commanders as individual characters. Uber has more important things to address than clichéd lore at this stage.
    Gorbles likes this.
  6. moonsilver

moonsilver Member

Remind me not to ask you to be my representative at the convention for Lore writers association :)

oh well.
  7. Devak

Devak Post Master General

sometimes it's best to remain realistic.

I do have faith that the writer will turn out something nice. I hope he can do some interesting stuff with, well, a non-interesting baseline
  8. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Personally I think the progenitors encoded a dead switch to prevent the galaxy being consumed by the wanton destruction of the commanders if they got out of control. At some point the commanders destroyed the progenitors and as a result the dead switch was tripped and shut them all down.

The truly great mystery is how were they reactivated? It is possible there were a few of the progenitors who survived the genocide of their race and after centuries of generational research they were able to find a way to reactivate and reset the commanders objectives.

If this is the correct explanation, the factions came from divergent priorities that were set when the commanders were reactivated by the scattered surviving progenitors.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Once upon a time there was a race of magical unicorns. They got bored and made giant robots to have playfights on other planets to provide pay-per-view entertainment for the masses. One day the ratings went down and the pay-per-view economic bubble burst and everyone stopped caring about giant robots. However, the technicians forgot to turn the robots off and they kept fighting. The unicorns went to another galaxy because they wanted a change of scenery, the robots stayed. Fighting, forever and ever.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Current memories went corrupt, computer did an onboard self diagnosis. Recovered what it could. Coincidentally, afterwards their parameters of war remained clear, not their creators, which they probably had little information on anyway.

As far as Uber's lore, their machines all seem to remember something different, which is normal. Also, they even seem to be intellegent enough to build programming based on experiences plus reasoning, so basically they are sentient. So they remember their own little bit, then they cling and build onto it as a purpose they pledge their existence to. IIRC, each only remembers one thing in common, and vaguely at that, and that is the fear of the Progenitor and that the threat of their return strikes fear into each of them.
  11. TerrorScout

TerrorScout Member

"TA : War over Transhumanism
    SupCom : War for Freedom because of Slavery, Zealotry, Rebellion and Oppression"

PA : I was thinking "Law of Evolution" and that the logical conclusion of survival of the fittest also means the weak must die!

And in a fight balanced so closely they have had to abandon everything even there memory's for maximum efficiency to survive in a universe so brutal only commanders can survived in this reality.

I see this as making them a dark version of Pinocchio looking to evolve into something more?
    Or maybe there just a metal based life form looking to do what all life does survive and multiply?
  12. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Honestly, life is more like a survival of the fit-enough.
    igncom1 likes this.
  13. moonsilver

moonsilver Member

not like artificial sentience isn't possible, think the problem is most people think of computers. We already have a working model of sentience in many varieties known as the brain. We simply have to copy it using synthetic materials.
  14. Geers

Easier said than done. We don't even know how our brains work.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well we do.......but it's very very complex to the point that....most of it is a automatic biological circuit of "Staying alive" and so is mostly redundant to building computers anyway.
  16. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

We have a decent idea of how very, very basic functions in the brain work.

We have a very, very basic idea about how slightly more complicated functions in the brain work.

Past that, almost zero mechanistic explanations from a neural level, at all.

We do know enough to understand that the brain does not work like a computer very much. The smallest functional unit of the brain, a neuron, does not behave anything like a NOT gate- the basic functional unit of most CPUs.
    Geers and BulletMagnet like this.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Lots of chemicals, weird changing wiring, biological fail safes that don't seem to have a purpose.

Biology is weird as hell.
    Devak likes this.
  18. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

19. TerrorScout

TerrorScout Member

And Death of the not fit-enough.
  20. Geers

Our brains are slow. But they are massively parallel, using one hundred trillion interneuronal operating connections at the same time. Brains are really complicated. what the hell is a memory? How does that work? Why is it that we are sentient? If quantum physics says you cannot know the exact position and momentum of an electron at the same time, how does that affect our brains? Do memories really fade away or are they stored somewhere inaccessible? NOBODY KNOWS!

http://www.delanceyplace.com/view_sresults.php?1794
    igncom1 likes this.