How long a match will take?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kalherine, July 30, 2013.

1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You obviously have very little faith in Uber's intentions then if you're even slightly worried about that outcome.
  2. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Which is a very reasonable perspective. Why couldn't you have said that in the first place?
  3. nanolathe

Because saying what you mean doesn't get you nearly as many quotable pithy statements
    ;)
  4. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

I think there was a poll about the expected length of matches. Someone could dredge it up or create a new one which is relevant to the current forum population.

I think 1v1 matches should take about 30 minutes but they need to start a bit earlier than they currently do and did in FA. There are many minutes of walking around and constructing stuff during which you have no interaction with your opponent. There is no multiplayer without interaction so I think the initial phase should be over as fast as possible.
  5. nanolathe

and for that, we must wait for the 'EGG' to be detailed.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Considering the first thing you build in FA is a factory I never experienced what you describe. If anything compared to a game like Starcraft where it's several minutes before you even build a factory type and even longer before and kind of serious combat.

Mike
  7. nanolathe

However, in Starcraft you don't have a map that even approaches what the "standard" size of map was in FA.

And PA is going to blow that size out to even greater proportions.
  8. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Aren't the best battles over planets done with asteroids? I kinda fail to see how units could win over planets in a more exciting way than asteroids.

You'd need 20 years to win a planet with units, theoretically its extremely easy to see 300 enemy units incoming from space onto your planet so how do you expect to land and conquer the enemy planet without using asteroids to blow his base up? Getting rid of an asteroid powered by thrusters is much more difficult than hitting a spaceship with a massive amount of units.

I expect asteroids to be a thing used in almost every multi-planet match. No point of planetary annihilation without them.
  9. superouman

superouman Post Master General

A week long 20 v 20 clan war please.

I know i already wrote that several times but i can't lower my excitation about this.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

dw, neither can Mavor.
  11. filariuss

filariuss New Member

Just got few minutes battle

2x2x2 and pretty small planet size so
    2 and 2 had battle of commanders, and then one team was annihilated,
    nuke from death of last commander killed commander of another team,
    and nuke from death of that commander killed second commander...

So we win :)
  12. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

I would hope that the length of a match is extremely variable in the final product. I mean, I would assume this is the plan -- I would be shocked if it wasn't.

Say, for instance, you have a small moon map. Extremely simple, fast, over-in-less-than-15-minutes match right there.

Now imagine a 20 v 20 over an entire solar system (imagine with 5 "planets", 4 gas giants, and an asteroid belt, as well as asteroids orbiting some of the gas giants as gas giant rings). I guarantee that's a match that will last at least a few hours.

As Uber has said, the intent is to create a platform where you can create it yourself. If you want a starcraft-size map, then whatever, you can make it. Aforementioned 20v20, it's possible too. And of course anything inbetween.
  13. filariuss

filariuss New Member

This makes me think about endless MMO battle
  14. nanolathe

It won't be endless... Just take a long time.
  15. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Iff we talk about Acu wars(Commanders rush )then will be really short,but fun .