I wish MNC Had been in the Valve ARG

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by eternal, April 20, 2011.

1. eternal

eternal New Member

The number of players of MNC would have dramatically increased.

Also thematically it would have been perfect to have a portal based Blitz level where you get to send bots to "Android hell" and GLADoS does the announcing.
  2. Coverop

Coverop New Member

No. I don't wanna anything from Valve in Monday Night Combat.
    They'll probably make a Shop just like in Team Fortress 2 or Portal 2.
    I say Big no to Valve right now.

I prefer UBER entertainment because they know how to make a fun with fun.
    And I hope Monday Night Combat will have a lot of good updates (like add new maps , new gear , new taunts).

I truly love this game , more than Team Fortress 2 right now.
  3. FunkyGoose

FunkyGoose New Member

This exactly

Also, if MNC was in the ARG, we would have gotten a massive increase of idlers and people serching for some random glymph or whatever in the game, not actually PLAYING :x
  4. eternal

eternal New Member

And a large number of players who'd never experienced the game before ending up liking it and continuing to play.

Also Valve didn't "put a store" in any of the other games in the ARG. -_-
  5. zenstar

zenstar New Member

I'm with you eternal. I got back to playing super meat boy because the ARG reminded me that I hadn't finished the last few levels (my poor thumbs :( ).
    But it didn't happen so no use crying over spilt milk.
  6. eternal

eternal New Member

You tried some of the DLC levels? Brutal. Still fun though. SMB was by far the best game in the pack. Amnesia and Bit Trip Beat probably tied for 2nd.
    Last edited: April 20, 2011
  7. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Because Valve can legally change whatever is in MNC without consent from UBER. Herp a Derpa.
  8. zenstar

zenstar New Member

I didn't buy the potato pack. I got SMB ages ago and just hadn't played it in a while.

I know people got all worked up about it but i thought the whole indie bundle / portal ARG was cool. I didn't get the bundle but I took part a little with SMB and hopefully some people out there found some awesome games they liked at cheap prices.

And I got to play Portal 2 slightly earlier :D All good in my books.
  9. eternal

eternal New Member

O I bought the pack, but I gifted all the games I already owned (like half of em.) I had SMB preordered the moment it could be bought lol. I owned Audiosurf/bittrip/amnesia/smb/defensegrid when I bought the pack. Pleasantly surprised by Rush, i never had any interest in that game but it is pretty fun. Killing Floor is a good time soak, better than Left 4 Dead's Survival mode but not as good as co-op or versus on l4d.

All 3 of the Dejobaan games were "Meh" at best. AAaaAaa was alright I could see that being kind of fun. But the wonderful end of the world was a pretty "meh" katamari clone (not BAD but really not good either. I'd rather just play Katamari.) and 1..2..3.. Kick it feels clunky and is an AWFUL lot like AaAaaaAAa but with noisier graphics and worse controls.

Toki Tori is good but kind of dull.

The ball is pretty fun, Cogs is a fun game too.

Either way I got all 36 potatoes and got the Valve Complete Pack as a gift :D (costs $100 + $50 for portal 2 which I also got from it.)
  10. killien

killien Active Member

Do you even know the changes done to the games in the ARG?
    Killing Floor got an extra level based on Aperture Labs(with a new trader), cash was turned into potatoes and additional achievements/etc were added
    The Ball got 7 extra levels along with the "Edgeless Artifact Cube"
    Just about every other game got silly additions and what not to add to the puzzles/etc of the ARG

Not a single game involved in the ARG was required to add a Shop like in TF2

The "Idling" being done in some games was to speed up the release of Portal2 and the way it was rigged, newer games filled their "quota" faster than the others
    Idling or not, more people means more people, especially if said idlers kept playing after the need to idle was over
  11. [Knovocaine]

[Knovocaine] New Member

Can someone explain why so many people are whining about the shop in Portal 2? Everything in it is purely cosmetic... I honestly don't see what is so bad about it. If you don't want to pay for it, just don't!!! It does not change your game experience having them.

Grow up :roll:
  12. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

PC gamers need something to whine about?

Console players flame each other, PC players whine constantly.
  13. salomdi

salomdi Active Member

so true. so, so true.
  14. Vlane

Vlane New Member

"We whine because of the dirty console gamers dumbing down our games."

Classic line.

The TF2 store is bad because you can buy equipment there. Everything else in it is fine. Whining about the store in Portal 2 is retarded.
  15. eternal

eternal New Member

Aparently you never visited the Gears of War forums, especially during Gears 2 first 6months. The whining there was just as bad as ANY pc title (sometimes worse since they tended to also do direct attacks on specific devs)
  16. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Every. Single. Thing. In. The. Mann. Co. Store. That. Affects. Gameplay. Is. Obtainable. Through. Normal. Gameplay. You. Don't. Need. To. Spend. ANY. MONEY.
  17. zenstar

zenstar New Member

In fact an argument could be made that it is friendlier to newcomers who don't need to grind 14 months to get a competative loadout as long as they're willing to spend $10.

But this begins an entirely new argument. Suffice it to say that the store is already there and unlikely to go away. There are pros and cons for it but overall as long as either A) it's all cosmetic or B) you can obtain everything that affects gameplay without money or C) A & B then it's not a detriment.

If you want to complain about anything in TF2 it's the hat trading where people stop playing so that they can discuss trading/ haggle while their team is getting slaughtered because their medic wants the new bling crown.
  18. Xalerwons

Xalerwons New Member

Freemium is ok if the consumers are told upfront, or converted from a p2p environment.

Turning a f2p game into freemium is not ok.

Yes, you can unlock every item in the game, eventually. It's also possible that you do not randomly get the one item you want for your class for the game's entire lifetime.

It is not, grind X hours, gain Y pseudo currency, purchase upgrade. It's grind X hours, gain a random Z item, and hope it is the item you are looking for.

Trading alleviates the RNG problem, but it's a shoddy fix that was introduced nearly a year and a half after the introduction of gameplay-affecting items.
  19. Vlane

Vlane New Member

A) That style of writing has long been known as "stupid". Stop it.
    B) The fact that they are obtainable through gameplay is why the store is bad. You are supposed to earn the equipment, not buy it.
    C) The argument "it's easier to pick up for new players" doesn't make much sense here because it does not take long to get the things you want (most achievements are really easy).
    Also they don't give you that much of an edge so new players have absolutely no chance.

If the store would sell purely cosmetic things I would have no problem with it.
  20. Skizzen

Skizzen New Member

I didn't take part in the ARG thing but man... I don't understand the hate.

You get to buy like 13 good games, a number of them many people would never have heard of otherwise at significantly reduced prices and then they gave you an incentive to kill your long weekend having fun with them whilst waiting on portal. People then decide VALVE IS MANIPULATIVE AND EVIL AND I HATE THEM SO MUCH. Do people even realise how much more genuinely underhanded stuff goes on in marketing? This was practically a childish, fun, parody of that.

Honestly, I don't like TF2 as much as I did when it came out, but it's still fun. I am critical of Valve frequently but stuff like this just looks like people are desperate for a reason to hate a group of guys who are really, really, really, really good at making video games.

People don't seem to understand that you don't have to hate things. You don't have to always have at least one thing you mark as a villain. you can actually just enjoy stuff for what it is and be pretty happy.

The stores more a of a symbol that people hate on than an actual real problem. If you just play the game and look at how insignificant it is when your getting shot in the face by a vanilla scout you might chill out a bit.