Hotfix Build 80462

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mkrater, April 14, 2015.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Haven't updated in a little while, it's asking for a 1.26GB update. This is all fine, except that it always asks me to update. I press PLAY, it verifies and updates again.

Done this about three times now. Any ideas?

EDIT: nevermind, the fourth time is the charm!
    Last edited: April 21, 2015
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Or use the alternative one. It won't bug you with verifying unless you really mean to update. That being said, I thought they had fixed the official UberLauncher from doing that.
  3. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

Well yeah, obviously. Still boring though.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You know this is going to lead to resume-anywhere saves, right? You will be able to load a save game, rewind to a specific point and start fricking playing from there! How cool is that? I don't know of any game that allows you to do that. (Though I must admit I haven't played every game in existence.)
    Remy561 likes this.
  5. lostmekka

lostmekka Member

Blizzard developed something very similar for Starcraft 2. The original purpose was to let players resume a game in tournaments, when one or more players lost connection. It turned out that it also is a good thing to have when practicing for rarely occurring but important game situations.
    The only difference is the replay format: Starcraft 2 uses input based replays, while PA uses keyframes to know what is/was going on.
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  6. perfectdark

Sounds good on paper. Still boring though, I won't ever use it.
  7. earth75

earth75 Member

Have you ever thought "man, I wish I had done this at that time..." now you can rewind your game anywhere!
    Also you can try different strategies easily to compare them. It used to be possible only with starting builds, now you can do anything.
    It will also allow for more interesting GW, by allowing to start GW matches in predefined state like it would in an Enpire Earth campaign.
    Also, bechmarking would be easier, for the guys who like to show off..

This is all I can think of now but that already plenty, isnt it?
  8. perfectdark

No, I haven't. Everytime a play someone, I watch the replay. Yes I think 'if only I had done x y and z' but I never wish to rewind it and do it there and then because that wouldn't make me a better player, noticing what I have to do in game would make me a better player.

So... in essence, no. I will never use it. The only advantage I can see it having is introducing the ability to write a more complex campaign which could then result in a re-release and a new wave of players. Not that I would play the campaign though, I'm only interested in playing people.
    Remy561 likes this.
  9. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I like that they add the save and load like this! Not that I'll use it that much, I prefer playing a complete game. I love it because of the modding capabilities of it! I'd love to see a modded ingame campaign!! :) Also it is a great feature for the GW players that are stuck on a map and really have to go. So instead of suicide they can just save and continue later. So it is a great feature to have, it just should have been implemented from the start, I think ;)
  10. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Galactic war save is already in
  11. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I know, I just used it as an example to show why the save/load feature is / could be awesome :)
    Only loading from replays and maybe multiplayer saving and the feature is complete :)
  12. perfectdark

And then we can move on to more pressing matters, like how to make the game not boring after 45 minutes of play.
    ace63 likes this.
  13. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Don't play 45 minute long matches? ;)

Seriously though, what kind of games? A 1v1 that long is probably crappy, but team games that long are still ok unless it's an orbital slugfest.
  14. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

I think that larger units similar to the experimental units should be added, not as powerful or large though, like they are just advanced units that are more expensive a a bit larger.. That and a way to use the comm in battle.

I still love the way PA is, these are just some ideas. I think I will play some now:D

EDIT: Just played, I have to ask though, did the AI get an update, cause one of the enemy AI was very good at escaping when under attack, really knew how to use those portals.
    Last edited: April 24, 2015
    Remy561 likes this.
  15. b8factor

b8factor Active Member

that is helpful
  16. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

The game is still crashing for me. I've updated all drivers, still no help. Several other players mentioned the same crashes so it's obviously a known issue....will there be a fix I've stopped playing due to this
  17. perfectdark

I mean 10 player FFAs on around 5 planets. I played a 10 player FFA on a big moon and although I thought the moon was too big to make the most out of the game (I basically just expanded and killed everyone, until I got bored), but anyway... it was mostly fun until the end.

I think the most fun you can have in the game is in the first 10-20 minutes, when your actions actually have a direct effect on the outcome. I think after a certain point tactics lessen to almost zero in importance and long term strategy completely takes over. Sure, people say they want a strategy game, but to come up with a strategy and then have to wait 10-20 minutes for everything to build is really boring. It also feels a lot more like admin at that point as you know what you have to do, it's just a lot of clicks getting it all done and a lot of monitoring and making sure everything is building how you want it to.

Just boring really, and your opponents are doing the same at that point too. nobody is attacking because to attack and lose your army means you could get counter attacked and die. Everyone just spends 20-30 minutes building up an army.

I like what they did in Supcom 2 after a while whereby they increased the output of resource generation buildings slowly over time so that your capacity to build an army increased over time so you could focus more on orchestrating your attack rather than making sure your economy is constantly growing.

If you spend your time building an army and your opponent spends their time increasing economy, and you attack their commander and lose your army, then your opponent has won. I think the balance is somewhat off here in FFA because its only wise to attack when you have enough of an army to kill someone. The slow creep of taking over land like in TA doesn't really happen that much but it is a lot better than Supcom2.

I think some smaller more interesting maps would go down a treat. The devs should spend some time looking at the community generated map designs and then putting something together in a similar format but that looks a bit better. Isn't it about time things got spiced up a bit?
  18. stephen2002

stephen2002 New Member

In one of the past builds if the AI was by itself on a planet and had built up a small force it would shut off all of its factories on that planet until an opponent landed on the planet. This was a great feature as it prevented the AI from turning their bases into massive balls of units.

This feature seems to have been removed. So sad. It makes larger systems unplayable vs the AI as the sim speed slows to a crawl.
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I don't believe this behaviour has changed, it won't build units unless:

a) There's an enemy on the planet
    b) It has a teleporter and another planet requires land assistance
  20. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

I had an AI once that was great at retreating, he knew how to use those portals well.