How about a built in norush option?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by doomrater, December 18, 2013.

1. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

The idea of having norush on most games is just an agreed upon ceasefire by both players, and some RTS's had that built in. But PA can do this so much harder currently, by having opposing players actually start on different planets. Early game in classic norush is almost entirely swelling economy as fast as possible, but this one encourages players to get to orbital as fast as possible to ensure control of the galaxy and advanced energy options. I'm not opposed to timer enforced norush options but I never feel like they're natural enough. PA's always been about grand scale actions.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I have never heard of "nourish" until now... But I have heard this topic and it was discussed quite often for most of the last six months.

Unless they feel it would be detrimental to let players start off on different planets (too many players would use it griefingly to set unbalanced games), or it would cause too much difficulty in gameplay balance when everyone is doing different things, then I don't understand why they don't have it either, but it is a ongoing question nonetheless.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I think the easiest way (that will already happen) for norush, is to start on different planets – like you mentioned.

If you don't want rushing to be viable, start on different planets. If you want more tactics at your disposal, start on the same planet.
  4. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I think there's enough orbital attack options available where if someone spams vanguards you could still get around it with interplanetary nukes, or if someone insisted on trying to obliterate your planet with a moon you could invade them so hard they can't get the engines working in time. Unit cannons aren't done yet and I can't wait to see how that affects planetary invasions on a mass scale. But I'm willing to wait until they feel orbital combat is balanced enough where it'd be a good idea to just have people on different planets as an option.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Orbital is WAY under developed and is actually being completely redone.

There will be plenty of invasion options in the future.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this will be one of the host options in the retail version.
  7. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

If it's coming, I'm happy. I also hope their redesign of orbital at least includes space stations and possibly mass orbital transports like motherships. Then again that idea of motherships kinda falls under a tier 3 of unit... but space stations would be nice.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well tier 3 isn't the eliminating factor in this one ...there already is tier3 (the Hailey, the orbital laser), for transports, Neutrino said for release we'd start with single-unit transports (god knows why...) the unit cannon and the teleportation gates.

he also said in an earlier stream that he's not making homeworld 3 (yes sad face) which implies orbital units will be limited and not so in-depth.

so the mothership idea is a possibility beyond release but not likely.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The game could work both ways, same-planet and multi-planet. Just having two ways will have people coming here mentioning balance issues that may not be directed torwards the intended idea behind the game. Like the game is too slow. Or the game doesn't have enough orbital. Or the game is unfair in starting locations. All a possible outcome of multiplanet. Especially if players troll and make 1 planet large with multiple useful moons, and the other planet small and by itself.

It's best use this early in the game, is for the devs to add it where individuals choose their own starting planets, and one must agree in the lobby in order to arrange a game with different starting planets. (and also players wouldn't be dumb enough to choose the underpowered planet, so troll avoided)

In my opinion at least. We never know how difficult it is for development for features like this. So it can only ever be a suggestion. The devs could see an idea an ask themselves "do they realize how difficult and time consuming adding things like that is?".

EDIT: Also, wait. Did you say "spam vanguards" at the top of your sentence? Was that a mistype or did your mind wander topics there? Or was there something I missed? Did you mean Orbital Fighters?
  10. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Just play on big planets ?. I havent seen anyone succeed with trying to rush on the big planets lol. Before they get there the other player(s) will have a huge army.