How many factions are there?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Shireknight, April 28, 2013.

1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

All of the Commanders in Planetary Annihilation have their own ideals.

You're not losing any of the "Each Faction has a Reason" element. You're just losing the extraneous and time consuming process of learning 2 or more races units (even if they are mostly carbon-copies of your own units)

You've lost nothing except having to memorise the differences between each races units.
    An acceptable loss.
  2. veta

veta Active Member

i think someone said it before, why bother with different factions unless they're going to be completely different like starcraft's?

going with the blizzard example, warcraft3 had 4 factions and it was considered a failure in terms of faction diversity by many

that isn't to say things like perks and faction nuance don't have their place.

pa's got the right approach for right now
  3. deathcoy

deathcoy New Member

Well, factions doesn't necessarily mean a completely new unit set.

If players really feel factions are absolutely necessary, Uber can follow what Dune 2 and Dune 2000 did.

All 3 factions have the same set of units except for their top tier tanks(Deviator, Sonic Tank, Devastator) and special units(Fremen, Saboteur, Death Hand/Sardaukar) which are faction specific and unique. Also their main mass produced tank(tier 2) units and raider(tier 1) units have differing stats(Speed, HP, Armor, Dmg) and design to signify faction preferences, their purpose, deployment tactic all remains the same. Most 2D old timer games adopt this format and personally i do enjoy it.

So with the above, maybe PA can make experimentals to be faction specific, a tier 1 faction unique, a tier 2 faction unique, faction insignia and stuff, they might be able to afford the time/manpower/budget.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

There are no Experimentals. That is a fundamental gameplay decision.
    There are no T1 or T2 variations. That is a fundamental gameplay decision.

Budget factors into it, but Neutrino actually seems to dislike diversity between factions when it comes to tech.
  5. veta

veta Active Member

old style perks are something i too am fond of, i.e. identical factions with a % more or less hp, dps and speed

it sounds like it could be a fun mod

GPG made a good attempt at faction diversity in supcom but for me it ultimately felt more like nuance. FA is still a great game though.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Why use a weaker tank?

If those commies can build em big, so can we!