Idea for one of the Kickstarter Stretch Goals - A New Race

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nactsuht, August 16, 2012.

1. nactsuht

nactsuht New Member

Total Annihilation was always my favorite game growing up, which is why I'm super excited about this one. To me, it will always be the superior game to Starcraft, and Gamespy apparently seems to feel the same.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/494/494673p11.html

However, one of the major advantages Starcraft always had over Total Annihilation, was that it had 3 very unique races. In TA, Arm and Core were cool, but they were very similar in a lot of ways. Over half of their units were basically a carbon copy of each other with a different name and a different model.

In Planetary Annihilation, you guys have the opportunity to correct this major design flaw, and add 3 completely different and exciting races with their own unique strengths and weaknesses. 2 races is ideal, but say your Kickstarter hits 1.5 million dollars - I think it would be fair to your community to add a third.

This is a great opportunity to really set Planetary Annihilation apart from its roots, and make it better in every way.

Thanks for your consideration!
  2. raptorbones

raptorbones New Member

Re: Idea for one of the Kickstarter Stretch Goals - A New Ra

I hope that the different 'races' just have different specialities, i.e this one is better at shooting, this one has the best flying units, this one builds bases quicker but is worse at combat in general. That sort of thing.
  3. ramcat

ramcat New Member

I like the idea of one race for everybody. No winning because you have better units for this or that map. We all have the same units and the same chance to win.
  4. lophiaspis

lophiaspis Member

This. 3 races is almost impossible to balance, plus it takes (more than) 3 times as much effort to make 3 units that cover essentially the same strategic niches.

I would prefer a single race with as much complexity as 2 or 3 typical RTS races! :cool:
  5. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

I was actually thinking it how the map is generated would be relevant too, since its supposedly a random map generator?
  6. nactsuht

nactsuht New Member

True, one single, really dynamic and well thought-out race would be just as good! I hope there are tons of different strategies you can use with it though!
  7. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Multiple races wouldn't hurt but instead they'd waste more time on balancing them unless they find a clever way of making it properly work. It would altough add quite some more variety, what if it was just visual maybe?
  8. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

One race, twice the units. Please.

Let people choose how they play on the battlefield, not in the game lobby.
  9. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

HERESY!

Regardless on a more serious note, I've voiced my support of a secondary race in the other thread about races and i dont see a need to repeat myself.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

11. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

As much as I'd loath a third thread, perhaps a poll is in order. Between one race twice the units and multiple race (as preference).

Although thinking back i remember a game called dark reign where there were three factions, Imperial, rebel and torgran, due to story line reasons the torgran faction was just one faction that had access to the entirety of both the other factions units but they allowed its use in multiplayer because why not? There where no downsides to the torgran faction just that unless the players agreed otherwise it would probably be poor form to play them.

Seems an appropriate comprimise for why not do both. From something i read by the developers they seem to have also considered this.
    Edit:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/15/plane ... terview/2/

Well not exactly as i said however it isn't particuarly different. But given that my one (perhaps insignificant) opinion was that the concept of factions makes the game stronger, as long as they exist in some manner i'm probably happy.
  12. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Done!

I tried to incorporate all possible combinations of voting as well.
  13. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

Sorry to be trolling, but my poll is better and less prone to misclicks, confusing, and ennui / TL;DR syndrome.

Vote here: More Units or More Factions? ;)