How would you feel about a second PA kickstarter?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, October 21, 2014.

?

whould you back and extension PA, addon Pack, or prolongation?

1. Hell yeah!

63.0%
  2. **** no!

37.0%
  1. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/mod-for-pa.65419/

Thoughts on the above from the HR forums which I will copy below in case it gets closed.

To me it seems you would have the backing if this was reworked as a major mod or Add-On to PA and if certain elements were rethought. It would also be much easier to develop and would 'finish' PA in so far as people think it is incomplete.

The entire concept would need a major reworking mind you.

The visuals would be a setting (an option).
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Haha, I prefer the whole specialization thing. Units having a specific role. I believe the Aeon units fit into this ideology the most and I think that was their "thing", right? Ah well, Aeon was my favorite faction.

Heck they had that t3 shield buster that did barely anything to normal units. That's specialized. :D
    archcommander likes this.
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

While i would like to hop on the train again, i think there are 2 reasons why uber shouldnt do it 1) its WAY bad press, "They are asking more money for a broken game? that they already got over 2 mil for? nonsense!" and 2) we can already support uber in our own way by buying commanders from the armoury, so whats the point of a kickstarter?
    elkanfirst likes this.
  4. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Look at final fantasy 14 when it first came out, it was a mess, had terrible reviews and so on. But the devs didnt give up they improved on everything and re-released it as version 2.0 and it got game of the year and an average score of 9/10. I have faith in pa that it can be something great and giving uber more money and a chance is fine with me.

The rts gene needs a company like this.
    maxcomander and fouquet like this.
  5. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.
  6. shotforce13

I meant in general as rts games and the companys that make them are drying up.
  7. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

I am sorry, that one was just to tasty to pass up. Of course you are right, though, this genre really could do with some more serious commitment. Especially after End of Nations went from interesting to crap to DotA-style crap to cancelled and Generals 2 skipping straight to cancelled.
    MrTBSC and shotforce13 like this.
  8. shotforce13

No worries, its just a shame.
  9. shotforce13

DO IT UBER!!! Ill give u $350 usd tonight if a couple things are in the new kickstarter.

1: @neutrino crunchs for another year.

2: dox get laser projectiles.

3: T1 tank gets changed back to Ant.

:D:p
  10. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I would probably throw some really retarded amount of money at PA extension pack. Make the extension come with full map editor, importers and exporters. And event triggers so we can make a single player story style campaign.
    Raevn likes this.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yeah as soon as I read "I prefer the whole specialization thing" that's what I prepared as a counter argument but you counter argumented yourself :p
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

same.
  13. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Double Fine did this for Broken Age. They ran out of money, decided to release Act 1 of the game and use sales to raise money for Act 2. It worked out well for them I think. They simple underestimated the cost to produce the g ame they wanted.

If Uber openly and honestly said "We want to 'finish' PA, see out our vision, but we need more money to allocate dev and artist time to it", I'd back it. Be it an add-on, expansion pack, or just a simple "we're not done yet but need more money", I'd back it. Of course, this is dependent on the state of the game at the time of the pitch.

Right now I think a highly optimised server, and custom/dedicated server at that, is top of my personal list of things I want. After that, general focus on competitive play and eSports (improved spectator UI, balanced maps, symmetrical maps, custom maps, a LOT of optimisation, and perhaps some kind of Uber sponsored eSport event to really promote PA. Similar to what Valve do with the International, for DOTA, but obviously not on that level. If only Uber had Valve's billions of dollars!).

So yeah. As long as it was open and honest and in good faith, and Uber admit their mistakes and address them, I'd be all for it. Frankly, I am hugely impressed with Uber, Planetary Annihilation, and this entire experience of kickstarting this game. It's been a blast, and I am loving the game. I'm recently playing a lot of 2v2 games with a friend of mine, which has really opened up the game a bit for me because previously I was heavily into 1v1 games, which need balance right now.

2v2 games let you play with orbital etc, which is perhaps PA's most unique and strongest gameplay aspect right now.
    Zaphys likes this.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

That's why I loved Aeon! :D

It's the faction with the best specialization compared to the others, sure it wasn't exact, but it was sure better than the others. c:
  15. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

Sigh... now I have to go play some FA tonight.. it's all your fault.
    vyolin, tatsujb and squishypon3 like this.
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Down the line? This might work.

In the next month or two? Would kill the game.

The ONLY way this would work is if the new KS campaign were for a HUGE expansion and ALL of the KS promises were fulfilled, and then some new features tossed in on top.

None of this "We think we've fulfilled PA's vision" without having even given us offline, matchmaking, saves, server, or good balance.
    GoodOak, wilhelmvx and cmdandy like this.
  17. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

I am of two minds.

On one hand, I would be more than willing to pay for adding content, features, and polish for PA.

On the other, I am not sure I would be pleased with the message it would be sending.

I guess it would depend on Uber's situation. If what we have here is a studio that wants to work more on PA but is unable to for financial reasons, and needs more money to justify it? If they were honest about it and just said, right out, "guys, we need more money to develop X, Y, and Z" then I would be OK with that. More money for more development sounds like a winning proposition to me.

But if this is additional funding needed just to meet the initial goals of the Kickstarter? I would probably still pay, but I wouldn't be terribly enthused by doing so. It smells of stringing along purchasers.

I think the long and the short of it is that PA is already looking very promising, and much like recurring series or subscription-based games, great games with longevity often do command a higher price from customers than a single purchase price. That is totally acceptable, as long as the game is deserving of its higher price.

And based on the amount of game we got for the initial Kickstarter, a second cash infusion of possibly the same size that doesn't need to build out the engine from scratch is likely to be a huge amount of content. I could definitely support that.

Uber should quote us a number if they think they need more money. It's likely we can make that number happen.
    Last edited: October 22, 2014
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  18. TerrorScout

TerrorScout Member

How can there not be good balance all sides are the same. But the rest I agree with.
  19. TerrorScout

TerrorScout Member

Fully agree.
  20. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Just because all sides are the same doesn't mean that balance is good.

To take it to an extreme to make a point, let's say the Dox has 3,000 dps and a speed of 50. Just because everyone has the same Dox doesn't mean that it is balanced.
    wilhelmvx and vyolin like this.