How to invade a planet?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Tormidal, March 4, 2014.

1. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Was playing a game against five AI, got attacked as I got my Astraeus up, and moved to the moon, and essentially got blocked off from the main planet because they had hundreds of orbital fighters and defense cannons......

What do?
  2. xenith881

xenith881 New Member

Nuclear winter. Or if the moon is small enough, launch in into the main planet. (You can nuke other planetary bodies as long as they are within the same orbit)

An example is a moon of a planet may launch nukes into the main planet, or another moon or planetary body orbiting the same planet. This concept does NOT apply to orbiting the sun.

And this is why I do not like when I join games and find out out that all seven planets are 600-1200 in size... really guys? Is that even necessary?

Anyway, enough said. Moving along.
  3. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Send in an advanced radar and some SXX lasers surrounded by anchors where you think the enemy commander is, or nuke it a lot. Or try to set up a teleporter somewhere and send through some T2 fabbers first thing to put up flak, then start the invasion from there.
  4. thealnor

thealnor New Member

Well if the moon is orbiting the planet they are on you could try building a few nukes.

Either that or send a bunch of anchors to their planet accompanied by some orbital fabbers to build a teleporter... But then you would need an army already established to go through the teleporter.

And it all depends on how big the moon actually is, and how many metal spots are on the moon...
  5. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Invasions are a pain in the ***.

The best solution really is make the system with at least one tiny planet to smash with. A good number I find is 1 per number of larger planet

If that isn't an option the above suggestions are probably your best bet
  6. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Good question. We asked Scathis during the last Live Stream (several times) and he simply refused to acknowledge the question :D
  7. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

I call it the NPS "nuke port strategy" nuke one area until 2 nukes hit. Than sent Orbital Fabbers to build a Stargate and send as many units as possible ;)
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Nukes and laser satellites are your best friend.

Sending over a ton of nukes are a great way to destroy a Commander.

Using Anchors to guard Laser Defense sats works as well.

We'll have have more ways in the future.
  9. karolus10

karolus10 Member

Also I can suggest using Astreus to shield your commander on surface from orbital canons threat - air units cannot be hit from orbit.

orbital cannons are insanely efficient (if you manage to build few of them as orbital fabricators are bugged and often refuse construction) at sniping commanders if you are able to pinpoint commander exact location as you can warp-in over enemy commander and one shot it with couple of orbital guns before any defenses are able to react.

This tactic could be blocked if you will not be able to warp over enemy commander in some small radius (they would be pushed from small circle over commander), so orbital guns would require few seconds to reach commander after warping over him.
    Last edited: March 4, 2014
  10. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Personally. If the planet is in a different orbit then the one you are on. Build 5 orbital fabbers or 10 and launch them all at the same time. Move anchors with them to hold off the initial wave. Then speed build a tele and begin streaming out T1 Anti air with your T2 fabbers. Put walls and laser def if they have ground units. And then continute to stream out until you have a useful beach head. The only flaw in this is that a nuke can easily cripple that teleporter. I have not had this happen to me though so its hard to say that someone will be prepared.

Laser satellites are super effective at eliminating ground troops and buildings. Building a small armada of those can help clear an enemy base of essential structures. that helps with the invasion.

The critical thing to remember is that timing is important when you send your orbital attack wave since they all move at different rates.

Don't be one dimensional and try new things. I'm sure there are other ways to invade. multiple teleporters... whatever..
  11. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

heh. i'm reminded of a game playing the AI where the AI comm hopped to the moon and locked it down, surprisingly well. he spammed so many avengers I couldn't get anything into orbit. even a wave of 35 of my own avengers, arriving simultaneously, were dealt with. :eek:

Nuke time!

20 minutes went by where we traded nukes back and forth. It was really fun at first, then started to get old, but I kept going systematically and FINALLY hit his comm and won. Wasn't the most satisfying win from a strategic standpoint, but I had a good time nonetheless.
  12. unimatrx

unimatrx New Member

Or drop a handfull of vanguards on top of a commander, using astraeus
  13. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Use anchors. 1 anchor can singlehandedly take on quite a pile of Avengers. The only thing that really beats Anchors are other Anchors (or umbrellas, eventually) but they're slow so you'll have some time. Anchors are built by the orbital fabricators.

That should give you a chance to bring in lasers or fabricators to build a teleporter.

If your opponent has already spammed bombers and gunships all over, you'll probably never get to actually invade, but at least you can clear him out from space.

You know, we should probably be able to order anchors to "land". Maybe they can't take off again but they can land and turn into effective AA platforms.
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  14. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Does that work now? Used to be the Astraeus could only transport commanders and fabricators, not tanks. I know the T2 transport can pick up tanks; can the Astraeus do that now too?

Although I did win once by bringing in 25 Astraeuses, each loaded with a T2 fabricator, and I dropped them all next to his commander and reclaimed him to death.

That was before the ubercannon was awesome, though.
  15. karolus10

karolus10 Member

I very like idea of crash-landing (and squishing regular units under them) anchors to make makeshift turrets (both AA and ground), although they should suffer 50-60% health loss on impact to not make them very robust.

Also I think that this mechanic could be used for orbital teleporters, variant of teleportation gate built on orbit and then it could be dropped on surface, ramps on each side of gate would be folded making some kind of clam-shell and they would unfold after gate slam into the ground.
    Last edited: March 4, 2014
  16. unimatrx

unimatrx New Member

yes they can, and currently when you send them to another planet using the unload command the tanks appear on the ground before the astraeus can be shot down
  17. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Unfortunately, if the adversary is a bit savvy and has enough T2 air and/or few nukes, there is no way to hand down a Teleporter. And when you control a planet, you get plenty of resources to accomplish what so ever you want.

The other night I literally spammed my whole planet with Anti-Nukes, which gave me total immunity against Nukes' harassment, of any sort.

So not even Nukes can make you land on the planet you want to invade, or win.

There will be other ways to invade planets, but so far the only answers that I got from Uber regarding the topic are:

1. The Unit Cannon is on the way, but it may not see the light before release - fair enough.

2. Why would you ever invade a planet when you can smash it with an asteroid? - fair enough as well, but also a bit disappointing.

Of course the game is in development, so let's see what Uber will do about. Also, in future will be able to mod this aspect of the game.

But so far, Planetary Invasions are a bit of a dead end.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

nukes - antinukes
    killersatelites - umbrellas avengers and anchors
    if your enemy has enough of those the last and only thing you can currently do is rock him ...
  19. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Or send in a ton of avengers and hope for the best.
    But then again asteroid is more fun.
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

<<<< wants d-day/ starshiptrooperstyle invasions ...