I wish MNC Had been in the Valve ARG

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by eternal, April 20, 2011.

1. d-roy

d-roy Active Member

To clear things up on why there is a store in the first place. And why it's good and bad.

1. Valve fans were clamoring for a way to donate to Valve.
    - With the store they are able to do so, and get a visual bonus for it.
    2. Trading came no earlier than the same update as Mann.co for a very good reason. Valve feared people would use their in-game items to sell on eBay for ridiculous amounts of money.
    - With the store, the items would have a fixed and low price. Effectively terminating eBaying.

It all worked awesome except for two things!

Trading weapons were allowed in the first place.
    - Weapons are a game-changing mechanic. And most weapons in TF2 are very unbalanced.
    - If trading weapons wouldn't have been allowed they wouldn't have the need to add them to the store.
    And of course: Item-sets

In conclusion: The store in Portal 2 is perfect.
  2. eternal

eternal New Member

Ooooo so close. But sorry not perfect.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unusual-Pillar-Hats ... 4158c9a000

People do sell hats/keys/nametags/ect on ebay still. Really all valve did was price their own products at about the same sort of jacked up over price gouged values that people would charge on ebay/craigslist.
  3. Goose

Goose Active Member

FunkyGoose, your existence doesn't fit well with me. You need to change you profile picture, it is far too similar to mine. :)
  4. eternal

eternal New Member

I've yet to see you two online at the same time.

HMMMMMMMMMM <.<
  5. eternal

eternal New Member

http://kotaku.com/#!5794642/potato-sack ... tal-2s-arg

Just saw this article (was literally posted like 10minutes ago.)
  6. Goose

Goose Active Member

this guy knows whats up
  7. eternal

eternal New Member

Eh I disagree goose. I personally dislike the "micro"transactions put into tf2 and the heavy emphasis on cosmetic patches with less emphasis on balance / bug fix patches. Plus they haven't included an option to disable hats client side which is annoying.

But I still really like valve and their games. Just one aspect of one game I hate.
  8. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Make me.
    You call crafting together randomly dropped weapons 'Earning' them?You don't earn anything in TF2, you get it at random intervals.
    Where did I make that arguement? Also the last part of your 'Arguement' makes no sense. If it doesn't give people much of an advantage then how does it make them stand no chance?

Those are all visual, try again.
  9. eternal

eternal New Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/8X-TEAM-FORTRESS-2- ... 1e6319d2d1 refined metal (used for crafting weapons or hats)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Fortress-2-Cru ... 27ba611cb6

Crusaders Crossbow sells for $9.99 from the Valve store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50X-TEAM-FORTRESS-2 ... 1e6318cf87

Mann Co crates require you to purchase a key to unlock them but they can contain hats or weapons.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-WEAPONS-TEAM-FOR ... 1e6318ce30

collection of weapons

---

Yup valve sure did stop those people from selling stuff on ebay. Damn it, why didn't Blizzard think of that with gold farmers!
  10. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Meh got me there.
  11. d-roy

d-roy Active Member

Without Valves Mann.co we'd be seeing prices at nearly 25 bucks, if not more, for single weapons on eBay. So they did stop it, somewhat. But why anyone would go through all the trouble on eBay to save 2 bucks is beyond me (referring to Crusader Crossbow). And why anyone would buy crates(crates of all things!) is beyond me as well.

Is it okay if I call those kinda buyers/players just plain stupid?
  12. eternal

eternal New Member

Instead we see prices at 17.49 in the mannco store for the Loch 'n Load.

The store wouldn't be such a problem if Valve didn't seriously overprice EVERYTHING in the store. Or if the random drop system wasn't so terrible.
  13. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Dat misinformation.

Loch'N'Load only costs 9.99, while not much better, misinformation upsets the masses and makes everyone rage.
  14. eternal

eternal New Member

Ah my mistake I thought it was 17.49 no that is the price of the hat.

9.99 is still severely over charging. I bought MNC for $15 I'm quite sure it took more effort to make than the Loch 'N Load (which is poorly balanced and has animation issues.)
  15. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Meh. It's worth however much an idiot will pay for it.
  16. eternal

eternal New Member

It is that kind of thinking that caused our stock market crash in the first place.

Selling crap to idiots does not make the crap worth more if the idiots buy it for more. The crap is still crap, you just got to over price it.

The value of something is not dictated by its price point. Just as its price point is not dictated by its value. Otherwise there would be no such thing as a scam, it would just be "business as usual"

Supply and demand are two parts of the same equation not two separate equations. If you have an infinite supply of something (virtual goods) the price SHOULD be significantly lower as the overhead cost is almost zero. So infinite supply with high demand should yield much better prices than having virtual in-game items cost as much if not more than the game itself.
  17. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Going to stop you right there.

18. eternal

eternal New Member

Yup, because banks started selling those credit default swaps to each other. Thus my use of that very statement.

The default swaps were literally poison, banks were attaching values to them, eventually the fell for their own traps and sold the very problems to each other. Thus the idea that something that is "valueless" does not have its actual value dictated by the price point attached to it.
  19. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

so... don't you two wish MNC had been in the valve arg? lol
  20. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

More people would have played, so I guess so. I wouldn't have cared.