If Uber hadn't started working on HR, how close would we be to having offline/saves/insert feature h

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, October 5, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

So you're saying you know for sure that it's all negligible? What you're saying is 100% completely and purely speculation. And I would venture to say that it's also not true since some big movers from PA are now working on HR. Jon Comes, a lot of the art guys (biomes still need work, lots of commanders still need to be delivered), Forrest, Marc, and not to mention that in a "few months" (quote from a developer) engineers from the PA team are going to be pulled off of PA and put onto HR and PA has a ton of work still to be done.

Agenda? Hell yes I have an agenda. I want Uber to fulfill their Kickstarter promises.

And don't forget about how they're harping on the crowdfunding is so the fans can have their input and help out and stuff, when we all know that Uber doesn't listen to their community. They belittle and attack their fans instead.

And what's more, Uber is so confident that they have straight up and completely delivered on their previous Kickstarter. No. They haven't. There is way too much missing from PA for PA to be delivered.
    elkanfirst, cmdandy, icycalm and 2 others like this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I'm tired of these threads criticizing HR and Uber. Maybe they don't talk to us because we have nothing nice to say.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I was led to believe from a little discussion with someone, that they had and still have the same exact devs working on this stuff, still working on this stuff. I believe @sorian even said they were working in 3 major areas, he mentioned his was UI and AI where he recently added metal spot generation to system editor, he mentioned 2 other areas. I heard elsewhere and it is only a hearsay, that @varrak was working on serverside.

So, unless they pull people like sorian and varrak off of PA, they aren't hampering their development.

Or, if you speak sarcasm: Oh no, they removed the art team from PA, how ever will we get a server without the art team. /sarcasm
    I want Uber to communicate more, but they have been very communicative and participative in the development with the community in general. You can harass them to communicate more, but you don't have the right to say they never communicate ever when you simply haven't heard anything in 3 weeks.

I am just saying, as far as that goes, don't sound like an obsessive girlfriend or naggy wife. No stereotype, just saying. "You never tell me how your day was or ask how my day was. Are you cheating on me with another development project?" Hilarious.
    DalekDan likes this.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Constructive criticism is what most people have been doing.

We want uber to communicate more.
    draiwn, cdrkf, nawrot and 4 others like this.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

@tHeTrOpHySyStEm : there was no sarcasm in my post. I meant what I said.

Link the quote
  6. brianpurkiss

Well that's not true.

We regularly and constantly have threads praising Uber. We have frequent threads talking about how awesome a certain feature is and how much we enjoy playing the game.

But when Uber says they've delivered on their Kickstarter promises and are beginning to focus on another game... PA still has so much work to be done.
  7. killerkiwijuice

Yes i agree, but the past few weeks have been mostly negativity regarding release and straight up hate regarding HR's announcement.
    pieman2906 and Devak like this.
  8. brianpurkiss

"Right now all our engineering resources are on PA, and the majority of our engineers will be for the next few months at least." -Varrak (source)

Even then, we don't need a source. When they start working on a new game, people will be pulled from PA to work on HR. It's simply how things work.

So we can only talk if we have something good to say? Why are we not allowed to voice our opinions and desire for Uber to follow through on their KS promises? Especially when Uber pretty much never says anything anymore.
  9. cola_colin

So all he said was they will work on PA for the next few month at least. He did not say "in a few month everyone will be pulled to HR". Those are different statements.
  10. killerkiwijuice

I'm not so much worried about the questions as to the feedback and supporting arguments/comments. Uber should definitely be more communicative but it's hard to say something when the thread is almost in complete flames, which fortunately has not happened to this one yet.

If i were to be a complete noob that just started looking at these forums today, i would GTFO ASAP.
    DeadStretch and proeleert like this.
  11. brianpurkiss

I never said everyone. I said "engineers" as in multiple people of an unknown amount will be pulled.

I see how you coulda misread my statement and I apologize for any confusion.

I just was saying that over time more and more people are going to be pulled off of PA and PA still needs a lot more work. Not just some small updates here and there.
  12. cola_colin

A team of more than a dozen people at work for multiple month equals multiple men years of work. That should amount to more than some small updates.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

All they did was confirm that they have several months of work planned for those people. To infer from their statement that they are confirming plans to move people over to HR seems like a willful misinterpretation.
  14. brianpurkiss

So you're saying that no developers who are working on PA are going to move over to HR?

Devs are going to move from PA to HR. That's a simple and undeniable fact. That's simply how game development works. And I understand that and am fine with that, however I think that it is too early to be moving people away from PA. There's simply too much to be done to PA.

Your attack on my character and claims that I am willfully lying and specifically trying to mislead people have been noted. They are also simply not true.
    cmdandy likes this.
  15. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Of course people will switch teams. I just don't see how you think it is "too soon" since they specifically said it wasn't happening any time soon. The only thing they said was that it won't happen for several months. If at that time they can afford to move someone over, they probably will. If the work isn't done, they don't have to move people around. Their statement that they have several months of work planned does not mean that they plan to end development after that work is finished.
  16. brianpurkiss

They do think that the work is done. They do think that Planetary Annihilation has been delivered and they have fulfilled their Kickstarter promises. Those words are direct quotes from multiple Uber employees, including Mavor.

According to them, they could not add anything more to PA and they will have fulfilled their Kickstarter promises and they would have seen the fulfillment of the Kickstarter vision.

Based on what they said, in their mind, anything they do further is just extra gravy that they do not need to give us.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  17. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

holy jesus! my professors would kill me and butcher my report if I mention any quote without the source....
    here is an example of how to quote and properly reference it:

They say PA is the greatest game ever [1]
    We will have Chuck Norris as a special commander [2]
    The main point of Human Resources is.... human resources [3]
    All humans eaten by The Ancients will have brianpurkiss's face [4]

Source:
    [1] <insert hyperlink here>
    [2] <insert hyperlink here>
    [3] <insert hyperlink here>
    [4] <insert hyperlink here>
  18. brianpurkiss

If you want sources, I'll give you sources. These quotes have been tossed around quite a lot so I figured they were common knowledge.

“To me the game is very representative of the original vision. More so than most games I’ve worked on.” -Jon Mavor, owner of Uber Entertainment http://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryan...s_one_build_from_going_gold_seriously/ck1i2qp

“Bottom line is that we’ve built (and continue to build) a game that represents the vision I pitched.” -Jon Mavor, owner of Uber Entertainment http://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryan...s_one_build_from_going_gold_seriously/ck1adur

"With Planetary Annihilation, we think the results speak for themselves. The game is a beloved and critically lauded entry in the RTS canon, and we’re extremely proud of it. Now we’re ready to try something even more ambitious." -HR KS page

"Planetary Annihilation’s vision has been achieved or else we wouldn’t have launched it," -Brad https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...nnihilation-fans-about-human-resources.64719/

To them, PA is complete. The vision has been achieved.

To them anything else they do is just extra, but not required.

There's also plenty more quotes.
    bradaz85, iron71 and elkanfirst like this.
  19. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

These do not mean the same thing.

Also, you mentioned that:

When did they say this?

More importantly, why are they still working on a perfectly (in their opinion, according to you) complete game that they could add nothing more to?
    Fr33Lancer and cptconundrum like this.
  20. brianpurkiss

They didn't say it exactly. But when they say that the game is complete, the the vision has been achieved, that means it's done and over. No more updates are required. Any more updates are just extra.

The mindset that PA is "complete" is very important.

PA is not complete. It is missing many many important features that were promised. Not to mention many other basic features that are a simple requirement for a game, like stability and a tutorial. Not to mention the polish that is required for a top notch game.

You can haggle over exactly what was said and nitpick "well they didn't exactly say that." But their mindset is clear. To them, PA is a complete and absolutely amazing game, and it is far from it. PA is still at beta levels, missing many things and deserving of so much more.
    ohhhshiny likes this.