How to Make Gas Giants More Awesome

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, September 6, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Yep the Jigs themselves are pretty damn cool.
  2. Alphasite

Alphasite Active Member

Actually, this thread has made me realise one very important thing is missing from the planets in PA, a shell overlay or when you're zoomed out. The clouds, the atmosphere colour, the atmospheric scattering (I dont really expect full spectral scattering, but something would be nice) and just some sort of life, to show planets in the background as alive. If you're not looking right at them, they're a little dead at the minute. Although, as it was said, Gas giants are the best for this, I jus think they need to 'pop' a little more, as at the minute their lighting is (imo) too subdued. That said, I do actually like the art style of this game on the whole.

A more realistic take on planets from Elite:
    [​IMG]

And a more cartooney take from spore:
    [​IMG]

For all its flaws, that game had amazing art direction.

I think the spore approach is a better fit, but it is a little cutesy for PA, and a hybrid between the two would like the nicest.
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

The planets in PA don't have atmospheres. They have blue/grey filters with very defined edges.
  4. Alphasite

Alphasite Active Member

I know, thats my issue. I understand why when you're focused on a planet, that you want to minimise distractions, but planets podding around in the BG should have a little something.