Introducing the Planetary Vanguards

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, December 12, 2013.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

When presenting information to Uber, it still needs to a) come from all the vanguards, b) be justified that it's the communities' belief, and c) Uber need to concur. It would be pretty obvious if any of them tried to promote their idea if it was contrary to the popular consensus of the community.
    Gorbles and maxpowerz like this.
  2. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Can you tell us what views these are?

So far, the only point you seem to be bring in up is that we might somehow have different views from the rest of the community, and we might push these at Uber in a way which marginalises the rest of community, and that Uber might be taken in by such shenanigans without slapping us down. This all seems like vague generalities. What are these views which are so different from the rest of the community? Have we previously posted that we think that Starcraft is the epitome of excellent RTS design? That the only thing that stands between success and failure for this game is the implementation of a robust commander hats trading system?

Perhaps if you were to give us some concrete examples of how things expressed by the current Vanguard members in the past were at odds with the majority of the community, we'd be able to see what kind of conflict of interest you mean. If we know what these things are, we can deal with them.
    cola_colin, Gorbles, LordQ and 2 others like this.
  3. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Agreed. It's not like the Vanguards have a secret agenda, like "Hey, Uber, why don't you introduce a pay 2 win system?" or "Hey Uber, it looks like everyone wants you to turn this into a FPS!"... What do the dissenters fear will happen? genuinely.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  4. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Honestly, after reading the whole of this thread, it seems that a few people here are really butt-hurt about not getting their shiny blue badge. :)

I don't see what the problem is, if we get more information and better information and the devs get to work on the game more, isn't it a win-win for everyone?

Please promote brianpurkiss... Would cut 50% of the whining out of this thread!
    Last edited: December 15, 2013
    LordQ likes this.
  5. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

lol..

i think some people still don't get that the vanguard are doing nothing more than promoting community post's about good topic's.
    We can't just say "Uber we want super nukes now" and they bow down to our wishes and it be done..
    Uber have all control over development of the game!!!!!!!!!!
    All the vanguards do is bring community information to the attention of the developers.
    If someone is unsure about something in the game or if it's relevant to the game a vanguard can assist them with CORRECT information..
    that's it..
    It's a way to improve 2 way communication ,, not some super secret Illuminati that controls game development .....
  6. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

All I see is people making a fuss because they don't have a blue badge, as others have already said.

Would you folks complaining about a conflict of interest still be doing so if you were a Vanguard? Sadly, I doubt it. People generally only cause a fuss to get something out of it, and not because they're genuinely concerned.
    drz1 and bradaz85 like this.
  7. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Sadly, I doubt it too. It looks like some people are thinking "Well if I can't be a Vanguard, then no-one will" so people are kicking up a fuss for no reason, without fully giving them a chance. I only see positive in this arrangement. If they can free up extra dev time then thats good for everyone!!
    LordQ and maxpowerz like this.
  8. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

An honest question here:

Should the quantity and/or quality of someone's ' whining ' be the deciding factor behind their inclusion in the Planetary Vanguard?
    bradaz85 and maxpowerz like this.
  9. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I'll PM you.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  10. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

If it's constructive?
    In Brians' case, his commitment to casting the game, creating an FAQ for the forums, creating a PA wiki which is constantly updated, and ALWAYS answering new members questions, places him surely as a good candidate for PV status?
    Surely you want as many of these dedicated people on the PV squad aspossible?
  11. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Uber has made the Vanguards. The Vanguards are in a Trail periode. I doubt they can add members.

When the trail periode is over and things have calmed down, and there is order/ a sort of system in place. I think membership might be expanded.
    drz1 likes this.
  12. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Pretty sure the haters are just looking to get this thing scrapped, at the same time as chucking all their toys out the pushchair!
  13. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I really don't get what the fuss is about(and I read all 12 pages).

Uber made the "Vanguards" to create a better flow of information.
    In my opinion this means telling Uber where they can find information on the forum, and sending Uber the hottest topics.

Vanguards post information that can be viewed as official information or information by Modderator.
    This is basicly the same as the choosen member have been doing, except they now have a blue name.

If the Vanguards program doesn't work, or if they try to push their own intresstes, Uber will disband it. I don't get the problem. I admit the implementation was not exactly great, but if you read the topic you can see why.

I have no problem with a system that lets the active part of the community inform the less active part. I also don't see the problem with the vanguard telling the devs that for example: "T2 bombers are OP" 1hour after a new patch, instead of letting the devs go to the forum letting them read 50 topics before finding the topic about T2 bombers, 5 days later. I'm not saying the devs shouldn't read those 50 topics but that it would be nice i

PS
    The Realm is one of the biggest clans in PA. Realm members are very active on the forums. Anybody can join The Realm. These active members have tried to do something to improve the information flow between the forums and Uber and so the Vanguard was born. For now most members of the Vanguard are Realm but I'm sure if the trail periode ends and everything has been going well it will be expanded.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  14. jimosfear

jimosfear Member

I've no desire to join the group, I don't make nearly enough contributions anyway, Brian; absolutely and it's curious why he wasn't included, maybe he's not a member of the Realm?

All I've spoken up about is the reality that you've created a clique. It seems to go against the spirit of the venture. We are all investors and the dividend will be the final product, part of what we paid $90 or more for was the privilege of having our voices heard equally, that is ever so slightly diminished when a clique is selected from among us. We won't really know what passes between the vanguards and the developers, it depends wholly on 'just trust these guys to represent you'.
  15. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Brian is a member of the Realm.

We all invested in this game, but some people are putting a whole lot of free time in lurking around in the forum. These people are very knowledgeable about what has been said by the developers and the community. Now a couple of these people got a blue name so you can see that these ppl know their stuff.
  16. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

This whole discussion leads into purely nothing! It is absolutely repetitive.

There are now tons of questions and tons of answers and it gets more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more.

All information is now available in this thread. Distributed on 12 pages.

Please make a "Tabula rasa"!

@Community: Think about it, make your thoughts, create a list of questions and present it to the Vanguards.

@Vanguards: Read the questions, make your thoughts, create a FAQ and present it.

And then the discussion should be over - once and for all!
  17. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Question: What exactly do the Vanguards do? Is it just information relay? Anything beyond that?
  18. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Please see the first post in this thread...
    And then you can see it re-worded pretty much every few posts..
  19. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

Quite honestly, that attitude of "haters" trying to ruin things, isn't very productive on this forum. This forum is pretty mature, and we really don't have any use for stereotyping anyone that expresses concerns.

One thing, besides the newsletter, I also expect there to be some kind of summary of all the important things that have been said so far.
  20. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Yeah, very mature... That's why umpteen members here started throwing their toys out the pram when they realised they didn't have a blue badge.. 'Haters' doesn't mean I have an attitude :) Its just a word I used once to describe the people 'hating' on this new Planetary Vanguard group.