Im excited, but also disappointed.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by deathjesteruk, June 4, 2013.

1. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

BULL****.

Space combat isent in the game becuse they didnt wish to make two games in one with their limited budget, thats the one and ONLY reason they have given, anything else is purely speculation!!!
  2. godde

godde Well-Known Member

3. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Damn, i was wrong :oops: .

Sorry, i am sure that the original statement they gave was that they didnt want to make two games in one, and i hadent seen that comment.
  4. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

WOW! You couldn't be more wrong.

There you have it, Straight from Garat's Blog. The real challenges are technical and budget, not fun. TLDR: Too big and complicated to implement without taking too many resources away from other parts of the game and absolutely nothing to do with game direction. As Garat himself puts it "this is an incredibly cool idea".
    Last edited: June 4, 2013
  5. rorybecker

rorybecker Member

*adds garatgh to small list of awesome people on internet* :D
  6. iron420

Extra awesome because he admits to being wrong even though he isn't just because he can't find the comment (which I dug up) that proves he is actually right.
  7. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Well that post dosent realy say that im right either. There can be more then one reason why they dont include space combat and his blog seems more personal then what the whole company thinks.

For example the original reason might have been that they didnt want to make two games in one and the technical difficulties etc, but after thinking about it some more they may have decided that it also didnt fit the image they currently have of PA.

(and yea im one of those guys that sometimes argues against himself, a bad argument is a bad argument, even if its my argument or a argument that supports me).

Btw the "awsome people on the internet list" comment made me smile.
  8. rorybecker

rorybecker Member

We need to nail this across the entrance to the internet. :D
  9. plink

plink Active Member

Space combat sounds great in theory, but it really would be too complex.

The space combat that would fit with the style of this game is far more complex than any of you understand. Ideally, you would want to be able to position your space units around a planet at specific areas above the surface. This requires that every movement command has a 3rd (z) coordinate. How do you do this with a keyboard and mouse? Simply positioning a unit becomes difficult, and needs a level of micro management that would be cumbersome at best. (Grab a piece of modelling software, and you will begin to understand. Two clicks is as easy as it gets, but it would require the space portion to be played in some sort of grid. Camera control would also be a pain. Overall this whole interface would prove to be overly complex for the average gamer.)

The only way to simplify it would be to put all of space on a 2d plane. (just like the surface of the planet) But then, WHAT IS THE POINT? As I've seen it said before, it is basically the equivalent of a super sized 'sea battle'. On top of all of this, you now have to manage multiple planets with land, air, sea units, AND you then need to manage ALL the space in between EVERY planet. Good luck with that. Considering space is 99.9% * infinity empty, your battlefield will be ridiculously large. Yes, they could scale it way down, but the fact remains, you end up with a large chunk of empty space that needs managing. New defenses, space ports, transports, ways to get units from surface up into space. Protecting units as they travel to other planets... etc,etc,etc. = Insane levels of complexity. This would all be on top of an already super complex, MULTI-PLANET GAME!

Simply managing bases/battles on multiple planets with the current game, will be more difficult than any of you realize. So how about wait for the game to be finished, try it out, get your asses handed to you by someone who can control far more planets simultaneously than you can, and then imagine if there had ALSO been interstellar combat included.
  10. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

Garat said space combat is "incredibly cool idea", not we wish we could do this. He then goes on to explain the technical challenges to the problem IF they chose to do it.

Neut, on the other hand makes it very clear that space combat is not part of the game, because "it's simply not part of the vision for PA and would be a different game." He didn't say he wished it could be part of the game but was to complicated. He said that it was NOT part of the game, and said that would be a different game.

Iron420 You are still wrong. They don't want to do it.
  11. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I admitted to being wrong after the first neutrino quote, the one using the blog post wasent me.

So "Hes still wrong" not "You are still wrong", since your not realy arguing with me anymore.
  12. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

Fixed ;)
  13. iron420

No one argued that Uber wants to do it currently. Any way you slice the reasons the end result is that they aren't going to do it. My argument was that they would Like to do it, but can't (for whatever reason). Reasons may be multiple or different depending on who exactly you talk to as well (even within their own team). All that aside, its hard to argue it doesn't fit with the theme or direction of the game because it increases the scale (watch the kickstarter videos, they are always talking about how bigger is better) and, lets face it, its natural to want to fight in space when your battling on multiple planets within it. You can't fault a person like OP for wanting it, or being sad it wont be in the game.
  14. schockster

schockster New Member

I was first sad too, as I chatted with a friend and he corrected me that in PA will be only orbital units, no spaceships.

I was expecting it. Missunderstanded something during the kickstarter or whatever.

But when I think about it, it makes absolutly sense! I dreamed years about a Space-Ground Realtime game but PA isnt that game. Its another one. And this is good! This kind of game wouldnt work with the concept from TA and SupCom, which will be included in PA.

I am really excited how battles from one planet to another one will work.

I mean if one guy is on one planet and the otherone on another one, how do you attack him? Asterioids, Rockets and Unit Cannon cant be the only options. Really exciting about this part of the game.

Space ships would ruin this type of gameplay. You just build a bunch of spaceships and fly to every planet and bomb it to hell. Regular units shouldnt have anti spaceship weapons. It would be ridiculos. So everybody would only build spaceships and anti spaceships rocket launcher or something like that.

Really glad about no spaceships. Makes it actually more fun to play, I think.
  15. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

Bingo. It is the same reason there are two tech level. The same reason there will not be a ton of experimental, commander upgrades, and so on. Neut called SupCom "the kitchen sink". The devs goal has been to distill the game play down into its most simplest and ultimately fun form.
  16. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

I love space.
    I love spaceships.

I had a problem with their lack of appearance in PA until I actually thought about it.
    Now it makes sense and I really like where this game is going.
    No point in basing a game off a land battle if people are using spaceships.
    No point building bases to leapfrog your way to the enemy if you can just roam around your game ending fleet. (how I ended every homeworld game)
    We went for awesome, and that means slamming nuke silo bearing asteroids into nuke silo bearing planets and watching the whole thing dissolve into a burning rocky apple-core.