Is Assassin going to get nerfed?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by ohknee, January 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohknee

ohknee New Member

This is a question mainly for players who have been around before PC release, and maybe even developers. I'm pretty worried that my favorite class is going to be made useless thanks to the huge amount of whining going on at the Steam forums, and here.

What do you guys think? Is the Assassin overpowered, or are new players just being whiners?
  2. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

... You are asking for a flame war. :|
    Probably a little bit of constructive critisism at first, but this will turn into a flame war between assassins and other classes, especially snipers.
  3. Ailure

Ailure New Member

Possible, but hopefully the developers waits until at least two weeks after release. It's still too early to tell regarding balance, since the game have a lot of new players. Game is quite chaotic with the mix of skilled and unskilled players, where a good player can dominate a team of new players. Give em some time to catch up on the game. Assassin is admittedly like the TF2 spy, bit of a newbie-trap to class, easily taking you by surprise... especially if you aren't aware of their otherwise telltale cloak sound.

She already was nerfed regarding juicing and destroying turrets. Still a insane base destroyer so it's possible she's further tweaked. Personally I have no problems handling assassins, other than maybe make facegrappling a little less powerful to punish those who aren't even trying to backstab.
  4. BMSTed

BMSTed New Member

It's just bad players coming from TF2. Where if you complain about something enough on the TF2(Also the LoL forums which is what ruined that terrible game.) forums it gets nerfed/buffed.
  5. nickeboy

nickeboy New Member

No need to nerf assassin, once people learn to jump around and listen for the humming sound, assassins become balanced.

Personally, I have over 2x the amount of assassin kills compared to any other class kills, playing mostly support.
  6. Smaz

Smaz New Member

They wont be nerfed and nor should they be. Tbh i thought assassins were so OP when i started but now i love hearing the humming sound and the sound of my traps going off, basically a free kill.
    People who say they should be nerfed are porbly people who have JUST started to play, they will get better and realise that assassins are very balanced.
  7. faits

faits New Member

Nothing in this game has or will be nerfed or buffed based on people crying on the forums.
  8. Shmyea

Shmyea New Member

Like everyone, when I first started, I found assassins insanely OP. I raged out at the fact any assassin could just right click any class from any angle for a 1 hit kill. 10 minutes later, having left the noob stage of development I realise that assassins need to be smart.

I later tried out the assassin to see how she worked and have decided that:

Assassin vs. player, in my opinion is perfectly balanced.

Assassins vs Bases are still overpowered.

While playing the assassin I tried multiple tactics, stalkin, shurikenin and lastly base raping.

The final tactic of base raping showed me that I can use stealth to find a hard to reach spot with a good view of all their turrets. In a couple of minutes I can knock down an entire base of level 3 turrets providing their support is distracted.
    The second anyone sees me I go stealth and hide till he gets bored. He runs the dilemma of camping the base and getting bored as hell till I reappear or going out n helping his team. He always leaves and I go back to knocking down his base.
    As I said, in a couple of minutes I've caused a good $3000 damage or so combined with an occasional spawn kill on a sniper.

I don't even need to use shurikens the whole time. Eventually my juice is charged, just from shooting turrets and in ONE juice I can knock down their whole base.

Once their shields are down I find my sneaky spot and spray away at the money ball.

I've never lost while using this tactic. It makes me feel filthy and I refuse to do it any longer because it's just boring. However this hasn't stopped others from using it and it just makes the game tiresome having to hang around the base hoping the assassin's stupid enough to show themselves while you're around instead of getting out into the map and having some MNC loltimes.

The abilities of assassins allow them to poke the enemy base without fear of being caught... ever... For this reason assassins need another damage nerf vs turrets.
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

If anything, buff Assassin. The only time she ever kills me is when I'm distracted by something dangerous like Gunner or Assault.

That, or buff new players. >_>
  10. Providence

Providence New Member

Seems most people are still stuck in the k/d mentality. "Assassins are free kills! They need buff!" "I got 1 shot by assassin! Nerf now!" Good assassins will wreck your base and keep moneyball shield down with shurikens from ridiculous angles.
  11. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I'm not convinced on Assassin's ability to mess up entire bases.

Sure, she can do that if left completely alone - but how often does that happen? People should be respawning all the damn time, and trundling past her.

If you don't spend 500 milliseconds (read: a fraction of a second) to look around, while going back to the front, to see smoldering turret nubs trace a line to where she is then you're doing something very wrong.

This game is about teamwork, and you're letting the team down if you don't help in the defence.
  12. Qtie

Qtie New Member

personally (i've played bout 3h so blame me.) i think the assasins are deadly to both support and assult, other classes like tank (really balanced atm) and gunner can handle assasins.

heck, i'd even go as far to say the gunner is a bit unfair against assasins. with the stomp dealing HUGE amounts of damage AND Knocks you back + stuns you. ohh and btw the machine gun rounds hit like trucks.
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

14. nickeboy

nickeboy New Member

A support can deal with assassins surprisingly well. Just jump around and never stand still for an easy backstab. If you hear or see an assassin, blast him with the shotty. Two shots will kill him. Hell, sometimes one is enough. Basically, you whip the shotgun out and blast once, and any assassin around will be very careful about attacking you. Good times.

Assault on the other hand can charge to instantly kill an assassin, and he can't be grappled while jetpacking. I'd say he's the second most annoying class as an assassin, right after tank.

Gunners on the other hand are not that big of a threat. They are slow and have bad mobility. The slam is easy to dodge by jumping, and ideally an assassin should be able to stay hidden well enough to never get mowed down by the minigun. Of course, many assassins don't understand the concept of sneaking and rush head on against minigun barrels.
  15. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

"The Assassin is a chick? How did I miss that?"
  16. ohknee

ohknee New Member

The Gunner is nothing to an Assassin compared to the Tank, that has to be the worst matchup in the game between all of the classes. I pretty much run away at the sight of a Tank. From an Assassin's perspective, the Tank is incredibly broken.

I'm really just worried that the only class that remotely interests me is going to get the bat because of baseless complaints from new, oblivious players.
  17. traitormagnus

traitormagnus Member

This is a true observation. More often then not, there'll be some new assassin to the game that thinks its open season on me. And then it only takes a few failed attempts on their part before they start crying bullshit in chat. When you can hear them coming from a mile away there's really nothing challenging about them.

I always imagine a comical look on their faces when they front-stab me, then I get up and one-shot them back.
  18. NeLoDK

NeLoDK New Member

A few weeks ago I asked the same question, now it's my fault if I get killed by assassins.

Turn down the VO volume, and music. Go into blitz or crossfire, choose the assassin, go cloak, listen to the sound it makes, let it eat you up. Now you will never get owned by assassins over and over again, they will now just be easy kills running around.

Side Effects: You will forever flinch when you hear the sound of an assassin.
  19. traitormagnus

traitormagnus Member

Or watch this handy youtube video.
  20. Stryfe

Stryfe New Member

It's definitely new players complaining. I spent quite a bit of time in the beta, mostly playing assassin. I can tell you that players who have learned to deal with the assassin can really throw a wrench in her plans.

Mibuwolf and I were playing last night and for a round or two we ended up on opposing teams. He was assault and I was assassin. I can't count how many times he flew away at the last second as I went for the backstab, killing me with ease.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.