Is Galactic Warfare supposed to be this tedious and boring?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Lord451, January 28, 2015.

1. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Its "not" supposed to be tedious and boring....no game company does that unless they are going for pay2win stuff....?

But it is anyways, probably because its so unfinished...alt+f4 should not be your save...
  2. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

For me I'd like to see:

• More variation in systems and fights e.g. water and archipelago worlds, enemy commanders heavily focused and specialized on one tech, ect.
    • Some scripted or hand made systems. Maybe you've come to the world late and the enemy already has vast defenses, lots of possibilities here.
    • Game gets progressively harder as you continue (increase in commanders, tech, or some combination) instead of boring one commander fights. Since your tech is increasing need a way to balance it.
    • A better progression system either through skill trees you unlock, or smarter choices of tech given to you. A quick fix would be giving you a choice of three techs to choose from every win. I'd rather have skill trees though.
    • Start with all three basic techs, including storage
    • Permanent commander upgrades and enhancements (turn your commander into a combat unit, defensive unit, utility, extra armaments, increased production etc.)
    • NO MORE DUPLICATE TECH
    Extra wishlist but not necessarily required:

• All of Galactic War could be played co-op
    • Replayability - unlock perks and new commanders with different stats to play Galactic war in again (not just cosmetic)
    • The enemy can attack your claimed worlds and you can defend with what's already there (Can lose if you don't respond in time)
    • Special Galactic war units and ancient alien megaliths you can find and activate in space as weapons. This would be system specific
    • Commander gets experience and ranks up with light rpg style upgrades.
  3. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

I actually like the likelihood that you will go through an entire game without seeing some piece of tech that someone will consider a necessary basic tech in a card drop. I will admit, I play GW with two "cheat" mods, the section of foreign intelligence and the other section one. Between them they display what tech you will get from a system and how many enemies you will fight.

One of the biggest changes this makes for me is that duplicate techs become a strategic decision, sometimes it means bypassing a system so you can pickup an extra data bank slot first, or dropping complete a tech until you can find a spare data bank because you already see that you can pick up another copy.

I'm not at all saying that I would consider GW a finished product, and there are lots of changes I'd like to see. That said, GW is not "supposed" to be tedious and boring, and if you tweak the settings just a little you can avoid much of the current unfinished product related issues.

I strongly do not want to see GW changed to a mode where it is attempting to be an offline simulation of multiplayer play. If I wanted to play multiplayer I would. If I wanted to use the exact same build every time or know I'd have all the tech every game I'd play skirmish. I highly encourage folks to check out some true roguelike games, ones with lots of depth and variety. What I learned from games like that is that while having all the tools is great, its when you start finding ways to deal with enemies with what you have instead of what you want that you really begin to learn to expand your play style and skills
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Yes. It's specifically designed to convert you to a competitive PA player whether you want to be or not.
  5. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Really? Because all I've ever done in GW is rush infernos, or rush infernos through a teleporter. Hardly things I do often online.
  6. blightedmythos

Except I bought this game for an interesting single player campaign. I feel sort of cheated. These type of games aren't very good online. Twitch and action per minute based. I'd rather play a good rts competitively that has real depth and strategy like company of heroes
  7. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

How come? It works. And actually it's quite fun in 1v1.
  8. Geers

But this was always a multiplayer game.
  9. theseeker2

it's subpar for 1v1s, RTSs (for me at least) are only fun in a teamgame
  10. theseeker2

And? Are you telling me that better & multiplayer galactic war is irrelevant to multiplayer?
  11. blightedmythos

Says who? I haven't read the developers state that anywhere. If you read the steam reviews there is an overwhelming amount of people who bought this for a single player campaign. Just because some forum minorities say it's more geared towards multiplayer doesn't make it true.
  12. Geers

Galactic War was a stretch goal. The longevity of the game was always supposed to come from the multiplayer.
    Raevn likes this.