How to change username?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lukebombardieri, July 22, 2013.

1. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

We're unable to change usernames, but there is a way to display your name in capital letters! :)
    If you go to 'My Account' and change your Display name and modify it with capital letters (the name itself must remain the same,) it will display with the capital letters.
    mjshorty likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that explains why bulletmagnet was able to do it and not us. hope for that solution.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Oh. Well that's just confusing. ;P

Does explain why it works for me.
  4. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

I had the same problem as many others expressed here. After communicating with support for a few rounds about it, and suggesting a technical fix, since I was certain that other folks would have the same problem too (now confirmed), we ended up with the palatable workaround of:

Once you are certain what you'd like your in-game [display] name to be... register another ubernet account with that name (and a secondary email address) and use that secondary account for your forum activity. And obviously use your initial account for your game downloads and playing the game.

There is an important caveat, which is that for the Kickstarter folks you won't also have access to the backers forum, and there may be other similar quirks. For example when submitting bugs, I also need to use the primary/game account, not my "icedrop" account.
  5. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

I can be "iceDrop" here instead of "icedrop"? Sweet! Will make that change in a bit.
  6. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Yes, I thought to open an other account.

But being myself a web designer and developer I'm pretty confident that adding the option to pick up your Display Name differently from you your Username is quite trivial. So I'm confident they will find a proper solution soon.
    iron420 likes this.
  7. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

I wish you luck on that, but would also caution that I think your optimism may be misplaced. It was months ago now that I brought it up and pointed it out to support. And from the reasons they listed plus the appropriately apologetic but unwavering tone, I got the distinct impression that the right person or group to: understand the issue, be swayed to see our point of view, agree with it, and also have the authority to make the change or convince someone with the authority to make the change... just wasn't likely to exist.

Then realizing how trivial the workaround is, especially versus how I'd prefer overall that the team at Uber focus attention on gameplay and game related launch issues vs administrivia... I just went ahead and created the second account.
  8. carlorizzante

How do I change my username in game, into Planetary Annihilation? Is it the same setting page:
    store.uberent.com/Account/MyAccount ?
  9. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

Yup, that's it.
    Ignore the purchase history, but look at the lighter grey sidebar off to the right. For USER INFO you should see both a 'username' and a 'display name'. The username is uneditable, but the display name can be edited. You'll need to log out and back in to the game, if you happened to be logged in to the game when you make a display name change.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

+1, just added my clantag. Wooo! Lol.
    I hope they implement something where they can "submit" a name change request once a month, and it will process when it goes through some checks. A lot of work I know, either to automate or do manually, but would be nice. In the case that once a month is too often (because some people will just because they can), make it once every 3 or 6 months.
  11. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I would just like to point out that my display name keeps alternating between stormingkiwi and StormingKiwi completely at whim.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

You use steam too. Is steam a different name as well?

I NEVER use steam, so changing my clan tag VIA Steam would never help me overall.
  13. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Yes.

Hmph...maybe it does change every time I log into steam.
  14. carlorizzante

I purchased via Steam, therefore aside complaining about the price (kidding - never done) I cannot change my Public Name. I have to do it via Steam, and it affects only the game (it is visible in Planetary Annihilation). It doesn't affect this forum.

Therefore, tonight I change my Warrior Name in Rocket Boy, and then I went online and smashed 2 Moons and 1 more planet in a single match 5xFreeForAll. Needless to say, I was the unique survivor. So, watch out ;)
  15. hotrock

hotrock New Member

This is still a problem, in the Friend list the list of players shows the account name more often than it shows the display name, despite the change.

When started from Steam your player name is still different, the issue with the friend list remains.

upload_2014-9-6_9-2-3.png

This makes is hard for people to friend you as the player name in the list is not the person they assume they played with.
  16. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Try to change it directly in the game, in your status drop down in the friend menu.
  17. hotrock

hotrock New Member

Tested, issue still remains; Name changes back as soon as I enter the MP lobby and exit.
  18. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

This is actually a quite frustrating at the moment. You have to remember 2 names for everyone, because it goes back and forth between what you want and your account username.
  19. enhoe007

enhoe007 New Member

Guys, any news on that? Still not possible to change it?
  20. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Now you just need to click on the little man icon in the bottom right of the main screen. Next to your name is a drop-down, you can choose to change your name from there.