If Uber hadn't started working on HR, how close would we be to having offline/saves/insert feature h

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, October 5, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Overall they have been ok at communication, but at the pivotal time of launch they went completely mute and have scarcely said a word since.

Even in a relationship, that is a red flag for something.
    tatsujb likes this.
  2. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

They are not confident to have delivered. They're not stupid, they know they did not deliver.

It's just more convenient to say that they did.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

@brianpurkiss the sort of thing you are doing in this thread is exactly why Uber has clammed up in the first place. You are taking quotes made in various different places, in the spirit of open communication, and adding your own spin to them to make statements that barely resemble what was actually being said.

The "we are going to pull people off PA in a couple of months" thing is a prime example of why Uber employees are afraid to post anything on this forum for fear that people will misconstrue their quotes - or in some cases draw their own complex conclusions from a very simple statement - and use them to bash Uber over the head.

Communication is a two-way street. If you want Uber to communicate more, you've got to stop with that sort of thing.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm tired of people saying it's the community's fault or it's Brian's fault for Uber clamming up.

That's simply not true. I've already written on that topic over here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...erver-offline-saves.64887/page-2#post-1013004

Also, it is a straight up fact that people will be pulled off of PA to work on HR. No twisting. No agenda. It's just how business works.
    elkanfirst and cmdandy like this.
  5. cwarner7264

I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, but I know that if I stood to have anything I typed on this forum brought up and potentially used against my employer I'd certainly be doing it a whole lot less.

Varrak made that statement in good faith as a reassurance that work was being done on PA's server, but you've taken the spirit of that and actually flipped the meaning from "PA is being worked on" to "work will stop on PA". That is the very definition of spin. That's what politicians do all the time.
  6. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I am also sick and tired of people blaming anyone but Uber for this situation.

Brian appears to be one of the few people who has actually had the guts to try and hold Uber down on their promises and now his character is getting called into disrepute for doing it.

He's not a PA hater, can anyone imagine the hours of work he has put into PA Matches? He isn't part of the problem here.

He may have put spin on Varrak's actual words - but the meaning is still true. Uber have de-prioritized PA and will continue to do so as HR grows.

What we need now is a moderator lead Q&A session with Uber where they answer the tough questions.

EG:

How many devs are working on PA?
    What is being worked on right now?
    What is the road map of future features?
    How big is the HR team compared to the PA team?
    How long will Uber maintain the size of the PA team?

I'm pretty sure by answering just those 5 questions (and maybe a few more like it) Uber could bring all of this under control.

Judging by their amazing PR choices in the half-baked realsed of 1.0 and the wonderfully timed announcement of HR, this wont ever happen though.
    muhatib, elkanfirst, mot9001 and 2 others like this.
  7. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Hate is rightfully deserved. Either communicate more (look at Epic and unreal engine, very detailed roadmap there) or don't make some surprise buttsex moves to community without any real communication besides some pr lies. Personally i doubt there will be much more for PA, we only get what they manage to do in next month or two. So anything not in PA before christmass will never be unless is moddded. I also doubt that we will have any real modding support, something more than few custom unit skins with slightly changed stats and ui.
  8. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i find it funny how People talk about devs being moved from PA to HR when the game still isn´t even funded
    and aside from a pitchvideo what else was there that confirms this?
    has anybody seen some some prealphafootage, technology that shows process torwards HR developement anything of that nature to truely confirm that a number of people have been moved yet?
    making a pitchvideo may take a while but isn´t a indication that any sort of major development for HR has been started yet ...
    Fr33Lancer and killerkiwijuice like this.
  9. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Oh no yeah sure Uber is EXACTLY the same capability as Epic, what with their thousands of staff and dozens and dozens of dedicated community staff and resources.
    squishypon3 and MrTBSC like this.
  10. brianpurkiss

I never said work will stop on PA.

I've said less and less work will be done on PA as resources are put over to HR. And there's still way too much that needs to be done on PA.

I even clarified my statement here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...es-insert-feature-h.64886/page-2#post-1012873

Edit: If Uber is concerned about their employees saying things that they shouldn't or something, then they should hire a community manager to interact with the community.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  11. cwarner7264

That statement might not prove to be true. We know that Uber have already hired some additional people to work on HR exclusively already. Once the Kickstarter is finalised I'd envisage more bodies appearing.

I'd also argue that Uber are more accutely aware than anyone of the work that needs doing to PA's server, so I'm doubtful that they'd pull engineers away from that before some of the critical tasks have been completed. Once all the missing features are added, then I'd expect a few to migrate across, because there'd be less that needs doing and so less people needed to do it.

EDIT: @cmdandy just to clarify I am not calling Brian's character into question, I'm providing critical feedback on his actions, which is a different thing. Brian means well and we all know how much he does, but I'm trying to get him to adjust his execution.
  12. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

They could at least try. Communicating with community does not require thousands of staff. For Uber size company 1 employe that actually gathers info and is allowed to communicate it would be plenty. But there is no will to communicate, because ones that make real decisions do not have pleasant information for us, and they need to take care about new kickstarter.
  13. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

It's very common in games that if you don't have CONCRETE, SOLID information on the state of something, you don't comment on it. Because the internet is prone to misinterpretation and speaks in pure hyperbole, so something like "Oh, we're having a little issue with X" is read as "ERMAGERD GAME SUCKS."
  14. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Its not just the PA server what about 40 man games, multiplayer galactic war, ladder, unitcannon, mapeditor etc...
  15. brianpurkiss

A map editor wasn't ever promised. That was something left to the realm of modding.

I agree about the rest of it though.
    nawrot likes this.
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

weird didn´t they talk a couple times about being able to define planets a bit more after general generation?
    multiplayer galactic war should take a while to be made so i don´t expect it all too soon ..
    remember we had 40 man games before and what it did to the server ... this might be rather something being tied in with offlinecapabilities and setting up own servers explicitly made for that purpose i would think ..
    elkanfirst likes this.
  17. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

yea that makes sence
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

40 man games are pretty much directly connected to the community, it was limited by client, but you could break the limit through modding. They let us do this... Until someone hosted a 100 man game.
  19. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Community can (probably) fix most of those if they have the server:
    • 40 player games should be simple to do out of the box, given a beefy enough server
    • Multiplayer galactic war could be done by a modder now if anyone wanted to sink the time into it
    • Map editor may be possible if we have access to the server, to replace the current generator with our own
    • Unit cannon is much more tricky, requiring alterations to the core engine. Not impossible for a modder to implement (given enough time anything is possible), but close enough to think it's unviable for any but the most dedicated hacker. Even then, such a solution will have serious issues, portability, bugs etc. Unless Uber abandons the unit cannon, I doubt anyone will make serious efforts to implement it
    cdrkf and philoscience like this.
  20. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

With the kickstarter in seemingly full stall today, the community overwhelmed by negativity, and uber refusing to acknowledge the extent of the problem it seems we are witnessing the final deathspiral of Uberent, and maybe of crowd funding in general.
    bradaz85 likes this.