Icarus

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by cwarner7264, August 20, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The hermes is listed as orbital.
  2. huangth

huangth Active Member

I know, but it is indeed a Reconnaissance unit.
    When I click the page of Reconnaissance unit, it should be inside it, but it isn't.

By the way, you can't see Artemis in the orbital units when you are looking at the homepage.
    You can only find it after you click the page of orbital units.
    Last edited: August 21, 2015
  3. cola_colin

The classifications are wrong, but I doubt it would show a wrong value when it shows a numeric value.
    You can also show the raw unit spec and check yourself.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. qazplm601

qazplm601 New Member

I find them pretty useful in GW. they are so cheap to make, i put out 80 or so, send out some scouts to find the commander, they overwhelm the air defense with sheer numbers and kill the commander. they might be a bit too useful actually :p (edit: this was on normal so that likely has something to do with it ;) )
    Last edited: August 22, 2015
  5. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

I love them! I spam them when I am alone on a planet. You should consider that factories are more efficient than fabricators and factories can't build factories. With a few air factories spamming Icaruses, I have vision all over the planet and that is huge as it is easy to get utterly wrecked if you are careless when you think you are alone.
  6. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

T
    thanks!!
  7. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Keep in mind, that the Icarus also allows for an entirely different all-air-opening than before. You can choose not to build any pgens until T2/orbital, which kind of is a nice thing in respect to some of the more build space limited new maps.

It's really not so difficult to come up with use cases for that unit, as it is.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  8. cola_colin

One second of a few enemy hummingbirds close to your flying pgens and you are dead.
    huangth likes this.
  9. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I think the icarus should be a bit more tanky. Its too much of a risk to actually build them for energy.

I'd love to fiddle out a build with them but at the moment they're just not worth it.
    burntcustard likes this.
  10. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

The underwater vision was removed in the latest patch. So that is clearly not their intended purpose. What is? I can't find anything for them to do other than mixing them in a planet wide air patrol spam.
    huangth likes this.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

But why would you do that when you can include other things in the mix that are more cost-effective?
    huangth and mered4 like this.
  12. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Exactly my point. I've yet to see a consistent use for the icarus, even in casual play
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

They make sense in planet wide defence imo as they're only t1 air unit that targets air and land, and they give you free energy as a bonus.
  14. mered4

But bombers do more dps :(
  15. cdrkf

Yes but they can't target invading t2 fighters....
  16. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Just to be clear, I would do something like an infinite build queue in each factory of 1 fighter, 2 bomber, 1 icarus. It's just a steady uptick in energy and an additional guard against random fabber drops. It's probably not super effective or better than pure fighter/bomber, except I guess you could get more coverage of them faster. Originally I thought you could go pure icarus and get control more quickly, without crashing your eco. I'm not sure though as I guess a single t2 fighter can probably wipe out half a planet of them.
    mered4 likes this.
  17. cdrkf

I duno, the t2 fighters are good against groups, but the icaru's has actually quite decent AA ability when I tried them (the alpha damage of the weapon isn't too bad, it just has slow rof).
    mered4 likes this.
  18. mered4

I dunno CD. I usually send 20 or so t2 fighters to scout enemy planets late game. Not sure an icarus world patrol would slow that down at all.
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

What if their health was increased to 325 and cost increased to 200?

Would you use them then?
  20. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

HP increase good, metal cost increase bad. Gotta stay competitive with the T1 pgens in my opinion.
    mered4 likes this.