I'm all for free speech, but the Steam forums need a bit of cleaning

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by iamassassin, August 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamassassin

iamassassin New Member

Relevant xkcd to begin:
    [​IMG]

Free speech is meant to help communications thrive, but in the case of the current state of the Steam forums, it's hindering discussions. The people trolling and whining there clearly don't care about the game, and are making it hard for newcomers who might care to learn whether they should buy the game, or ask for help in learning how to play.

That said, threads providing meaningful discussion about whether the expansion has been priced appropriately should always be allowed.

I would prefer it if there were a "Whining about the price" subforum and anyone who posts Anti-Uber/Troll threads in the General Discussions gets one warning then a ban.

It should however, be made clear that people are welcome to discuss their hate for Uber anywhere else they may wish to. I highly doubt anyone will, though. It's just a mopve to force their hand and show they have nothing to offer.
  2. Elate

Elate Active Member

See, you're always going to have those angry few, I'm talking about the folks with the angry "F U UBAH" thread titles, that is the inevitable outrage at first discovering this whole thing. Most of those people go away quickly.

The anger you're seeing now is due to people like yourself labeling them trolls, and "whining". Here's a tip, if you want people to respect your opinion, don't write their opinion off as whining, it doesn't go down very well.

Most people have legitimate grievances with either how Uber has conducted themselves, or how Uber has treated them in comparison to other people. Or y'know, the price, which is always up for debate.

Attitudes like yours do more to stir the pot than anything else, attitudes like yours are what is keeping this fire burning. Every time it begins to die down, one more person, one more thread pops up hurling insults, talking down to people, generally being unpleasant.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You show me one legitimate grievance that I can't shut down with logic and deductive reasoning and we'll stop calling those nutjobs trolls.
    stuart98 and PhoneySpring646 like this.
  4. iamassassin

iamassassin New Member

I actually try to be as pleasant and reasonable as possible, even when arguing with obvious trolls. The closest I'll ever get to insulting someone will be to insult their behaviour (not the person).

My point is that these people are not contributing to the community or discussions, and do not own or play the game, so why are we providing space for them to continue being a nuisance?
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I wrote a bunch of lines here, but I am sick of repeating myself.
    Yes the steam forum isn't an optimal place. It is what it is. Calling them out in a generalized way won't do any good though.
    Especially people who just want to see as much as chaos as possible won't be stopped anyway by deleting threads anyway. Making steam accounts is free after all.

locked this thread, there are others with the same topic and all has been said anyway.
    stuart98, mered4 and Elate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.