Improving the Tank's Options

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by Cornstalk, September 1, 2010.

1. Zeromus EG

Zeromus EG New Member

You must have been very lucky to never find a tank with Silver/Gold Armour on, he survives any Assassin grapple and then Death Blossoms in your face.

If I had 1 for every Assassin I'd killed that way...
  2. TheRealBowser

TheRealBowser New Member

I support this, I think it's pretty stupid to be grappled by an sniper and be ringed out on a tank. The health bonus is pretty generic and boring, too, compared to say an assassin that gets a new sword (which really helps a lot) or the gunner that gets split mortars and a dual minigun, or supports who get a bot recovery aura (yes, they get health as their second bonus which is also boring).

This is just my opinion, though.

Also, tank deploy really sucks. I can't see any situation where I would use it. Sure, it helps you regenerate your health. Whoop-de-doo. It also makes you a target that can't move and has no real advantages. I don't know what could be done to make this viable, aside from increasing survivability and range of weapons, but even that seems very situational.

I don't really want charge's knockback to be buffed. I mean, think about this for a second. In situations where you aren't trying to get a ring out, do you really want to knock someone out of your jet gun range? I know I don't. I can get ring outs when I need to, that's good enough.

The OP made a good point about product grenade rank 3. Making the grenade split after impact is not a good change. The additional grenades don't have the blind effect, and they just get in the way of the tank. Instead of making them split, how about making them cost half as much, letting you use two quickly as needed? Maybe this would be unbalanced, I don't know.

This is my opinion on tanks. With the upcoming death blossom change (a blessing and a curse, which emphasis on the former), I really don't have any problems with tanks at the moment.
  3. VawnOTheDawn

VawnOTheDawn New Member

The only thing that I think really needs changing is the Deploy. I tried using the Deploy when I started and it just had nothing to offer the class. When on offense, it's better to be able to jump around. When defending, it's better to be able to chase after enemies. Perhaps if the Jet Gun had a longer range or AoE while in Deploy, or the Jet Gun had increased RoF while in Deploy, it would be more useful.
  4. Shammas

Shammas New Member

Actually, the one thing I'd do is make the rail gun headshot capable. Then, I would love the tank even more. Just make it double damage for a headshot. This would also make tank vs tank battles take more skill.
  5. Zeromus EG

Zeromus EG New Member

Lol I can't believe they didn't do this in the first place, I kept going for headshots on Gunners and wondering why I wasn't killing them super fast :D

But yeah, a headshot bonus would definitely stop any complaints from me. In fact they should give it afterburn too and swap the primary and secondary around :D
  6. mipegg

mipegg New Member

If they did that they'd need to swap the tanks weapons around. No use giving him a primary which is completely useless and a secondary which isnt that bad
  7. Vuther

Vuther New Member

I think I agree with the sentiment that the Tank has a synergy problem. Here's what I think he could use.

1) Jetgun
    -Make it do extra damage closer up. If an enemy is hit from around 50% of it's maximum range, it should do, say, 30% more damage than it does now.

2) Product Grenade
    -Make level 1 blind. It's just kinda useless without the first one, so forgoing to upgrade it should be an option. Make it 50% of the current blind at level 2.
    -Make level 2 instead blind longer, back up to the original duration at level 2.
    -Make level 3's blind last 50% more over the level 2, cause enemies to take extra damage from the Jet Gun, and allow it to fire at half of the cooldown.
    This would make the Tank an excellent to counter to turrets, and just be good for ambushing and killing stuff with his jet gun.

3) Deploy
    -Make level 1 fully heal the Tank after being used, and decrease the time it takes to start deploying by, say, 50%. Increase the cooldown of Deploy. It is also kinda currently useless off the bat.
    -Make level 2 also cause burning when enemies are hit by the railgun while deloyed.
    -Make level 3 also increases damage caused by the railgun by 20% for 5 seconds after using.
    These changes would give the Tank a unique spin from the Gunner's digging in to cover an area for a time, giving the Tank a deploy which is meant to be used in a desperate or sudden moment. As you can tell, Deploy would be for a more railgun-user Tank.

I think this could go a long way to help making the Tank work more smoothly. He is still vunerable to bombs, beacons and headshots, but he would perform better in combating when he gets close in with his jet gun, while helping his ability to destroy turrets along with bots, and giving the railgun a wee bit more reliability in killing.
  8. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

werent u the one that said the rail gun was already overpowered? why would u want to make it doubly so?
  9. Shammas

Shammas New Member

I said it was fine the way it is and the tank doesn't NEED tweaking. But since everyone's itching for something, make that the change. In the meantime, more people need to spend some time getting better with the tank.
  10. Cheesecakecrush

Cheesecakecrush New Member

Here are some changes I think could make the Tank better.

1. Product Grenade manual detonation.
    People seem torn between impact detonation and being able to bounce it off walls, so why not both? Since you can only fire one at a time, being able to use X while its recharging to detonate the in-flight grenade seems like the perfect fit, and lets people use it how they like.

2. Product Grenade split grenade impact detonation
    To use the level 3 product grenade vs pros is very hard and reliant upon luck (or bombing the moneyball) and even against blackjacks can be difficult to hit them with. Make the split grenades explode on impact. This increases the power of the skill and brings it in line with the first change, allowing a long-ish range manual detonation cluster bomb.

3. Near instant Deploy
    As it stands, people use Deploy primarily as a health recovery tool, and not much else. Sure, as a mobile rail-gun turret, but you're still sniper bait. Why not make it so you can Deploy in .1 seconds? Imagine spikes firing into the ground, solidifying your stance against a charging assault and allowing you to burn them to ashes, or hearing an approaching assassin, backing to the wall and dropping anchor, preventing their grapple? This could be available at level 3, with a 50% reduction in deploy time at level 2. To balance it, you could increase undeploy time by 33% and 50%, for level 2 and 3, respectively.

4. Deploy buffs
    Lets face it, the "never reload" aspect of level 3 deploy doesn't even come close to mitigating the fact that you are now immobile. You're headshot bait for enemy snipers, not to mention easy target for Assault bombs and Support Airstrikes. It always baffled me that the TANK didn't get a headshot shield but the Gunner did. I thought one was offense, the other defense? Give the tank a head shield, the same color and material as the rest of his armor and have it slide up over his face with eye holes. It'd look like an unassailable rock, and it should be. I also think the damage protection should be amped up while deployed, beyond its current level. Maybe 1.5 or even 2x its current protection. To balance this out, the view range of a deployed tank should be reduced to 120 degrees, as opposed to 180.

To those who think the most recent change is unfair, imagine a gunner who just strafed outside of the limited viewing angle of the newly buffed tank. He'd be pounding the tanks health away while the tank would have to sacrifice his protection to retaliate. The sniper can whittle away at his health, and could easily headshot him when he dropped deploy because if its longer time to do so. The assault would retain many of the advantages of its mobility, including free Head Crabs. Same with support. I do think that an over-healed Tank with level 3 passive, gold armor, and the added protection of this buffed deploy should be able to survive anything but a level 3 bomb/level 2 airstrike (airstrikes are always instakills, but tagging with the weakest one vs the strongest protection in the game should be survivable. Thoughts?)

5. Charge
    Charge is great as it is, although at level 3 I think you should be able to use it while deployed, and it will do massive damage to anyone directly behind you, along with knockback. Anything that can propel the tank forward at that speed will do the same to others in the area of effect.

6 Passives
    Level 2 should provide a Jet Gun reload speed buff in addition to increased health, and I think Level 3 should add fire damage to the rail gun along with a ROF increase for both of the tank weapons, in addition to the health increase.
  11. Edward Coug

Edward Coug New Member

Shammas is a beast with the tank. I've never in any game had my *** so royally handed to me as when I played against him. Trust me. After playing against him, you will never again utter the words, "The tank needs a buff."
  12. Hiero Glyph

Hiero Glyph New Member

I believe the correct response is "Learn to aim", or "Get a better connection."
  13. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

shammas plays on his own host with a hitscan gun so hes garunteed to hit every shot.
  14. Zeromus EG

Zeromus EG New Member

Shammas also registers new accounts so he can boast about how much of a "beast" he is :lol:
  15. Shammas

Shammas New Member

Wow, haters make me famous I guess. I played with Edward Coug the other day, add him on XBL, it's obviously not me. It's pretty funny how jealous you all are, but I appreciate the flattery.
  16. heavensnight

heavensnight Member

hell no, then the tank would be way op with fast fire rate and high clip , just make headshot a guaranteed critical hit.

or at least make the tank move as fast as the gunner

nothing else needs to change tank is beast when used right
  17. Leonyx

Leonyx New Member

Though it is kinda weird that Edward Coug logged on just to make one post, I'm just going to assume you actually know what you're doing, only because I'm tired of arguing with the people on this forum.

I honestly don't think the tank needs help, but I would change the railgun to a better mid range weapon instead of a long range one. But that might help the sniper.

At least do something about deploy. That skill is just plain terrible.
  18. Shammas

Shammas New Member

I know it looks fishy, but you can invite both of us into a party if you want proof. He's not even my friend or anything, I just played with him in a game. Believe it or not, some people give compliments when they see someone who is good.
  19. Leonyx

Leonyx New Member

I just gonna take your word for it, like I said. I don't want to bother with it anymore.
  20. Edward Coug

Edward Coug New Member

Ok. I admit it. You caught me. I'm Shammas. You guys are more clever than I give you credit for.

If you guys ever want to see me school you with two controllers at once, invite me and my pseudonym, Edward Coug, into a game, and I'll gladly destroy you.