*Important suggestion!* Planetary Annihilation for tablets

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by theseeker2, November 23, 2012.

1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I don't think so. It depends on what technology you own.

The way I see it, I can't see any reason to own a smartphone, a tablet, and a laptop. A smartphone and a relatively light and inexpensive netbook gives you all the functionality of a smartphone and a tablet and then some.

If you want a gaming PC then there are gaming laptops which would cost the same as your gaming PC and tablet combined, combine both features, and need not be expensive.

Or you could keep the gaming PC, buy a relatively cheap laptop, and still have your smartphone.

If you own a cellphone, and a really weighty old laptop that takes a while to boot up, or you have some specific business related use for it, then I can see the attraction.

But so long as you own an android smartphone, such as the Galaxy S3, I see no reason why you would need a tablet.

(I say this as a uni student. So a) I'm cheap; but b) I see the attraction of having a gaming tower PC, a laptop to study with at uni (and mine needs to run some graphical stuff for engineering) and a smartphone. I can see the utility of a tablet - I could make notes on a tablet. But alternatively, I could make my notes on my laptop. Or by hand, much more quickly)
    Last edited: October 31, 2013
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Heh. I just use TeamViewer to do this sort of thing for now, I don't think the ASUS Transformer Prime would quite be up to the task of running it natively.

Although... this does give me an idea.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.soe.ps2mobile&hl=en_GB

This is a little something that SOE released for Planetside 2 which enables people to keep an eye on the metagame from phones and tablets. Something like this for Galactic War could potentially be awesome, though I suspect this would be a waste of Uber's resources. Perhaps it would be easier for them to expose the necessary information for people to make their own apps to do this?
  3. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

I think you missed the point
    I know some one who is removing pc at their business and replacing them with tablet pc.
    He would connect the tablet to the "docking station" that gives him a screen, keyboard and mouse when needed he takes it with him to show his clients as a tablet.

As for gaming they are not powerful enough but potential is there just a matter of time before a company try and expand the market that way and the power of tablets gets ramped up.

So to sum it all up one device you can use any where but for some serious gaming or work you can turn it in to a pc or laptop just need the right attachments.
    Last edited: October 31, 2013
  4. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I think you missed the bit where im playing PA on my tablet.
    Im also playing Dead Island riptide @1280x720 (in game settings on meduim), and getting approx 25-35fps.
    i played duke forever on it @1280x720, 38fps
    i play Flatout 2 on it still, 60+fps <--- most awesome fun racing game ever!!
    Portal 1 + 2, both get over 60fps @1280x720.
    Dead space 1 + 2 both ran fine.
    and so did Skyrim (1280x720, 18-26fps)!
    and HydroThunder Hurricane i play @ 1920x1080 high settings, 35-60FPS.

Acer Iconia w700 win 8 64bit, i5 3317u 1.7ghz cpu(2.6ghz turbo) 4gb ram, Intel HD 4000 (this is an early 2013 model)
  5. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

This sounds like the most feasible.
    To feed some game data to your tablet to tablet.
    - Resources
    - Expanded list of your control groups
    - Celestial data (% of metal spots owned)

It would be an extension of your HUD Panels, but only 1 way (unless somebody is a modding genius).
    Essentially, all info from the game, but without any of the game rendering.
    I use a Foobar2000 remote control app on my phone, it's a bit more data, but connecting it live through your own wifi is negligible in terms of processor and bandwidth usage.

I suspect the necessary hooks will be revealed soon.

p.s.
    How is Call of Duty and Battlefield 4 handling the tablet integration?
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  6. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

Looks like I did miss that.
    Well looks like it it's all already supported.

One question how comfortable is it to play on?
    Ok lets make it two questions If you using it as tablet is it the UI still useable?

Thanks in advance :)
  7. cwarner7264

http://bf4central.com/2013/10/battlefield-4-commander-tablet-app-launches-november-19th/

If I'm honest, tablet features for PA would be a 'nice extra', but for the majority of people wouldn't be all that useful so I very much doubt Uber will develop anything for it themselves.

One thing which has just popped into mind - having a 'system overview' displayed on a tablet screen would be awesome.
  8. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Let's say we get that tablet app,

Even if it displayed:
    - econ
    - chat
    - expanded control groups view (with the portraits/icons)
    I presume it should be a very little amount of data being fed to the tablet.
    And it shouldn't take much additional system power to send it since it's already data that is being pulled from the sim model?

So in terms of bandwidth on your on wifi, it should be super light.
    To be able to drag/drop units between control group is exactly what a touch-screen interface is built for.

Still, I think it's just silly of us to ask Uber to build a tablet app.
    The userbase would be small, and I can't see much return for them (unless they just want to do it for kicks)

The big question, will this info will be exposed in the client?
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  9. cwarner7264

Agreed. I think we should take this suggestion to the modders' forum and ask them there whether this sort of thing could be exposed.
  10. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

It's very easy to use, i need to use Keyboard and mouse to get full functionality out of the games (or my logitech f710)
    The 11.6" 1920x1080 screen is easy enough to see if you play with the tablet in your lap or on a table right in front of you. and when i drop the res to 1280x720 because it so small its barely noticeable that you have made it more pixelated.
    Comfort levels are high for me because i can sit on the couch with the keyboard to my left mouse to my right and the tablet on my lap.

also @Culverin .. If uber open up the api for the UI im sure someone with enough programming skill could write a small app that intercepts those vital info's and have them also sent via ip addressing to a receiving application on an android or iOS device, BUT someone would need some serious skills to do that!!!