Idea for teching up Commander for late-game use (not the SupCom way)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by LavaSnake, October 30, 2013.

1. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Now I know many are against Sup-com style commander upgrades, so please understand that I am NOT suggesting that or am I in favor of it. This is a set of 4 possible upgrades (only one can be used at a time) that are designed to continue the commander's usefulness into late-game. The way I'm thinking of it is sort of a iron man suit that is built over the commander by any advanced fabber for somewhere around the cost of a catapult. Depending on which fabber built it the suit would change the commander by improving HP and either weapons, fabbing, or speed. The suit improves HP by taking the damage first and once it's own HP bar reaches 0, it explodes and leaves the commander like it was originally. Here's what I was thinking the suit options would be:
    • Built by T2 vehicle fabber: Tank-like attack suit. Would have the highest HP of any upgrade, better main cannon, and a light artillery gun (think of the sheller's cannon).
    • Built by T2 bot fabber: Super fabber suit. This suit would have a lowish HP level and turn the cannon arm into another one of the starting commander's fabbing arms. It could still build only one thing at a time but the speed, metal usage, and power usage would equal that of two commanders. It would also gain access to all the blueprints that the T2 bot fabber has. Lastly, a slightly weakened version of the AA tower would be on it's shoulder for defensive purposes.
    • Built by T2 aircraft fabber: Fast strafing suit. This would double the commander's speed, have a medium HP level, and increase the Uber cannon to be more powerful, but require a 10 second cool down. It would also have jump jets for getting over cracks and mountains.
    • Built by T2 boat fabber: Underwater upgrades. Faster movement underwater, a torpedo cannon, and small HP level along with a light fabbing upgrade.
    Please tell me what you think!
    gadarn, zaphodx, cmdandy and 3 others like this.
  2. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

I like the ideas, they would add a little specificity to the commander in certain environments. I also like how you tailored each upgrade to the type of fabber making the upgrade, it's creative, unique, and fits in the game. Unfortuantly Uber made it sound like they weren't planning on doing commander upgrades at least prior to launch, so you're probably going to see the forum police BrianPurkiss or KNight throw in some nay-saying here.
    Last edited: October 30, 2013
    gadarn likes this.
  3. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Sounds great!
  4. evolvexxx

evolvexxx Member

I still remember as I was playing SupCom and saw for the first time a king kriptor... I thought: whats this bullshit? I'm gonna **** it up with my ACU!
    Where is that bitch?
    Oh there, I'm...................
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

Sorry for the nonsense :p
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So basically this is a tweaked version the Exo-Suit idea that we've already thrashed out in the Backer's Lounge?

At the end of the day these are still upgrades.

Mike
  6. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Maybe he can't see the backer's lounge and would have no idea that you've already discussed the idea?
  7. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

It's been stated time and time again. There will be no upgrades whatsoever.
  8. KNight

Well he can see the backer's lounge and it's not hard to find threads about commander upgrades, they're littered everywhere . People can't seem to let go if the idea that the Commander is some kind of Rambo Commando that can take on armies and not even break a sweat.

Mike
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow dude.

may I one-up?

considering all factories are built with two entrance/exits (except for the airfac) you'd just tell the com to step into a factory, then he'd walk up the ramp to the place where normally units are built, then select the factory select the upgrade and the fac would strat nanolathing on the com!

work done? com continues foward and walks right out.
    air upgrade? transport the com atop the air fac.
  10. LavaSnake

I understand that KNight and I've looked at many of those threads (I do have backer access). Please understand that I'm not trying to make the commander all-powerful or anything like that. It is also not anything big like the exo-suit. I was only thinking it would be useful to be able to bring the commander up a (small) notch when you move to T2. I know Uber's against the SupCom style commander upgrades and customizable commanders (I am too), but again that isn't what I'm suggesting here.
    hahapants likes this.
  11. tatsujb

it's genius though.

what if THIS is the customisation gimick Uber was thinking of?
    gadarn and LavaSnake like this.
  12. LavaSnake

The core of this is that it is a late-game, basic upgrade. (So you'd add it using adv. fabbers.)
  13. tatsujb

adv. facs on my idea so no harm.
  14. LavaSnake

Oh, well that's an interesting idea then. I still like it more when done by fabbers and you'd have to somehow insert the suit order into the build orders on that factory, but interesting none the less.
  15. KNight

LavaSnake, you misunderstand, Uber isn't against "SupCom style"(whatever that means) Upgrades, they're against Upgrades period.

Mike
  16. LavaSnake

Ok, I guess that's it then. Thanks for taking a look at it!
  17. KNight

18. tatsujb

what about in this idea? https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...ame-use-not-the-supcom-way.53378/#post-814519
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...ame-use-not-the-supcom-way.53378/#post-814522
    I said this may be an angle to look at it with : what if the commander assemble-it-yourself kit gimmick they want to do with the different com abilities isn't something that happens in lobby, before the game, but something that happens durring the game?
    why not?

the game knows which arm, or which com abilities you have access to, make them be something you have to also afford in game. why not?

it would be fun and remove the whole "HABLURBLURBLUR! It's IMMBA!" deal.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  19. KNight

Neutrino's other Response to Upgrades from the Feb 8th Live Stream(37:32).

Otherwise ign, your idea just seem to be nothing more than a hassle, both it terms of the controling player need to do something to unlock things his commander should be doing by default and for theopposing player who needs to know if the commanders stronger or not.

It's like what we had in SupCom2, the OC upgrade had no visual distinction, so the only way to know if the enemy had it was to blindly charge in and and see if it did or not, if it didn't you might win, if it did you lost all your units.

Obviously in PA they could have visual indications, but Each commander will be different and trying to remember them all isn't the kind of things you should expect players to do.

Mike
  20. bytestream

bytestream Active Member

I think it's sad that not even a tech upgrade for the commander is planned. I mean, I don't even need different tech upgrades, just give me one that allows my commander to build advanced tech so he isn't limited to the support role later on in the game.
    LavaSnake likes this.