hummingbirds need to be fixed

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by killerkiwijuice, August 7, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

So the lesson is... you can get shafted in a FFA.
  2. phlogistinator

phlogistinator Active Member

15 mins is actually quite long in PA time.

By 2 - 3 mins, good players should be able to rush tier 2 vehicles or upwards of 30+ T1 vehicles, and by 10 mins, good ones should have colonised 1 or 2 other moons rather quickly.

True, by 15 mins one can build up a large army, but so can one build up a good defence if they choose to by then. If a player fails to build a decent counter to air-snipe due to not scouting, then it is technically his fault for not gathering intel to counteract the enemy. If a player knows that the enemy is building a large air force, but fails to build up defences, then ...

[​IMG]
    dat's his fault!!!!!!
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I don't think you understand the real issue and i don't want to explain again.

Give me 10 minutes and i'll have 300 air units.

Also, i don't think anyone would colonize 2 moons at the 10 minute mark unless the eco was modified. That sorta impossible. Obviously if you build only an orbital factory for rushing it might be possible, but then you have to influence on that planet.
  4. phlogistinator

phlogistinator Active Member

I will try that 10 mins and 300 air units tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Yes it is possible to colonise 2 moons before 10 mins. I normally build a space fab, set up portals on 2 worlds, then start sending stuff over, often to build mex first, then start factories.
  5. killerkiwijuice

if your definition of colonize is building a few factories, then the pilgrims that came to America colonized america by building a few tents.

It takes more than 10 minutes to colonize merely one planet, much more with 2
  6. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

When you said you haven't played PA in a while, it makes this statement understandable.

The procedure described to colonize the planet is literally what everyone does. And by simply building tow factories and pumping out units that patrol planet, you've effectively locked the planet down so that it has to be sieged in order to be taken. This process takes about the time it takes to build two factories and set up the pathing. No further attention is needed unless something actually comes onto the planet. So you'll EASILY find 10+ minutes to effectively colonize it. Where on the planet under contest you'll find 5 minutes, let alone 10, I have no clue. You shouldn't ever be out of contact with your opponent for more than a minute- and if you do expect to be overrun without an army.
  7. killerkiwijuice

please, i could build a teleporter after your 'colonization' and ruin your day easily with just as many units. I'll even throw in some fabbers to build my own base there.

Maybe i'll chose to micro them so i get the planet to myself.

Or perhaps i'll turtle so hard that a manage to build just enough bombers and hummingbirds to get through your base and snipe the comm.

And i was away for only a week at the beach.
  8. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Um, no, that doesn't exactly work because the units would have shut down the teleporter before units got through. Now if you created a no movement zone with anchors first, sure the teleporter would work, but that's still requires more of a siege effort.
  9. killerkiwijuice

Oh, because you would have so many units after 10 minutes on your 'colonized planet' that my teleporter would be destroyed. I could even use the orbital fab to repair the teleporter if it gets damaged.
  10. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

....yes?

Dude how much do you actually PLAY?
  11. killerkiwijuice

what? Now i'm really confused.

I have over 600 hours in o_O
  12. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

You should be. You're telling me somehow a teleporter will survive being built and repaired when there are 150+ fighters and bombers on said colonized planet. Your numbers.
  13. killerkiwijuice

And your going to build that many units on another planet in 10 minutes.

[​IMG]
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I could see 60, if you really went for it.

And even then, this doesn't account for time spend scouting, that you would need to even find the teleporter.
  15. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

......so explain how YOU're able to build that many units and another player isn't? Because I'm starting to be unable to take you seriously at this point.

tl;dr Build an anchor first, then teleporter, otherwise teleporter gets rekt.
  16. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

The factories are set to patrol planet. How would they not find it all on their own?
  17. killerkiwijuice

Lol are you kidding me.

10 minutes: you're lucky to even land on another moon and build a few factories.

12 minutes: you should have scouts patrolling the planet

15 minutes you should have t2

How the hell would you get enough units, if you even find the teleporter, to destroy the tele especially when the orbital fab is repairing it?

How experienced are you?
  18. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I'm talking about arriving on a planet 10 minutes before another player. I think I see where you got confused what I was arguing...
  19. killerkiwijuice

This. We were talking like that all along.

20. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Uhm what?

At the 10 minute mark, you should already have the first batch of T2 mexes/pgens up and running. 15 minutes until first T2 unit is way to slow with the current balancing.

Besides, setting a few scouts to patrol the planet, and all bombers to attack planet wide (with different idle points for each air factory!) works actually quite well. Sure, you can't destroy the portal before it gets activated. But you can still destroy it.

300 bombers are more than enough to one-hit a portal, when synchronized properly even 50 might be sufficient. No matter how many units are repairing the portal, if more than 100% of the units health worth in damage are dealt in 1/10th of a second (one simulation tick), then the unit is destroyed, no matter what. Simply because all the damage is dealt in batch and the unit is destroyed before the healing gets applied.