How important are walls to you?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jpinard, August 22, 2014.

1. jpinard

jpinard Member

Can you explain this in English? I know none of the shorthand words you write with.
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Haha yeah my bad. Posted in a rush and I'm terrible at explaining stuff. Will try explain better:

If you have 5 dox and a fabber and he has 3 dox. It is possible for the 3 dox to snipe the fabber before they die. ie force attack the fabber. So if you have the fabber make. Wall between himself and the enemy dox he will be safe.

If the enemy is north and you south and there is a metal field in the middle walls are good way to defend this metal. It's pretty easy for him to gather a blob of units and steamroll this area. The walls give you more time to react and a big meat shield soaking damage from his dox in a team fight.
  3. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

I would also like to see a couple of changes with the walls. Sometimes low-arch shots may be fired above the walls, this should not be possible.

Also make walls "connect" to each other whenever they are close enough to each other, by creating a smaller wall between the walls. If shots hit these smaller walls the walls they are connecting will share the damage taken. This will prevent shots from being fired between the walls.

Lastly, if you select a group of fabbers to build a wall, maybe add an option to spread them out, because right now the walls can be built so quickly that not every worker may have time to reach or to even plow a way into range of constructing walls.
  4. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Yes, I use them all the time.

An army behind a wall has a big advantage.

Walls can help funnel the enemy into bottlenecks, particularly if you use them in combination with the CSG terrain. At the end of the bottleneck you have Infernos/Vanguards. I think I have shots somewhere of this working well against a Doxen deathball.

Walls are also very useful if you need to play defensively.

I hope that we eventually get a bigger, more expensive, stronger T2 Wall that we can place buildings (i.e. Towers) and units on for a slight Range/Sight boost.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

i said that for the lulz ;)
    elodea likes this.
  6. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Uber might experiment with the idea of a "tank trap" type structure in the same vein as the current wall.

Tank traps aren't used as a solid line, but rather are spaced out across a field and make that region impassable to larger units that cannot fit between them.

Dragon's teeth (the real ones) are actually tank traps, not walls. In PA, bots might be able to fit between spaced-apart dragon's teeth, while bigger vehicles must go around the field of tank traps.

Instead of dragging a solid line of walls, players would drag a rectangle (or other shape) of tank traps, which would not be a solid fill. Actually, the existing wall would work perfectly well for this purpose, but it might be visually unclear and perhaps a more tank trap-looking shape would be better.
  7. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

I use them, to enforce or create choke points.
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

This is the most advanced usage of walls I've ever heard of. You competitive types are nerds! :p
    Clopse and vackillers like this.
  9. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Walls are important to me because it gives me something to solidify my base. It also gives you a sense that you actually have a base instead of randomly placing buildings everywhere to the point it just looks like a big old mess with no structure to anything, gives a central point to your base as well as defensive abilities. Dunno how anyone can NOT like walls to be honest unless your rushing which only competitor MP matches do.
  10. davidwmiller

davidwmiller New Member

That's something I would like to see as a build option in general. If you have a group of fabbers selected, an option to have them all build together, or automatically divide queued tasks up between them.

Walls are the use case where it's nearly essential, given how quick they build, but there's plenty of situations where you'd rather have the fabs split up, a global extractor build order comes to mind.
  11. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

One think that we do with walls in FAF is to place then in the ground w/ the intetion to slow the enemy... so they will make a curve on every wall!