How to fix the Steam price concerns?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Causeless, June 13, 2013.

?

How should the pricing for PA alpha be done?

1. Same as it is now, 90$ for early access

148 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. Lower alpha price on Steam, taking away exclusive commanders

31 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Lower alpha price on Ubernet and Steam

10 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. acetylene7

acetylene7 Member

I think PA on steam should be switched to a $40 pre-order, convert steam alpha testers to Ubernet and be done with this.
  2. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Just that. Do away with early access on Steam, make it preoder only. If someone wants early access, make them buy the upgrade on Ubernets own store or sell it as DLC / account upgrade.
  3. Joefesok

Joefesok Member

Lowering the price at all will piss off one party or the other. Honestly we can just wait for steam to stop whingeing.
  4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Lowering the prices is not an option.

Issue is, that Uber hasn't put up preorder for the final game together with early access, so many fools didn't read and just thought, that 90$ would be retail price.

They really need to do that, as soon as possible.
  5. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Maybe they need pop up pictures and coloring areas on the steam page? I seriously DO NOT GET how people can't know WHAT this game in alpha means. Hell, even the video says gameplay VISUALIZATION on it.

It hurts my brain trying to imagine how stupid people are right now.
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Valve will not let us put up pre-orders for an early access game. I begged them to do that and they refused.

Anyway can this forum be the sanctuary from the "OMG THE GAME IS SOOO EXPENSIVE" threads?
  7. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

So much +1.
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

The modding forum is full of "Business as usual, lets poke at file formats and build our own exporters."

I don't do modelling, but I'm seriously jelly of those guys right now.
  9. Consili

Consili Member

I wondered earlier why there wasn't the capacity to chose between multiple tiers the way you have it laid out on the Uber Ent store. That is really unfortunate, I am sorry to hear that :c

It is sad to see the steam community blow up like they have and I know you game dev's have to have thick skins but it cant be pleasant. I'm glad the ragers didn't spill out onto this forum en mass.

I just want to express that you have the support of my friends, my brother and I, as well as the whole backer community : )
  10. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Is it possible to convert the game into a normal game and do a preorder from there, or is that option only open to the really high profile companies?
  11. Kraqen

Kraqen New Member

I'm hopeless voting to get a Lower prices now we're on Alpha. Guys, the kickstarter has ended. The game is in development. Why we have to keep going with this high price?

I mean, no one have ever do something like this. If you buy a game in a early stage, you usally get a discount or have a similar price that the guys who buy it in the release. You DON'T double the freaking price.

People are only seeing that they will get a inferior and unfinished product, and in reward of their early support they will get a high price increase.
  12. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Because they are being fair towards all the people who pledged or put $90 or above in the pre-orders and the kickstarter by keeping the same price throughout.

What people don't seem to realise is that alpha is a privilege, not a right. They could have not even released the alpha at all. In fact, they were never going to put the game on early access for alpha but the community wanted it. So they did.

Look at it this way. If you had payed $90 for the game to exist, and someone who came later gets the reward at a cheaper level SIMPLY because they waited, would you feel angry?
  13. heyhellowhatsnew

heyhellowhatsnew New Member

My god this forum is full of fanboys. Ubernet you have no hope for constructive criticism.

I warned you ahead of time that this would happen when you put the price on Steam. Did you really think this game wouldn't get backlash or negativity from consumers? Just wait till the games media starts to pick up on this backlash.

Look, I understand the excuse is "This is what it was on our kickstarter so welp *shrug*", but thats as callous and as dumb as the Microsoft VP saying this week that "We do have a non-online gamiing option, it's called xbox 360".

That's how you put nails in your coffin.

MNC wasn't that successful, neither was SMNC. You have a chance for this game to be successful, but you have to drown out these fanboys here (and to be honest, to pay 90+ or more you either have to be crazy or a fanboy, i'm crazy), and start listening to people who aren't just yes-men.

This poll should tell you that you're in trouble when it comes to feedback on the game. They are blind.

This backlash will continue and will get worse. Either email a competent marketing person to spin this into something possible or get together and seriously talk about it, because your current "Deal with it" response will only doom you and your company in the future.

And... cue fanboy response.
  14. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Can we let this thread die please?

There are enough of those in the general forum and there's no need for it exist in the backers forum.
  15. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

I personally wish they would do some damage control but they don't seem to mind.
    You are quite right. This will only be harmful towards the game's appearance.
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

All in all, this is sadly short sighted. Yes, the Kickstarter was successful, very much so in fact, but why limit ourselves to just what we achieved during the Kickstarter? There is so much more that can be done, More Songs to record, more commanders and biomes to make, servers to set up, why settle?

Not to mentions that games are more and more becoming very organic these days, no longer do you release the game, do a few patches and wait for the expansion. Uber has already said what they have gotten from Pre-Orders, Upgrades and Early Access purchases is cycled back in the game, making for a better game.

Keeping things in-line with the Kickstarter/Pre-order packages is really just playing fair, as the Early Access is basically the Galactic Edition, which certainly comes with more that JUST early Access, and I'd bet my pledge that if the Early Access was cheaper, but for JUST early access you'd still have people making a stink about how they can't get the full packages via Steam, which is the reason it's on Steam to even begin with. Uber would much rather they get it directly from them as that is where they see the most 'profit', but people asked, and Uber Delivered.

They sorta already did, several Sites posted small articles about how PA is not in Alpha/Available on Steam Early Access, and from what I've seen, they have all been supportive of Uber's Decisions.

Mike
  17. lordmd

lordmd Member

They don't need to be successful. It's a Kickstarter game funded by the backers. Either it will be successful... then they can make more money

or...

it won't be successful and they just lost the backed money and nothing more. It's not like they are losing billions of their own money.

Also: I'm sure MNC and SMNC were successful

at least compared to Savage 2 :mrgreen: (every game is successful compared to this... only being played by about 100 people anymore).
  18. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

While I agree it's 'fair' to keep the price as is, I honestly wouldn't mind seeing the price going down if just to keep the PR in check. This is coming from someone who contributed fairly substantially.

Nobody here 'pre ordered' the game, they merely backed to see the chance of PA coming to fruition.

There were no guarantees.

I'd see happy people playing PA, and more of them over anything else.

Maybe there should be multiple packs put up?

Alpha / Beta / Game with REALLY CLEAR dates attached?

Maybe they should just put it up $20 and sell **** loads of copies and put the price up to $40 when finished?
  19. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

They wanted to do that, steam didn't allow it.
  20. Consili

Consili Member

I don't necessarily want to get into a debate about the topic specifically, but I did want to say that it is a bit uncalled for to open up by insulting the users here at the same time as waving an "I told you so" flag at the developers. If you want a considered and reasonable debate then that is not the way to go about it, it just gets people's back up and winds things up unnecessarily.

I for one am happy enough to talk about things, debate things and consider things that I may or may not agree with (I'm required to do that daily to be any good at what I do). I'm sure many others on these forums are, we certainly aren't all yes men and blind fanboys as you say. But people are far less likely to even consider what you are saying if you begin with insulting people.