If Uber hadn't started working on HR, how close would we be to having offline/saves/insert feature h

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, October 5, 2014.

1. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

40 PLAYER MATCHES WOOOOOTTTT.. Count me in!
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Someone host a Statera game on two 1300 planets with 40 players. I've got to know how it plays out.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well I think uber just nuked most of the arguments the nay sayers had :) seriously people this is the last critical feature that was missing, and they're still working on things.

Also I've got a hunch we may be getting an update on hr in a few days announcing some new capabilities :p looks to me uber have played their cards rather well :)
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If Uber hadn't started working on HR, we STILL would have servers by Oct. 9th. WITH a LOT LESS *****ing.

That is what would have happened if Uber hadn't started working on HR. Ah... the road less traveled...
    igncom1 likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This isn't by any means the last critical feature that was missing.

It also would have been better if Uber had waited a week to announce HR until they announce, or after they announced, offline.

Think about how awesome and hyptastic if Uber had said "Hey, here's offline, and an awesome new game!"
  6. cdrkf

Well, thing is with a high goal you have to maintain momentum and publicity is key to get people to know about a project.

A bit of controversy may actually be an effective way of spreading the word, then fixing the cause part way... Maybe not intentional but potentially not a bad thing overall...
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

No. Definitely a bad thing. A lot of people have not backed HR because of stuff like missing offline. Just go look at announcement posts, particularly announcement posts not here on the forums, but also here. A lot of people didn't back HR, and won't come back to see if stuff has changed.
    cmdandy likes this.
  8. TerrorScout

TerrorScout Member

Did they really stop work on the custom commanders did yours get done I was looking forward to seeing it?
  9. deadhawk112

deadhawk112 New Member

if they release so we can host LAN servers. wouldn't it be possible to test things like 40 player games with programs like Tunngle, Evolve and maybe Hamachi?(not really sure about Hamachi though)
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Theoretically, so really we are getting somewhere at an alarmingly fast rate.
    igncom1 likes this.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

This is a thing that is happening. REALM, ASSEMBLE!!
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. steambirds

steambirds Member

If Uber hadn't started working on HR, offline would've been announced on the eighth.
  13. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Just read through the comments on the HR announcement on a german tech site - literally every comment was like "The didn't finish PA, so I'm not backing this". Everywhere you go you read this. If they had announced HR just a little later it would have been MUCH more successful.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  14. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Better how? For us or them?
  15. cdrkf

You know Promethean might just be able to scrape together enough players to take you guys on in a 20 v 20....... Would take some organising though....
  16. cdrkf

I think Brian's point is there would be more backers already. I'd argue this is a 30 day campaign, and once the PA offline mode is out in the wild that news will spread.

Then if Uber do a big update on HR adding in 'offline mode / DRM free' that could potentially generate some good press and bring many of the 'I would have backed but drm' crowd back in. I mean I think with a goal this high it isn't good enough to have a great first pitch, you need to keep feeding it with updates. A bit of controversy at the start potentially gets people talking.

It probably wasn't intentional *but* could well work out fine. I'm not saying it was 'better' this way around than just having this in place at the start, however it potentially doesn't have to be a problem depending on how Uber play things moving forward.
  17. wafletofles

wafletofles Member

I really have a feeling that Uber went into overcharge to bring us offline on the 9th, as they saw how the kickstarter was turning out. They probably would not have announced offline as soon as they are if it were not for the backlash on the kickstarter.
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I will await the videos!
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Honestly I don't know, I've seen great Kickstarter campaigns fail before, without any track record. People have just stopped trusting KS altogether because of things like the 4chan scams and that one guy who made multiple KSs and stated multiple games to be "complete" and just stop working on them.

I really wanted Reflex to make its goal, it was going up really quickly, screeched to a halt at about 80k and hasn't really budged much for days.
  20. cdrkf

I think the potential problem with Reflex (after watching the intro) is the video looks like many free arena shooters already available. I get the impression that the *engine* is quite capable but that map they're showing doesn't really show anything I can't already get in many places for nothing.

I mean it looks in the video just like Warsow (which is free and a great game if you like fast paced arena combat). They really needed to show at least 1 scene with a full on high quality finish, show something jaw dropping to highlight why their game is different, what it is we're funding.

I agree though some very good looking KS games don't get the backing I think they deserve. The campaign for Flagship isn't doing as well as I'd like (though it's still looking like it may *just* make it, so here's hoping) and that *is* offering something new. I guess we'll find out.