Interplanetary orbital anti-planetary ships

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Tripod27, September 21, 2014.

1. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

I've seen a lot of posts about unbreakable planetary turtles on a planet covered with orbital fighters and umbrellas and patrolling bombers ready to take out teleporters and cancerous SSX snipes being a necessary evil to break these camps

I've even made a thread suggesting to change the SSX into a much slower firing version that comes into the orbital layer not reloaded but has enough of a range to slowly take out umbrellas if it doesn't land in range of one, but then I realized the real problem wasn't the umbrellas, it was the mass of bombers they would swarm over your teleporter and destroy it before its even completed, no matter where you place it or how many units you killed in that area before the bombers showed up

To counter this we need an orbital unit that can move between planets and move around in orbit and have planetary attack weapons to slowly clear out the units below it if there are no umbrellas or fighters to take it out. Something like a decently fast moving anchor with much less hp that can either only shoot at units on the planet or also have a weak anti-orbital weapon as well.

This would make orbital stalemates much easier to crack, as you can send a nuke down on a section of their planet where they either don't or are very unlikely to have anti-nukes but have umbrellas (most planetary turtlerers cover the planet with umbrellas but can't afford to cover it with anti-nukes as well unless you REALLY messed up and let them waste Eco on doing something that stupid), then follow that nuke with fabbers to build teleporters on the area you just nuked, the orbital frigates (name suggestion is free of charge) to defend the teleporters from the air units and possibly dox the enemy will rush to the teleporter, and orbital fighters to protect them all long enough for a teleporter or two to be built and have some ground based AA show up