I'm considering starting up a Kickstarter Campaign of my own...

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by squishypon3, November 10, 2014.

?

Do you think you'd back this project?

1. Yes.

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Maybe, show me more details.

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. No. (Reasons below?)

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

$10,000+ backer tier? XD
    PhoneySpring646 and stuart98 like this.
  2. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

I used unity terrain for PC and Web build. For mobiles terrain take too many CPU power, because it has dynamic generated mesh based on distance from camera. It take about 20-100 drawcals! So I optymalized it by exporting to obj and reducing polycound in Maya. Then this simplified terrain return to unity and I creaded simple shader that used only 4 compressed terrain textures and one mask texture (RGBA).
  3. destravous

destravous Member

Few things to consider:
    -One of the major hurdles with making an ios/android game based off of a pc game is getting the controls right. With an rts I think you should put a lot of thought into making the controls as fluid as possible.

-Rather then going 3d why not 2d?
    2d would make it run faster, be easier to navigate, program, and be easier to setup controls in most cases. Besides that, the art can be easier to make (at least in my experiance so far).

-Multiplayer, do you have any experiance with setting that up? With an rts you will probably need to learn that as well, and that in itself will be very tricky.

-For something like kickstarter these issues become very important, as now you have a deadline. So, an alpha/demo before kickstarter is definitely a good idea.

That said, I would definitely support you, as a decent rts for android would be great! In fact, let me know if you need a programmer for the project as I would be glad to help!
    Last edited: November 11, 2014
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

People need to get out of the habit of assuming that good 3D art is harder than good 2D art. Animating complex sprites in 2D is massively difficult (at times).

I do lowpoly 3D and am currently practising sprite art. You can do 3D art and 2D art badly.

I've heard things about Unity that mean multiplayer networking is easier than it used to be. Back when I first started using Unity you had to developer a lot of the features yourself, and it was horrendous (they actually stripped the networking segment out of our uni module the year before, because it caused everyone to horrendously overrun with their projects).
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

One of my interweb pen-pals did the programming for Airscape, Which is written in Construct 2, an HTML language. Assuming I remembered it right. So that might be worth looking into.
  6. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

2D art annoys me because I still can't get the same patience and skill in digital as I do on paper >.< I'm drawing up tiles for a small multiplayer project, they look amazing on my notepad but SO **** on GIMP
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Hahaha, I get what you mean. I need to find a working stylus for my new phone, would be able to practise drawing again (I have little time/space for paper art these days). I've found a decent app for small sprites, I practise on that as well (Pixelesque, available at least on Android).
  8. squishypon3

I can do 2d and 3d and I must say, 3d is quite easy to me though. :>

Edit: Little known fact, I drew my profile picture... WITH A MOUSE!
  9. kvalheim

On that, is there a good system / software for making pixel art for 2D unity games? Just in general for keeping scale all the same and better than just making shitty sprites in MS paint?
  10. squishypon3

I made sprites in game maker at one point, just because it has a nice teeny pixel sprite editor xP
  11. destravous

destravous Member

So far i have been making 2d art by rendering 3d top down orthographic, and starting from there. so that's an option unless you consider it cheating :p
  12. squishypon3

TA used 3D models, yet some process to automatically make 2D sprites out of them, I would... LOVE to know how that was done, and if it's still possible. Hehe.
  13. destravous

destravous Member

Its definitely possible, one of the easier ways of doing it would be to make a simple raytracer and render the 3d model to a 2d image. actually, making it orthographic would be even easier I think, because less maths. There would probably be a bunch of details to work out though to make it fully automatic, etc. Definitely possible though.
  14. squishypon3

The main reason is that it'd be quite a bit less resource intensive which is... Very much required when making a game on phones. :p

Also, I'll look into those, thanks. :D
  15. destravous

destravous Member

No problem :D

Oh yeah, I should also mention unities render to texture function, setup a camera over a model with orthographic, and this function would do the rest....to bad its only for unity pro though...
  16. squishypon3

Yet another reason to do a KS? :>
  17. destravous

destravous Member

Depends on if would rather do that then build a raytracer, or you could do the monthly deal with unity, much cheaper on the short term. I personally would do the raytracer, as they don't appear difficult in unity, but again depends :p
  18. squishypon3

@Gorbles

So far I have a cube, are you proud of me?

RTS 1.PNG
    Gorbles likes this.
  19. kvalheim

I wish I had Unity Pro.
    The free, "grey" skin is hideous

Claymoresquare.png
  20. squishypon3