How advanced the graphics engine will be?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by freemangl, September 13, 2012.

1. syox

syox Member

Hu?
    Are there other methods? :lol:
  2. asgo

asgo Member

why so much effort, just use text mode.
    The real strategist plans his moves on a large whiteboard, having enough underlings updating the data constantly - doesn't have to look good for them.
    This also answers the questions for the best input method, hired help all the way (family will do, as long as they jump if you say toad) :)

How can you feel like a commander if you have no one to command.
    Voice commands would be nice too, but I'm sliding off topic. ;)
  3. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Good to hear! Thank you! :)
    Heh, since when do we play these games in any other way than staring at our masses of 2D icons? :p
  4. antillie

antillie Member

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Wait... wrong game....
  5. apocatequil

apocatequil Member

Every single one of your posts. Every single one. Bravo sir, Bravo.
  6. taihus

taihus Member

Damn, I guess I'm not much of a veteran then. And here I thought that enjoying GOG.com's catalog was a sign of veterancy...
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I too would rather have SMNC over Black Ops 2.

Srsly, BlOps2 people only put up with it because it was hyped up and everyone plays it socially because everyone else does. Besides that, the game does not function in the least bit, not with connection latency even with the best connections especially when one bad player connection drops everyones latency performance and that kind of latency causing the player to have to play aiming where the enemy will be and dodging where the enemy was shooting seconds ago... and the massively failtastic balance like they specifically wanted to cater to one certain type of player.

I hope PA isn't poorly balanced, runs like a chunky brick, or has any major limiting flaws. Besides that, it will probably look very smooth compared to other rts games and to it's predecesors. So as long is its gameplay is worth years of entire days spent playing it, and it doesn't cause the eyes to be sore from straining through blurriness of bad pixelization or poor rendering, then this game will rock.
  8. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Hard core players care about pathfinding, optimization, and really solid gameplay. The things you listed don't impact any of these things.
  9. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Indeed. My thoughts were, in order:

1) What does it mean?
    2) What do I care?
    3) I hope it won't impact my PC's performance and the gameplay

:p
  10. parge

parge Member

Hard core players want all of those, AND great graphics!
  11. Nelec

Nelec Member

But it has to be pwetty! :D We aren't talking about those things here, and I don't think that is only hard core players. I think everyone can appreciate those things too.
  12. thapear

thapear Member

In my opinion, the graphics of a game must be enough to allow me to see at a glance what is happening. Beyond that, all I care about is gameplay.
    You could also go too far with graphics, like lens flares, ash rain etc. Things they use in modern fps games to make the enemy harder to see.

If they're done with everything on the kickstarter page, and have run out of gameplay things to add, sure, add all those fancy graphics things. But definitely not before.
  13. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

If it looks like an RTS from the year 2000 or so, I'd be perfectly content.