I thought the new patch would balance combat fabs

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, May 30, 2014.

1. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

It's worth noting that naval doesn't have a combat fabber.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

While I agree that losing the additional functionality would be a loss, could we introduce a different mechanic for the combat fabbers to use?
  3. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

We are exploring and looking at all options.
    ArchieBuld and igncom1 like this.
  4. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Neither do vehicles, orbital or air. They are bots only. ;)
    squishypon3 likes this.
  5. igncom1

Then good luck to you! Don't let us get you down!
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Too true, people aren't using them correctly, but I guess making them not able to assist would help prevent this... but I do personally like the fact they can assist buildings because it fits the WYSIWYG a

I really don't think they're as broken as people say, they're not THAT OP and you CAN beat a player without using them yourself if you've use the correct tactics. Your enemy just gets a pretty big buff when using them, but is that really a bad thing? It's a viable unit at least, and they're great at assisting armies too. But I'd like some differences between T1 and T2 please. ;)
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Yep, that's it. They are so efficient right now that you have no decisions to make; you just have to use them. If they became less efficient (but still better than fabbers) or more expensive, there would be some more decisions that need to be made. These two variables, cost and energy efficiency, are the real balance options available to the devs here.
    ArchieBuld and elodea like this.
  8. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Actually, the maximum efficiency is reached at 3 factories of the same type per 1 combat fabber :p. If you are spamming anymore cf's per factory, then you are actually not using them optimally.

I will agree it is unintuitive though.
  9. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

You can't start in vehicle-only, orbital-only, or air-only territory, but you can start in naval-only territory. :notwinking:

Yet another iteration of the "if you have a naval start, might as well quit while you're ahead" paradigm.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  10. squishypon3

Going anything only is silly, I definitely don't go bots only as they have pretty bad combat units. :p
  11. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

They're the first unit I build now :p I feel we've just about perfected the use of combat fabbers in the current build. For example, I know that it's best to have one assist 3 vehicle factories, not assisting bot factories unless they're making combat fabbers, and using 1 combat fabber to assist 2 air factories.

The solution to their current REQUIREMENT in games, OP-ness in base building, and the fact that you rarely see them healing units in combat, could be to make them BETTER AT COMBAT.

By that I mean doing things like giving them more HP and a smaller hitbox, so they don't instantly die when tickled by a grenadier (this could indirectly be done by reducing DPS of other units, or both methods), making them cheaper, so if you lose one in combat it's not the end of the world, and making them slightly less efficient so they don't outclass the standard fabricators by 999999%.

I would like to see them keep their role of "if you patrol one of these next to factories it gives them a buff", but not make it so extreme, so that you actually have the choice of using combat fabbers+factories, or just more factories.

Depends what factories and what units you're building! Air factories it's better to have two factories and one combat fabber usually!
    elodea likes this.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I think their range is good, and they probably don't need to heal that fast. If they were only 2x faster than regular fabbers, and everything else scaled with that including their metal cost, and their energy cost was exactly the same as a regular fabber...

...then it would be used as it currently is, as an assistant fabber and a repair fabber, but it wouldn't have even better stats than a t2 fabber, it would be more of a "t1-t2-transition" fabber at best, and not necesary considering you can transition without it.

Or reduce it's metal cost, keep it's repair speed and it's low energy usage, and then give it a second set of stats that just works for assistance. Like when it builds and assists it uses a left hand fabber gun and fabricates at a standard fabber's speed, and when it repairs it uses the right hand fabber gun that has longer range and faster fabrication and less energy usage.

Because two guns sounds cool as well, is why i say it.
  13. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

It seems as though people like the pace of the game that comes with using combat fabbers, i feel like we could just make factories work faster, make T1 energy better, and remove all that micro altogether.
  14. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Sigh...

OP does not mean powerful. The Krogoth was powerful. Was it OP? No, it was crap because it cost several timmies in metal and had glass armor.

OP means efficient to the point where you don't use an alternative if you want to win. Back to the TA example, flashes and peewees were both OP because you would almost never use a similar unit (stumpies and warriors) instead of them. Arm as a whole was OP because flashes were so much better than gators and thus unless on a map where raiding was easily defended against the core was doomed to die to flashes.

Back to the subject, disable them from assisting and decrease their cost a bit while increasing their HP. Nerf metal usage as needed.
    Schemya likes this.
  15. igncom1

Anything that is overpowered has more power, so in this instance, OP does mean powerful.
  16. squishypon3

OP means powerful but powerful doesn't always mean OP.
    igncom1 likes this.
  17. stuart98

Suppose you had a 12 metal unit that did 12 damage per second at 90 range with 40 HP and had a move speed of 20. Powerful? No. OP? Sure as heck yes! You'd spam these like no tomorrow because they're more efficient than anything else.
  18. igncom1

Yeah, im not going to bother fighting a mathematician, because every-time I do, they have orchestrated the numbers to reinforce their point with false information, even when they are wrong.

I can't argue against falsified evidence.
  19. stuart98

In other words, I have numbers that prove my point but it's still wrong despite you having nothing to back your words up...

:-|
  20. igncom1

Fabricating evidence proves nothing.

"OP means powerful but powerful doesn't always mean OP."

My point is that if something is overpowered, then it is powerful, even if it is as small as a bug.

Smaller stats like that cascade.